I can't do cardio anymore. Ideas for other types of training

Options
Hi.
I've been on a diet since March the 3rd last year. i lost around 23 kg up until now. I have around 35 kg to go. I started power walking and moved to running after around six months. I had a knee injury so i have to stop running for 3-6 months. I would like ides for exercise (toning maybe?) other than cardio. I hate going to the gym. Please help. and keep in mind i am still obese.

thanks.

Replies

• wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Check with your doctor, but maybe swimming?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Strength training is always a good thing....help you preserve muscle mass while on a diet

Here are some ideas.....dumbbells ....bands

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/l/blupperbody.htm

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/l/blbandworkout.htm

You might try some chair workouts for cardio.....I'm not sure how challenging they are

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jessica+smith+chair+workout&sm=1
  • tpligon
    tpligon Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What type of knee injury did you have? Ask a sports medicine doctor about exercises but here are a few that I do with a torn meniscus in my right knee and arthritis and degenerative changes in both just to name a few of the problems. None of these are going to get any better than they are right now for me. Pain and swelling in my knees are common. Even though I was told not to jog I still will.
    Walking
    Biking
    Swimming
    Weight training
  • lunapetu0311
    Options
    Can you use a stationary bike? Maybe you can find a used one on Craiglist to save money. That should be an exercise that is easy on the knees. I would also continue walking if that doesn't hurt your knees. Then you can add in some strength training to your arms with hand weights. Good luck!
  • hmmubarak
    Options
    Wannakimmy
    Thanks for the advice but i'm not a fan of the gym.

TeaBea
    Thanks! i will definite look into that even if i returned to cardio. i have to start toning.

tpligon
    It's called Patellofemoral pain. my GP suggested i rest my knees fro three months then start physiotherapy.

lunapetunia
    My issues that walking/jogging/running outside is the only form of cardio i like.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Have you tried chair aerobics?

Seated boxing?

When my back or legs are bothering me, I love doing the cycling and canoeing from Wii Resorts. I can't explain it, but it makes me happy.
  • piinchi
    piinchi Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    How about boxing/punching exercises? It gets your heart rate up but you can even do it while sitting down. Jabs, hooks, etc. Swimming also is really helpful - you don't have to kick, put a kickboard under your chest and use your arms to pull through the water. How about yoga and pilates? A lot of floor work can be done modified so your knees don't get too much strain.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Toning means creating muscle, fyi. Resistance exercises help with that. I'd check with your doctor to figure out what kinds of cardio/exercise you're healthfully able to do, and learn a way to enjoy them. Water walking isn't technically swimming, but it eliminates the impact aspect of "walking" while adding resistance, for example.