I can't believe no one is talking about this

Options

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Sugar also provides moisture, in addition to chemical structure. If you're going to change the amount of actual sugar you use, then you need to alter the fat content to compensate for the moisture you're taking away by using fake sugar.

Baking is science, y'all. The ingredients interact with each other in certain ways and are included in (or omitted from) a recipe for a reason.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Using the baking sugar mix works ok in cakes but not so much in other things like cookies. Tends to dry them out. Stevia also has a weird flavor that can come through.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    what's wrong with using regular sugar when baking? :huh:

The only thing I will substitute in things like brownies (box mix) or the granola I make is using applesauce in place of oil.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You're going to need to experiment with this idea. The sugars in baked goods are more than just flavor- they provide chemical structure. Reducing the sugar to 1/4 the original amount might result in a lot of deflated treats, or mushy ones that won't set or brown. Frequently you can get away with 1/2 (which is why all the splenda(etc) for baking mixes are half sugar). I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's not always going to work.
    Sugar also provides moisture, in addition to chemical structure. If you're going to change the amount of actual sugar you use, then you need to alter the fat content to compensate for the moisture you're taking away by using fake sugar.

Baking is science, y'all. The ingredients interact with each other in certain ways and are included in (or omitted from) a recipe for a reason.

30547-Yeah-Mr-White-Yeah-science-bre-s84P.gif
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't substitute my sugar in my baking ever.

Nor my butter.

Imagine what Gordon Ramsey would say.....:noway:

Gordon-Ramsay-Angry-Kitchen-CHICKIN-CROSS-THE-ROAD.jpg

HA HA HA HA HA HA

Reminds me of South Park. Giggle

Cream Faisce or however you spell it.
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    This is exhausting. For the third time, I SEE NOTHING WRONG WITH SUGAR/BUTTER/YUMMY FULL FAT FULL CAL ANYTHING. SOMETIMES I DO THAT. SOMETIMES I WANT TO TRY SOMETHING NEW AND SAVE THE CALS.
    And, I need to experiment with more recipes than just the muffins and cake I have made.
    And, baking is science.
    And, Gordon Ramsey is fine.
    And, ….nothing.

I hate Tuesdays. So much more than Mondays. :sad:
  • jlederman71
    jlederman71 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to chime in. I bought the blended Stevia/sugar and have used it for Cookies, muffins, and just made a banana bread last night. I cannot stand the after taste of any artificial sweeteners so I was skeptical. But I tell you.. it has been fantastic. No weird after taste, no change in the way the recipes came out. I am all about eating "real" food too, but to cut out half the sugar, and still get the same results in baking.... count me in. I am a fan
  • lunapetu0311
    Options
    Oh, awesome -- I didn't know this was available -- will look for it next time I go to the store! Thanks!
  • kickivale
    Options

Nor my butter.

Gordon-Ramsay-Angry-Kitchen-CHICKIN-CROSS-THE-ROAD.jpg

HA HA HA HA HA HA

Reminds me of South Park. Giggle

Cream Faisce or however you spell it.

Randy forever.

Operator: Thanks for calling the Food Network hotline. Billing is $9.95 for each 60 second period. To accept, say "Creme Fraiche".
    Randy: Creme Fraiche.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to say I'm a pioneer in this area.

I've added a dash of regular Coke to Diet Coke long before they had these "10 calorie" sodas. I've also been using a combination of sugar and Equal or Splenda to my coffee for years.

My problem is not monetizing these ideas somehow.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Randy forever.

Operator: Thanks for calling the Food Network hotline. Billing is $9.95 for each 60 second period. To accept, say "Creme Fraiche".
    Randy: Creme Fraiche.

RANDY- are you watching that channel again!!!

<no>

ha ha ha- see Tuesdays' all better- south park makes everything all better!
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Bump. good ideas, thanks
  • 100days2freedom
    Options
    Hi
    Just joined today so I realize I have no cred, YET. Would like to throw out the topic of Xyla versus stevia. I made the switch from my beloved stevia to Xyla recently and love it. Made in the USA from hardwood which is very interesting. Anyone else have thoughts?
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options

Nor my butter.

I dont have to imagin lmao
  • kickivale
    Options
    Hi
    Just joined today so I realize I have no cred, YET. Would like to throw out the topic of Xyla versus stevia. I made the switch from my beloved stevia to Xyla recently and love it. Made in the USA from hardwood which is very interesting. Anyone else have thoughts?

Hi,

the only thing I've read about xyla is that it can have a laxative effect for some people. :embarassed:
    As someone who's had some long term IBS drama, I tend to avoid anything that has digestive side effects mentioned. Remember Olean?!? That had me TORE UP the couple times I ingested it.
    If you're loving it, do your thing!
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options

Nor my butter.

Me either. I'm a baker....my diary is all over on what I make and its open so drool all ya want. Gordon Ramsey would kick me out in a heartbeat ! No subs here!!
    I NEVER EVAH want this to happen:

getout.gif
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried that, but I don't really bake much...

In response to everyone saying they hate Stevia, it IS an acquired taste, I hated it too at first, and now use it in my coffee and don't notice the taste at all.

If you cut ALL sugar out for 1-2 weeks, and only use Stevia to sweeten anything, at the end of the time you won't taste that aftertaste from the Stevia anymore.

Of course now I use sugar too, I see nothing wrong with having a REAL cookie if I make room for it in my calorie goal.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I don't really like Stevia. When I use a sub it's Splenda. When I bake I cut the sugar by half, and replace half of what I use with Splenda. It depends on what I'm baking though. It works most of the time for cookies and quick breads. I only reduce the sugar for cakes, I don't use Splenda then.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. I've seen it said that you can cut the amount of sugar in half for recipes (I literally just cut it out, and you can't tell), and as someone mentioned, that's why the baking blends exist, you still need half the sugar in it, so it's half stevia and half sugar. So, why if a recipe calls for 1 cup sugar would you used half the mix? 1 cup of the mix would still be "half the sugar", but you still need to use the full cup.
  • kickivale
    Options
    I'm confused. I've seen it said that you can cut the amount of sugar in half for recipes (I literally just cut it out, and you can't tell), and as someone mentioned, that's why the baking blends exist, you still need half the sugar in it, so it's half stevia and half sugar. So, why if a recipe calls for 1 cup sugar would you used half the mix? 1 cup of the mix would still be "half the sugar", but you still need to use the full cup.

The blend is half sugar, half stevia.
    If the recipe called for a cup, you would only use 1/2 of a cup.
    Why?
    Because Stevia is much sweeter. You need less.