Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I lift and occasionally have insomnia.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I use melatonin, I use 5mg melt tabs, they just help you feel sleepier and relaxed, but aren't strong
    My daughter swears by valerian root either tea or pills, also a natural supplement, but I have never tried that.
    try one and drink some chamomile tea about an hour before bed.
    Also turn off all electronics a good hour before too, no computer, tv or phone since they stimulate to stay awake.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Grehlin is the hormone that your brain produces to tell you when to eat. Melatonin is the hormone that your brain produces to tell you when to sleep. It is completely safe and already exists in your body. The levels of melatonin vary with your sleep patterns. If you try to sleep when the melatonin in your brain is low, then you will have trouble falling asleep. Taking melatonin at a certain time will cause your brain to recognize that melatonin should be produced at that time. Eventually, your brain will automatically produce the correct amount of melatonin at that time.

It does work if your issues are related to sleep patterns. It does not work if you are not sleeping due to anxiety.
  • WheezyFbb
    WheezyFbb Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I lived with insomnia since I was a little kid, and I only finally addressed it a few years ago. I highly recommend the professional and objective attention of a mental health counselor, not necessarily a medical doctor. A counselor will dig into the reasons behind why your sleep is disturbed, and what you can change in your daily routine to improve your "sleep hygene."

There are many of reasons why she could have chronic insomnia that have nothing to do with mental health. If the reason for her insomnia is related to sleep hygiene then she can find all the info she needs on the internet without paying a dime. If her insomnia is secondary to an underlying medical condition, she needs to see a doctor and get medical treatment.

Please stop advising someone with chronic insomnia to self-medicate with supplements or talk to a counselor. If sleep hygiene isn't an issue here, and she hasn't seen a doctor, then she should see one.
  • AllieBear88
    AllieBear88 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It's worked for me as far as getting asleep. I still wake up in the middle of the night, but it's easier to get back to sleep. 5mg is okay. See how it works for you. :) It works for me, but not for my dad, so you can't know until you try it, if you feel that's what you need.
  • sch1994
    sch1994 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It personally worked wonders for me, I am a huge insomniac going like 30hours without sleep, it was killing me!

I used to take 2mg and that worked fine!

My brother also used to take it, he has ADHD and wouldnt sleep so the doctor gave it to him... He was out like a light after! and He also only took 2-3mg a night....

I think it might be mostly if not all natural too so its better

I hope that helps!
  • Soufre
    Soufre Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I use melatonin very rarely. But when I do, it knocks me out. I wake up the next day feeling great!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    That is a natural vitamin supplement that DOES work.....
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    Great to know! I'm going to split the 5mg pill in half soon and take it. I'll update everyone tomorrow. :bigsmile:
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    My doctor recently put me on Metatonin 5mg and it's been working great. I had trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. Now I get to sleep quickly most nights and don't have alot of trouble failing back asleep if I do wake up. Sometimes I even sleep all the way through now. And the melatonin doesn't keep me from waking up on time and alert.

Since it's a fairly cheap OTC supplement, I would suggest just giving it a try.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    OP: Melatonin works for me if I take 9 mg. Melatonin is naturally produced by the body. Don't listen to Nutellabrah- you CANNOT get addicted to Melatonin.
  • Bridgeplayer69
    Options
    Melatonin definitely works. If you take it you won't argue while in your underwear.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

I use melatonin very rarely. But when I do, it knocks me out. I wake up the next day feeling great!

Great to know! I'm going to split the 5mg pill in half soon and take it. I'll update everyone tomorrow. :bigsmile:
    I make sure to take it around 8 or 9pm so I am sleepy by eleven or so...that way I don't feel groggy in the morning:happy:
  • fortally
    Options
    OP - I lived in Alaska for two years, which is where I learned about melatonin. It was widely used where I lived to help deal with insomnia, SAD (seasonal affective disorder), and to help keep regular sleep patterns in the winter. I've taken it on and off for many years with no adverse affects. Lots of folks say to take it an hour before bed (and that works for them!) but for me I have about a 20 minute window before my body seems to shake it off. If I take it and go directly to bed I can fall asleep pretty quickly, but if I wait any longer than 20 minutes or am doing something busy before bed it doesn't work at all.

I generally take 5 mg. I've taken higher dosages (with doctor approval), but get really wacky, unsettling dreams from high dosages (which I don't like). Even at 1 mg & 3 mg I still have really vivid dreams. Whatever dose, though, I've never woken up groggy the next day.

If it's your first time trying it make sure you don't have to go anywhere in the morning (work or school). Like all the commercials say - don't drive until you know how it will affect you. I have a few friends who ARE groggy from melatonin even on low dosages.

Hope that helps!
  • WheezyFbb
    WheezyFbb Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Melatonin has been shown to be fairly safe, and its low incidence of side effects is why many doctors are quick to recommend it. It's not very effective for insomnia compared to other options though.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    OP. I would suggest checking with a Dr as there might be a bigger issue at play.
  • rosanna421
    rosanna421 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have been taking it for months, and it works so well. I take 3mg. I have trouble falling asleep and when i take it, I fall asleep, and if i happen to wake up, i fall back to sleep right away.i have to make sure to get enough sleep otherwise I cant function at work. I never saw any side effects of taking it. Makes me feel well rested.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I've taken melatonin (as suggested by my doctor) probably a dozen times and it has worked every time. But I don't take it unless I have already had some insomnia so I'm not sure how reliable my stats are. I find reliably that if I have had lots of exercise I sleep eight hours and when I have had zero exercise I am likely to have insomnia.

But I also want to say that insomnia can exacerbate and be exacerbated by psychological disorders (depression, anxiety etc). I have a couple friends that can attest to that. One is now on an antidepression medication and the other is on a GAD medication.

Not sure how reliable this is but I've read that if you are experiencing sleepiness during the day, you are more likely to have a sleep disorder and should consider visiting a sleep clinic. If you are experiencing fatigue but not sleepiness, you should see your doctor.

Good luck!
  • geddyp
    geddyp Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It works for me, I usually take one on Sundays and maybe one other time per week. I get them from Costco, pretty inexpensive :)
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I use it occasionally. Sometimes it seems to work, other times it doesn't. Get some you can dissolve under your tongue if you can, it works better (apparently).

ETA: It is generally considered safe, but should not be used for extended periods of time.

I am currently using it (dissolvable) and it does SEEM to be helping. It's supposed to trigger your own body's natural sleep mechanisms (melatonin), from what I understand. I have read data suggesting amounts much smaller than they sell at the store can actually be MORE effective than larger amounts, but I take 3mg and it seems to do okay. I still don't sleep through the night, but I also have IC to complicate the issue, so there's that...