Motivation to keep working out.

Options
Hello all,
So when I started out with MFP, I was 150+ lbs, I now am 115lbs and I feel amazing. I am very dedicated to watching what I eat and working out for an hour every morning, the only thing that I am scared of is losing my drive to work out and or quitting it all together. Some times I feel lazy and dont want to work out, but I push myself and work out any ways. I am just wondering what everyone else does to stick with it for the long term and to stay motivated.

Replies

• arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I have the same fear, but for me I'm more worried about the eating than the exercising.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    working out is work...

I don't like work

so I have a hobby I enjoy it's called lifting weights.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    people who do this that are athletes or training for an event- or have a goal in mind are not driven by motivation- they are driven by the goal.

it's Monday. Monday means dead lifts- even if I don't "feel" like going- am totally unmotivated have a nasty head ache- whatever.
    I go.
    Because it's Monday. And on Monday I lift.

Do the thing often enough and it becomes the thing that you do. It's not about motivation- it's just what you do. So go do it.

motivation is for people who want to work out once or twice a week
    motivation is for people who "just fit it in" because they are soooooo busy
    motivation is for people who don't really care.

Just go do it. Because it's what you want- because it's what you do.

feelings don't drive training.
  • Fitastic14
    Options
    Hello all,
    So when I started out with MFP, I was 150+ lbs, I now am 115lbs and I feel amazing. I am very dedicated to watching what I eat and working out for an hour every morning, the only thing that I am scared of is losing my drive to work out and or quitting it all together. Some times I feel lazy and dont want to work out, but I push myself and work out any ways. I am just wondering what everyone else does to stick with it for the long term and to stay motivated.

My experience:

May 2013, I 'forced' myself to workout 30 mins/day, 5 days/week for 3 weeks. Ever since, I CRAVE exercise and workout min. 30 mins/day, 6 days week! lol

Good luck!

Focus on how great you feel mentally and physically once you get sweatin! =)
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I just wish I liked it more.
    working out is work...

I don't like work

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I just wish I liked it more.
    working out is work...

I don't like work

Key is finding something you do like/love...

I was doing cardio....ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh couldn't maintain it.
    I started doing Wii Dance, that was fun....ciruct training not too bad....(short amount of time)
    HIIT not bad either short amount of time as well

But lifting...ah...

I can't tonight because I have to do a photo shoot with the local karate club...:sad: :sad: :sad: so I will do HIIT tonight and do my lifting tomorrow....:drinker:

But still not impressed with the not being able to do it tonight..
  • shelbymckerrell
    Options
    Love it!
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Elliott Hulse (the Strengthcamp guy) posted a video where he said motivation is underrated, but consistency was the real key. If you wait around for amass that amazing feeling where you're absolutely dying to work out, it's never going to happen. Find something that you enjoy, and just start doing it.
  • ColieMarieL
    ColieMarieL Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ah, I need to remember this. I too lack motivation to go work out. Sometimes it gets the best of me. This is my first time living with someone who doesn't like to workout - before I had workout partners literally in my house who would drag me to go work out. So now I find going on my own is so hard.
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Maybe find some other activity that you like better. For example, I'm going roller skating tonight with my daughter at the roller rink. Very fun and very good exercise. Maybe get some peeps together and go play sand VB at the park (unless you live where the snow is covering the sand like I do haha). Shoot some hoops at the gym, go swimming, walk the dog, clean the house. :) Whatever you like to do that gets you moving is a good start. When I was really lazy, I used to watch TV standing up.
  • perfectflightisbeingthere
    Options
    I agree with everything above - give yourself a goal so that you are training for something and then include lots of variety and keep it fun. Some people thrive on a set routine, but personally I get a bit stale if I just do the same stuff week in week out....
  • Kookyk9s
    Kookyk9s Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Now if you are going to win any battle, you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired.

George S. Patton