eating grapefruit?

Options
Has anybody tried eating grapefruit after their meals to lose weight and has it worked?

Replies

• Itsindakiss
    Options
    Has anybody tried eating grapefruit after their meals to lose weight and has it worked?
  • colbyfosmark
    Options
    I haven't tried eating a grapefruit after a meal but i usually replaced a snack with one. If i am feeling hungry in the afternoon I eat a grapefruit with no sweetener. They are pretty filling and definately better than a bag of chips.
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I love grapefruit. I have never eaten them right after a meal in hopes of losing weight. I do find that they are a very filling snack though. I use Splenda on mine. When I eat them I do lose weight. Right now we don’t have any really good ones available in the stores. Every time I go to the store I check to see if they have gotten any good ones in yet. So far no luck.
    :flowerforyou:
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    :tongue: ya i heard grapefruit is a good source to losing weight,,did you all know pinapple is a natural diaretic:love:
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I eat a whole grapefruit for breakfast. They are so filling. I like to peel them like an orange better than cutting them up. I never us sweetener either.
  • Loretta_Jo
    Options
    :tongue: ya i heard grapefruit is a good source to losing weight,,did you all know pinapple is a natural diaretic:love:

No I never hear that about pineapple but I do know that lemon is a diuretic.
    I love fresh pineapple but I have to be very careful with it and other foods. Long story short….I have an odd food allergy. I have to watch out for foods hidden in other foods….like juice used as a sweetener etc…. I get violently ill if I eat or drink these things mixed together. I can eat and drink them separately but not together. Pineapple is one of them.
    I do buy a fresh pineapple from time to time. They are so so yummy. I could eat the whole thing by my self lol
    Thanks for the info that is good to know about pineapple.
    I am now wanting a fresh pineapple….I may have to go to the store and get one hehehe
  • Loretta_Jo
    Options
    I eat a whole grapefruit for breakfast. They are so filling. I like to peel them like an orange better than cutting them up. I never us sweetener either.

When I eat grapefruit I eat the whole thing also. I peel the whole thing in sections then break them up and eat them with a spoon out of a bowl. They are yummy also.
    :flowerforyou:
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Anything Citris is LOADED with Vit C.
    Citris is also loaded with water.
    If your body gets more Vit C then it can process, it dumps it out of your body....
    IE: Diuretic.
    So Yes, these little gems are really good for you.
    They are filling and healthy and do help you lose a little weight.
    But this goes for the WHOLE citrus family!
    Oranges, Grapefruit, Limes, Lemons, and pineapple. and tomatoes. (One the low scale but still in the acidic citrus group)
    But do not go too overboard on them, Cankersores are NO FUN AT ALL:noway:
    --Diann...
  • Itsindakiss
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everybody!:smile:
  • lovableditz
    Options
    i have never heard of eating grape fruit after meals but i suppose its worth a try. i like grapefruit cause its negetive calories. i like celery for the same reason
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt they'd help you lose any body fat since they do contain calories, and if you eat a grapefruit after every meal, chances are you're adding quite a bit to your caloric intake. Water weight, yes, but that's not a great help. Unfortunately, no food has 'negative' calories. Whatever calories a food has, those are available to your body and will be used. Even fiber can be leeched of up to 2 galories per gram in your gut, but the benefits far outweigh the issue of such minimal amounts.

When I was little my grandpa used to cut the grapefruit in half, and then sprinkle sugar on top, and then (the best part) he'd add a maraschino cherry to the top and pour the cherry juice on! :happy: So yummy! Unfortunately now I eat them with just Splenda:tongue:
  • lovableditz
    Options
    yes grape fruit do contain calories but it takes more calories for your body to digest grape fruit then they contain. thats why people say grape fruit have negitive calories.
  • dncr8707
    Options
    i LOVE grapefruit too, i dont eat them with sugar....just plain as it is. I did hear that if you are on birth control it makes it less effective...well, thats what i hear. i'll look it up though
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    yes grape fruit do contain calories but it takes more calories for your body to digest grape fruit then they contain. thats why people say grape fruit have negitive calories.

One medium grapefruit (4 in. in diameter) has 82 calories; 21g of carbs, 2g of fiber, and 1.5 g of protein. It does not have negative calories. It has nutritive calories mostly in the form of fructose, a type of sugar. Nothing negative about it unfortunately. If you're eating 2 of these a day, you're adding 165 calories to your intake.