Does melatonin work?

Options

Replies

• WhisperAnne
    Options
    is it safe to split a 5mg pill in half?
  • RunningSparkes
    Options
    as long as its a solid one - if its capsule its suppose to stay as a capsule
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    i sleep through everything with melatonin! and wake up ready to destroy the day! though...i've heard of people that hate it. something you gotta try. like dark beer..some people like it, some don't
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    My daughter uses it from time to time. 5 mg is a bit much for her and makes her sleepy the next day, but 3 mg works fine. Either use melatonin or valerian. I'm a fan of valerian because it works faster.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    As for the melatonin - there's a 10mg time release that works REALLLLY well for me. 5 mg wasn't enough for me and the 10mg puts me to sleep but I don't stay asleep.

Try the 5mg and go from there. Good luck to the OP.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I take Melatonin on an occasional basis. This is a medication found in the vitamin isle, there for - not regulated.

I take 3mg and it works like a charm! It is very helpful for individuals who work night shifts, or like myself, can not fall a sleep due to anxiety. 3 mg is good for me - I take it 1 hour before bed, and by the time the hour is up I can hardly keep my eyes open.

You can become dependant on Melatonin if you take it daily for long periods of time. I have also heard that you can develop an increased tolerance (you need a higher dosage for it to work) I am not a doctor, but I would not recommend this product for daily use because of this.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    OP: I have the 5 mg pills and I usually split them in half when I'm struggling to sleep...which is a couple nights a week. If I'm still wired and mind-racing after an hour, I'll take the other half. I've suffered from some sleep issues since the birth of my first kidlet, I was prescribed Ambien, but I hated it.

Oh, and NutellaBrah, I *do* lift, so your, "do you even lift?" argument is invalid.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    is it safe to split a 5mg pill in half?
    If it's not a time released pill it should be fine. Obviously if you have capsules of any type that won't work either.

Sorry you're getting such heat from the crowd, there's some great responses and the others are blocked so I can only imagine how ridiculous those posts are.

Take what you need and leave the rest on a thread like this... fighting over who's lifting and who's not doesn't have much of anything to do with your original question OP.:wink: Just ignore them, maybe they'll go away, or put them on ignore, it makes the threads much shorter.:drinker:

ETA: Absolutely agree with trying some tea to relax in the evening ... mecaseyrn suggests Yoga/tea etc., most definitely good ways to relax and unwind from the day. :flowerforyou: :heart:

Some brands come with Magnesium in the Melatonin brand, which mine does. I think that's what helps relax me and keep me sleeping restfully the entire night. I've never felt that druggy feeling or anything waking up like prescription pills sometimes leave you with.
  • mecaseyrn
    mecaseyrn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Melatonin is great. The thing you need to remember is that it needs to be taken at bedtime for about 1 week to 2 weeks before you see the full effect. You can start at 1 mg and go all the way up to 10 mg. As someone said before, the disolvable kind works better than the digested kind and if you can take it on an empty stomach it works even better. Give yourself 8-9 hours from when you take it until you need to function. It can make you drowsy in the AM but after a week or two that side effect is gone. In addition if you are a migraine or headache sufferer start at low doses. Another great thing to try with it is Magnesium which I think someone also suggested. If you want to go even more homeopathic try chamomile tea and yoga right before bed (haters gonna hate on this one.)

Most of all, talk to your doctor. This can be a signal of something more worrisome such as Hypothyroidism.

Other adjustments:
    No TV, cell phone or laptop 1 hour before bed
    Exercise daily, cardio, lifting, etc can help but give yourself good recovery time
    Do not eat within 4 hours of going to sleep
    No caffeine after 2 pm
    No water or carbs after 6pm
    Remember the bedroom is for sleep and sex, nothing else.
  • WheezyFbb
    WheezyFbb Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've been suffering from insomnia for months now. I either cant fall asleep, or I cant stay asleep and I wake up every hour and toss and turn. My sister uses melatonin at 5mg and it works for her. I'm always a bit wary of pills, but I think I should take it tonight if I cant sleep. Who else uses it? is it safe? is 5 mg to much or to little?

Melatonin does not appear to be helpful in most people who have insomnia, except in people with delayed sleep phase syndrome (i.e. people who take a long time to fall asleep).

Judging by the fact that you've had difficulty STAYING asleep due to frequent wakening for months, I'd recommend you go see your doctor. While your insomnia could be easily remedied by practicing good sleep hygiene, it could also be due to an underlying medical condition, in which case you'd need to take care of that first.

