Great alternative for Ice cream lovers!

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Ok everyone, as the OP I just want to make clear that I never said Ice Cream is bad. All I intended to do was to give an alternative if you don't want to/can't/shouldn't (whatever) eat the real stuff. I have these and real ice cream in my freezer (among other things, some of which are probably filled with additives). I deal.

I believe you claimed that ice cream is not "exactly healthy" to which some took exception to. There is nothing wrong with ice cream, and nothing exactly unhealthy about it.

It depends on what you mean by "exactly unhealthy", though something not being "exactly unhealthy", would not by default make it "exactly healthy". There are nutrition experts that would likely agree that ice cream is"not exactly healthy".

do those same experts recommend eating lots of cool whip and graham crackers?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • danie2010dw
    danie2010dw Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i LOVE THE OPS IDEA FOR THE LACTOSE INTOLLERANCE IN ME
  • mccindy72
    Options
    i LOVE THE OPS IDEA FOR THE LACTOSE INTOLLERANCE IN ME

Good for you - buy why are you shouting?

ETA there are some pretty damned delicious Lactaid ice creams out there. Cookies and cream being a personal favorite of mine.
  • danie2010dw
    Options
    NOTSHOUTING WHERE I WORK THE COMPUTER IS ALWAYS ON CAPS....SORRY GOSH U GUYS SURE KNOW HOW TO NIT-PICK LOL GOSH...
  • danie2010dw
    Options
    YEA THANKS FOR THE TIP I ACTUALLY LIKE COOL WHIP...SORRY LOL
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    NOTSHOUTING WHERE I WORK THE COMPUTER IS ALWAYS ON CAPS....SORRY GOSH U GUYS SURE KNOW HOW TO NIT-PICK LOL GOSH...

Pro-tip: if you press the "caps lock" key again, it temporarily turns it off. Press it again to reengage cruise control for cool.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Ok everyone, as the OP I just want to make clear that I never said Ice Cream is bad. All I intended to do was to give an alternative if you don't want to/can't/shouldn't (whatever) eat the real stuff. I have these and real ice cream in my freezer (among other things, some of which are probably filled with additives). I deal.

I believe you claimed that ice cream is not "exactly healthy" to which some took exception to. There is nothing wrong with ice cream, and nothing exactly unhealthy about it.

It depends on what you mean by "exactly unhealthy", though something not being "exactly unhealthy", would not by default make it "exactly healthy". There are nutrition experts that would likely agree that ice cream is"not exactly healthy".

If aksed, probably a no to Cool Whip, but generally healthy eating recommendations are not brand specific. Graham crackers vary so much in content, you'd probably have to be more specific.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I wouldn't worry about it. Many people on these forums seem to have their happiness tied to ice cream. And posts that mention it in anything other than a loving and reverent manner usually go bad quickly.

Yeah, no bias in this post.

You did, however, omit the part about people having an irrational fear of certain foods and a strong compulsion to make "good foods/bad foods" lists every time they attempt to get back on the wagon/this time it's for real/this approach has worked for me several times in the past/etc.

I omitted a lot of things because they didn't apply to the post to which I replied.
  • BreatheAshley
    BreatheAshley Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Sherbert Ice Cream is low in calories too.

Oh and Frozen Yogurt too.
  • mccindy72
    Options

If aksed, probably a no to Cool Whip, but generally healthy eating recommendations are not brand specific. Graham crackers vary so much in content, you'd probably have to be more specific.

I can't imagine the "nutrition experts" would worry too much about a couple of crackers, really? If they really are experts, they'd probably tell you some crackers and a little bit of Cool Whip is fine, if you are eating a fairly balanced diet. And a little bit of ice cream is fine too.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I wouldn't worry about it. Many people on these forums seem to have their happiness tied to ice cream. And posts that mention it in anything other than a loving and reverent manner usually go bad quickly.

honestly i think the biggest issue was that the OP gave us a 150 cal alternative to 110 cal ice cream sandwiches. no time or cost savings either. if you love ice cream, why would you spend time creating a higher calorie equivalent?

i couldn't care less if people eat ice cream, cool whip, pop tarts, or avoid them like the plague. personal choice and all that. but the premise of this thread is seriously flawed, IMO.

When did she say she was replacing 110 calorie ice cream sandwiches? Even Skinny Cow and Weight Watchers ice cream sandwiches are usually more than 110 calories.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I can't imagine the "nutrition experts" would worry too much about a couple of crackers, really? If they really are experts, they'd probably tell you some crackers and a little bit of Cool Whip is fine, if you are eating a fairly balanced diet. And a little bit of ice cream is fine too.

They'd probably ask what you meant by "a little bit". But you are veering off subject.
  • mccindy72
    Options

They'd probably ask what you meant by "a little bit". But you are veering off subject.

How is comparing graham crackers and Cool Whip to ice cream and the nutritional value of each veering off subject? Wasn't that the heart of the OP?
  • bcattoes
    Options

How is comparing graham crackers and Cool Whip to ice cream and the nutritional value of each veering off subject? Wasn't that the heart of the OP?

My post was about the OP's use of the phrase "not exactly healthy" re: ice cream and the fact that there are experts who would agree.
  • mccindy72
    Options

My post was about the OP's use of the phrase "not exactly healthy" re: ice cream and the fact that there are experts who would agree.

There are 'experts' who will agree with many things; that doesn't make them right. And the composition of a graham cracker doesn't determine it's criteria for meeting health standards in the graham cracker industry.
  • bcattoes
    Options

There are 'experts' who will agree with many things; that doesn't make them right. And the composition of a graham cracker doesn't determine it's criteria for meeting health standards in the graham cracker industry.

I have no idea why you put the word experts in quotes or what the second sentence means. What are the "health standards in the graham cracker industry" and what has it to do with the OP or my post?
  • mccindy72
    Options

I have no idea why you put the word experts in quotes or what the second sentence means. What are the "health standards in the graham cracker industry" and what has it to do with the OP or my post?

The whole point of all of it is that is does not matter. It's a treat. Just eat it and count it in your calories for the day, and enjoy it. It's not going to hurt you unless you over eat it every day.
  • bcattoes
    Options

The whole point of all of it is that is does not matter. It's a treat. Just eat it and count it in your calories for the day, and enjoy it. It's not going to hurt you unless you over eat it every day.

Oh, I read it differently. I thought the point was that ice cream was too high in calories to fit the OP's plan so she was sharing a lower calorie alternative she liked.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Oh, I read it differently. I thought the point was that ice cream was too high in calories to fit the OP's plan so she was sharing a lower calorie alternative she liked.

she made the claim that cool whip and graham crackers are healthier than ice cream, which was what some took an exception to. Additionally, I do not really see the need to replace a servicing of ice cream which is about 210 calories with her 130 calorie option ...is the 80 saved calories really worth it? I guess...

and then of course there was the "zucchini ice cream" *gags* substitute suggestion...
  • bcattoes
    Options

she made the claim that cool whip and graham crackers are healthier than ice cream, which was what some took an exception to. Additionally, I do not really see the need to replace a servicing of ice cream which is about 210 calories with her 130 calorie option ...is the 80 saved calories really worth it? I guess...

and then of course there was the "zucchini ice cream" *gags* substitute suggestion...

Yes, I am aware. But if she is overweight and one caused her to gain weight or remain overweight, and one helped her lose weight, then she is not necessarily incorrect.

While I have no way of knowing the calories in her ice cream, since they can vary greatly, what is "worth it" is always personal. It seemed obvious to me that the OP did not always think ice cream worth it by the fact that she was excited about her alternative.