Does melatonin work?

Options
I've been suffering from insomnia for months now. I either cant fall asleep, or I cant stay asleep and I wake up every hour and toss and turn. My sister uses melatonin at 5mg and it works for her. I'm always a bit wary of pills, but I think I should take it tonight if I cant sleep. Who else uses it? is it safe? is 5 mg to much or to little?

Replies

• shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I use it occasionally. Sometimes it seems to work, other times it doesn't. Get some you can dissolve under your tongue if you can, it works better (apparently).

ETA: It is generally considered safe, but should not be used for extended periods of time.
  • gotfatincollege89
    gotfatincollege89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Melatonin works great for me. It's categorized as a dietary supplement rather than a medication if that makes you feel better. About an hour after taking it, I always feel sleep and can fall asleep much more easily.

Other things you can do to help - do you nap during the day? Do you sit/lay on your bed a lot during the day? If so, stopping those things can help you sleep better at night.
  • kiwigal41
    kiwigal41 Posts: 1,059
    Options
    as far as I know.....melatonin is something that the body makes naturally anyway so it would be safer to take that than some chemical sleeping pill....I'm not sure about dosage though......I have a co-worker who uses it and takes it about an hour before they want to go to bed.....it doesn't work as fast as a regular sleeping pill I don't think......
  • 1234terri
    1234terri Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    It's worked for me for yeas, but you have to take it *way* before sleep time, like 1-2 hrs. Also, do NOT take a bunch, like 5+ MG. try to find 1 mg. Or 3, but keep the dose low. It is a hormone and high doses are not good.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I've been suffering from insomnia for months now. I either cant fall asleep, or I cant stay asleep and I wake up every hour and toss and turn. My sister uses melatonin at 5mg and it works for her. I'm always a bit wary of pills, but I think I should take it tonight if I cant sleep. Who else uses it? is it safe? is 5 mg to much or to little?

Have you consulted your doctor yet?
  • venus_blue
    venus_blue Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yes, for many people it does work. I've taken it for years for occasional insomnia. After you take it, try switching off all the lights and electronics for at least 30 minutes before you go to bed or settle down to sleep. This will help you r body secrete the hormone on it's own as well.

I would advise to not take too high a dose, it can cause very active/vivid dream states in some people if they take too much.
  • Sactown900
    Sactown900 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Never worked for me. I even added Magnesium.

What works is not eating three hours before bed, six workouts a week, I stopped drinking coffee and read something boring for an hour at bed-time.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    For me melatonin works for getting me to sleep, but it does not keep me asleep. I'll usually take 10mg to get to sleep on some nights that I know I need to get to bed early, but if I am having a restless night it will not keep me asleep.

For me, going for a walk at night usually helps (if its nice out). In the winter, I'll usually end up cleaning something. lol.
  • Ddmck1
    Ddmck1 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It does help but it is a short term solution. If you take it too long your brain will quit producing it on its own and you are worse off. I will take it on occasion if my sleep schedule has gotten way out of whack. There are things you can do to naturally boost your brains production of melatonin. Light can suppress melatonin production so I like to turn things down about an hour before bed. Low light... no TV or computer or anything back-lit.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest speaking to your doctor first in case there are underlying mitigating issues.

As far as lifting - while I think it's a good complement to my workout goals, it isn't for everyone, and really doesn't have the bearing here that nutellabrah was trying to give it. Plenty of people lift and have insomnia or don't lift and have it, etc and so on.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I was like that through almost all of my 20's and 30's. This helped:
    http://www.amazon.com/Reset-Your-Inner-Clock-Drug-Free-ebook/dp/B00CS74WGQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392160924&sr=8-2&keywords=chronotherapy

(ETA and I wasn't 'catabolic' for two solid decades.)
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I take a 3mg. sublingual melatonin every night and it works for me.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I believe that most sleep experts would advise you to look to improving your 'sleep hygiene" before trying an aide. That is, to make sure you are not: Going to bed too early or going to bed at vastly different times on different nights; not reading or watching TV in bed; continuing to lay there when you cannot sleep, instead of getting up and walking around or reading/drinking some warm milk; avoiding caffeine drinks; etc.
    There are a number of good sleep habits that experts recommend. Google "sleep hygiene." You should find a list.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    As others have stated, it is a natural hormone your body produces- but you need to careful not to counteract it-
    They make 1 mg. pills- you might want to look for that dosage-
    or, if you can't find, cut the 5 mg. pill in 1/2.
    It's always best to find the lowest dosage that works for you- no need to take extra if 1 mg. works, right?

Avoid chocolate, coffee, tea (even decaf has *some* caffeine) in it at least 4 hrs before bedtime
    and other things that might play a part in getting you wired up- surfing the internet, social media, watching TV, etc.
    Try turning off all that stuff as well and UNwind

And, lastly, I also don't have any little ones at home anymore, so I'm able to block out any other outside noises
    with soft foam earplugs
    and eyeshades to help dim the lights even darker.

That combination of things has helped me considerably....
    but like I said, if I add caffeine to the mix...no am't of melatonin helps.

Best Wishes for a Good night's sleep
    :wink:
  • SouthernMommy11
    Options
    My obgyn recommended it while I am breastfeeding bc its fine
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I take it often, and I get plenty of exercise and take vitamins, yet I have sleep issues. My doc said taking melatonin is fine. Talk to your doctor, and if there are no reasons you shouldn't be taking it, theres no harm.

I`ve been taking it pretty consistently for about a year, yet im not addicted.....
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I've been suffering from insomnia for months now. I either cant fall asleep, or I cant stay asleep and I wake up every hour and toss and turn. My sister uses Melatonin at 5mg and it works for her. I'm always a bit wary of pills, but I think I should take it tonight if I cant sleep. Who else uses it? is it safe? is 5 mg to much or to little?
    I swear by it! I would suggest you not start at 5mg though, perhaps 2mg to start out as that's what many ppl take if they are having slight issues. Hopefully your body will reset and you can go off them or stay at a low dose.

The ones I take are capsules and the brand I use is below.. I really have found this brand to work best for me. I've tried others and to me they aren't all the same.

Here's a great article that explains a bit more about how it works, why and when it works best.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/tc/melatonin-overview

I find it works very well for me, particularly during the long days of Winter when the level of light is far less than Summer. I take 5mg of Sundown Naturals brand, Super Snooze Melatonin Formula.

Good Luck... also I agree, perhaps check with your doctor or a pharmacist to figure out the best dosage and be sure there's nothing else going on first.

:smile:
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Lol...are you just sitting there refreshing your page waiting to answer every single comment???

Everyone is different, do what works for you, because guess what??? You don't know everything!!
  • NancieFeatherston
    NancieFeatherston Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I personally consult with my doctor and if I need medication he prescribes it. The doctor is your best educated resource frankly, not folks on MFP, nor your sister and her prescription. Your right too, its not anyone's business if you take a multi vitamin, nor that you suffer from insomnia either.