Considering that chronic insomnia can have serious consequences in your physical and mental health, I strongly urge you not to self-medicate with dietary supplements like melatonin and to go see someone who knows what they're talking about.
  • spilledmilk
    spilledmilk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I used to take up to 6mg per night when I had insomnia. It would help me fall asleep, but I would still wake up during the night. I couldn't turn my brain off. I suffered for many months, and the melatonin slowly stopped working.

The thing that finally worked for me... ear plugs. I started to notice my brain would focus on anything it could, even quiet ambient noises like the heat/air switching on, cars passing, even my significant other's breathing pattern. Earplugs completely blocked out everything, and would allow me to sleep through the night. I've been wearing them every night for about 3 years now. I've become so used to them, I basically black out as soon as I put them in lol. The only downside is that I have a lot of trouble falling asleep without them (if I forget to pack them while traveling for example)

Good luck!
  • cathie1224
    Options
    I have been using Melatonin for 2 years now and have always split my 5 mg. in half. When I used the larger dose I felt groggy in the morning. Of course everyone is different. I did see an excerpt on Dr. Oz once and apparently the doctor said that Melatonin is a hormone and anything above 2mg. is of no value anyway and will leave you with feeling like you have a hangover the next morning.
    The doctor said that the only people that would benefit from a slightly larger dose would be seniors because they do not produce as much Melatonin as they get older and individuals with Autism/ADD etc. that have significant sleep issues.
    I take mine about half hour before bed and turn the TV off etc.
    Good luck!:
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    It works but sometimes you wake up groggy. :yawn:
  • outhelia
    outhelia Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, and with no side effects. I only use it once every couple of months.
  • WheezyFbb
    WheezyFbb Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ooh, those are some well-researched, peer-reviewed studies...not.

Since you asked for it, here are the results of a meta-analysis comparing melatonin (2mg to 5mg with placebo):

Results

Nineteen studies involving 1683 subjects were included in this meta-analysis. Melatonin demonstrated significant efficacy in reducing sleep latency (weighted mean difference (WMD) = 7.06 minutes [95% CI 4.37 to 9.75], Z = 5.15, p<0.001) and increasing total sleep time (WMD = 8.25 minutes [95% CI 1.74 to 14.75], Z = 2.48, p = 0.013).

The Efficacy and Safety of Exogenous Melatonin for Primary Sleep Disorders: A Meta-Analysis
    J Gen Intern Med. 2005 December; 20(12): 1151–1158. doi: 10.1111/j.1525-1497.2005.0243.x

While these findings were statistically significant, I wouldn't consider them clinically significant. Adding 8 minutes on average to your total sleep time isn't going to do diddly-squat for most people with insomnia. You are basically better off with just about any other FDA approved drug with an indication for insomnia.
  • Tdacks
    Tdacks Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I lived with insomnia since I was a little kid, and I only finally addressed it a few years ago. I highly recommend the professional and objective attention of a mental health counselor, not necessarily a medical doctor. A counselor will dig into the reasons behind why your sleep is disturbed, and what you can change in your daily routine to improve your "sleep hygene." Melatonin was one of the things I tried, and I don't know if it is placebo effect or not, but it helped. Funny I've seen studies that show that placebo effect works even if you know/believe that you are getting the placebo. The mind loves to trick itself :)

Some of the things recommended for me:

30-60 minutes before bedtime:
    Melatonin, if you want to try it
    Brief/easy/relaxing stretches
    A warm, non-caffeinated beverage (tea, chamomile, just warm water, etc.)
    Write a list of the things you are worrying about, or the things you need to do in the morning (gets it out of your head, so you aren't worrying all night that you will forget it)
    Turn off all electronics and overhead lights

At bedtime:
    As quiet and dark as you can manage in your sleeping area
    A glass of water by the bedside, so you aren't forced to get up and go to the kitchen in the middle of the night
    15 minute meditation. I use the Mountain Cabin audio found at http://www.excelatlife.com/downloads.htm

My insomnia was a symptom of a deeper problem, but sleep hygiene is important for everyone. I also recommend tracking your sleep on a daily basis, as this helps me realize when my bedtime is drifting too late, or when I am sacrificing sleep for schoolwork, etc. I use a phone app called SleepBot.

**EDIT**
    Also, of course, I was recommended to continue exercising, because it improves mood and general health, and both of these are good for sleep. No mention of some magical lifting routine, just good regular exercise that you enjoy.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I use it and it is very safe. Melatonin is a hormone that your body already produces to regulate your "internal clock". However, studies have shown that it does not work with someone with insomnia from anxiety. It will work for delayed sleep onset caused by disrupted sleep patterns (such as shift workers). It can help you program your body to sleep when you want to, if you take it every night at the same time. It could take up to 3 months for your body to begin to get tired at that designated time.