protein vs. fat. i can't get it right!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a problem to be over in fat?

Going over your macros increases calorie consumption. Per macro, fat packs in the most calories per gram. It's an issue.

Its only a problem if she's still hungry, causing her to eat more. Low carbs, high protien, high/med fats has been a proven way to lose weight.

OP said she's going over her fat macros and not hitting her protein macros. She sees this as an issue. Not eating according to your macros can affect your goals.
  • Jgal8123
    Jgal8123 Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    edamame beans are a great source of protein - 17g per cup

tuna - I buy the pouches of light tuna in water - 17g per serving

greek yogurt - fat free but watch out for added sugars
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I am sure this has been asked a million times.... BUT...I am really struggling with hitting my macros.

I have to get in 175 g of protein and to do that I KEEP going over my fat grams. What am I doing wrong? I have been eating eggs, cottage cheese, greek yogurt and nuts and of course meat but I can't figure out how to make it so I am not over my fat. ARGHHH....This is so frustrating!!

Protein and Fat are minimums; going over is okay...next caller...
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Go over. Dietary fat is good for you and delicious. Anything you can make leaner, go ahead (dairy products, meat) but don't sweat it.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options

its not
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    google lean protein sources.

However, I'd ask your trainer why your protein is so high? Unless you have a lot of LBM that is irregularly high for a woman.

And I'd personally add the difference to carbs.
  • AHASRADA
    AHASRADA Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem: I can usually meet my protein goals, but always have to add fat in! I follow a 40c/30f/30p split, so that might make a difference. I get my protein from:

whey protein powder
    vegan protein powder
    whole eggs
    chicken breast
    turkey bacon
    sliced smoked turkey breast
    fish
    beef
    soy hot dogs
    2% cottage cheese
    1% milk kefir (I make my own)
    soy milk

also, protein-rich carbs like beans, veggie burgers, quinoa - but, once I hit my carb goal, I finish my protein quota with the above

If I am low on both protein and fat, I add:
    almonds
    almond butter
    cheese

If I hit my protein but am low in fats, I add:
    more cheese
    avocado

I know I could just eat higher-fat dairy to hit my fat macros, but I'd rather save calories on low-fat cottage cheese and be able to eat a slice of cheddar too :)

Good luck!
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    OP, please, if you're paying a trainer to give you appropriate macros for your goals, do not listen to people on a forum who advise you to disregard your training. If you have questions about your macros, absolutely ask your trainer, (also when choosing a trainer, make sure they're certified and legit!)
  • laurie1199
    laurie1199 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a very similar macro breakdown and calorie goal as you do and here is what I do:

Breakfast - 1 egg, 3 egg whites and 14g shredded cheese.

Morning Snack - protein shake (I use GNC's Amplified Wheybolic)

Lunch - chicken with vegetables. Usually asparagus or maybe sweet potatoes

Afternoon snack - apple with sunflower butter. I am addicted to this snack. I use 8g sunflower butter (50calories)

Dinner - chicken, vegetables, maybe quinoa. I like grilled chicken, peppers, broccoli, asparagus, and green beans the best. I usually cook them pretty plain or maybe some cooking spray (trader joes makes great coconut oil spray) and sea salt.

I tend to be fairly good with protein, and sometimes my fat/carbs are slightly over or under but within about 5% of what they are "supposed" to be, so I'm happy.

Hope that helps!
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options

Going over your macros increases calorie consumption. Per macro, fat packs in the most calories per gram. It's an issue.

Its only a problem if she's still hungry, causing her to eat more. Low carbs, high protien, high/med fats has been a proven way to lose weight.

Again, Why? 58gr of fats should be looked at like a min, not a max. Going over it shouldn't be an issue, UNLESS, she’s going from very lean to shredded, or she's hungry at the end of the day (since fats have over 2x the calories per gram that carb/proteins.) Fats are vital to the body to break down and process the nutrients.

I think OP has to macros off, but I don’t know her stats.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,227 Member
    Options

Only if a person is going over their calories. If calories in check, going over in fat, as a single macro while meeting the protein, and going under on carbs will not hurt.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I have to get in 175 g of protein and to do that I KEEP going over my fat grams.

I'm a 6'1" male, and that's a touch over my protein intake. Why do you have it so high?
  • jpilley
    jpilley Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Here's an easy-to-understand and well written article on why eating FAT is good - http://www.eatnakednow.com/eatnaked/2013/05/08/the-fat-question-why-fat-doesnt-make-you-fat/

If you are wanting to process protein, in whatever quantity you set for yourself, you NEED the fat in order for your body to effectively complete this process.

Bone up on the biochemistry of how your body processes nutrients and what is necessary to each process BEFORE you decide to increase or decrease a particular substance (such as fat) in your diet.
  • benno1978
    benno1978 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    don't be scared of the fats as longs as it's good fats - nuts, olive olil, buter, oily fish, avocado...
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I usually go over in protein and under in fat..

I can't get it right either..

*sigh*
  • danielle_bk
    Options
    oh wow. I missed alot.

my trainer is legit and certified....promise. :) and really just wanted some other ideas for protein to get it in. BUT we do realize that my protein may be high for me.

to answer some questions - and some of you MAY do things different but this is how it is set up for me.....as i am starting to do more heavy lifting.

the reason for the high protein is to jump start my metabolism and build lean muscle mass which i am sure is pretty common. it honestly was just a starting point but i am thinking we will be changing it to something a little more manageable. :)

thanks for the help!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    oh wow. I missed alot.

my trainer is legit and certified....promise. :) and really just wanted some other ideas for protein to get it in. BUT we do realize that my protein may be high for me.

to answer some questions - and some of you MAY do things different but this is how it is set up for me.....as i am starting to do more heavy lifting.

the reason for the high protein is to jump start my metabolism and build lean muscle mass which i am sure is pretty common. it honestly was just a starting point but i am thinking we will be changing it to something a little more manageable. :)

thanks for the help!

There is no "jump starting" your metabolism.