c25k issues - cold weather running!

Options
So I started c25k and started running. I loved it and made it three weeks in, and even signed up for a 5k in mid april.

Then the treadmill at my work broke (about 2 weeks ago)

I can't afford a gym membership, and I live in Minnesota. So it has been pretty decently below 0 for nearly a month.

What is a safe temperature to run? I am so afraid of losing endurance, I am sure I have lost most of it. I am still doing other exercise but I haven't run in 13 days. Most of what I see online suggests not to run at a wind chill below 20. If that is the case, I will not be able to run outside for a long time.

Any suggestions??

Replies

• shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Plenty of people run in the cold. A few tips are to dress in layers (tight/wicking base layer, sweater-type layer, wind-breaking layer), wear a warm hat, neck warmer, mitts, etc... Make sure you warm up sufficiently, you can even warm up a bit inside before you head out.

Obviously, if it is super cold, be careful you don't get frostbite on any exposed skin. If you are doing C25k though, you probably won't be out there that long.

ETA: Cold can aggravate asthma, just in case you have it.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    My profile picture is from a morning 5miles where the air temp was -5F and the windchill -15f! That's about my personal limit! Dress in layers and try to warmup your muscles before going out, jumping jacks, lunges, running in place, mountain climbers are all a good way to warm up the legs!
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    This may be obvious but since you are doing it on the treadmill I'd like to make you aware that it's much harder when running outdoors. Just take it nice and slow and remember to breathe!
  • cadillacblues87
    Options
    Thanks, all. I am very anxious to get outdoors so that I can get myself prepared for my race. I'm mostly concerned about
    1. Running outside would mean before or after work - taking time away with my son.
    2. The treadmill at work was perfect because it wasn't much difficulty to get myself away from the desk. I'm worried about motivating to get up in the frigid morning and leave my toddler, etc. Much more difficult to talk myself into it!