I hate cardio!!

Options
2»

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Don't give up weights, just add cardio that you love. Can you Spin? Swim? Do Step aerobics? Bellydance? There are tons of fun workouts out there !!!
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, cardio and weights are not mutually exclusive! They provide different benefits that complement each other.

Second, what kind of cardio have you tried? Some of my faves:

hula hooping
    swimming
    Zumba
    Lindy hop
    bike riding
    Wii fit/ EA active for Wii
    walking on the beach
    kayaking
    jamming out to my favorite tunes
    kickboxing

^this

I hate gym cardio workouts, nothing more boring than running on a treadmill staring at the wall.
    I do zumba and walking in the countryside.
  • fredpdx
    fredpdx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My cardio maxim: 20 minutes of stair master is better than none at all.

'cause it's only 20 minutes and you're totally worth that time! listening to music also helps.
  • Smiler106
    Smiler106 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Do HIIT style cardio.

Short 20-30 minutes of cardio at a high/intense pace with minimal rest between sets.

Not only does this burn calories like a mother f-bomb it's done within a short time span.

Also lift weights. Change things up. Do heavy sets (3 to 5 sets within 70-80% of your max). Do light sets (8 to 12 sets, 10 to 15 reps).

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/proven-way-melt-fat-fast

^This is what I was gonna say. I also hate cardio and get bored of it quick, but HIIT is less time consuming, and because of the intervals the time flies, although it is very hard work! It's worth it though and you feel good after. I do 30 seconds on 30 off, but you can change it up to suit your fitness level.
  • over40gal
    Options
    Don't do any exercise you don't enjoy. Walking, stairs and some yoga is about all for me.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Here is what I have doing to increase wt/inches lost.

exercise 6 xweek

4 days (early morning) I am currently doing Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 DVD + 20-30 min treadmill varying incline/speed

1 day week just JM DVD

1 day week just treadmill for 45-60 min

1 day of complete rest

Log food almost every day might skip a weekend day if no computer available or I just don't want to.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You can achieve the same caloric deficit by diet alone if you don't like doing it. Just ask yourself what you would rather, do cardio, or eat less?
  • desimia1
    Options
    Cardio is the worst! However, It sure does the trick! It is a necessary Evil but think of how good you will feel when you are done! :happy:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    when you say "cardio," what do you mean? there is no need to run for hours unless you are training for a endurance race.

you should be doing some kind of conditioning, be it jumping rope, a kickboxing class, or barbell complexes.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Why no weights?
  • HSnyder1984
    HSnyder1984 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My gym offers Zumba Tone. You might be able to find it online. It's a regular Zumba class but you are using hand weights for all the moves. So much fun!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Exercise, whether it be cardio or strength training, are for fitness. Weight loss is dependent on eating at a calorie deficit. As others have said, it's probably not the exercises, but you eating more than you think or/and calculating your burns too high.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I'd look at your food, not cardio, you probably are eating a little more than you think, especially if you arent measuring, or recording more burn for weights than you actually do and eating calories back, etc...

This. No open diary. I'm going to assume you don't weigh/log everything, in which case is probably the reason you aren't progressing further.
  • fortunate1204
    fortunate1204 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I belong to a gym, but its small...no classes. I have been thinking about doing some classes, I think that might help with my motivation. I used to enjoy running outdoors but even now that doesn't excite me.
  • fortunate1204
    Options
    Really hate doing cardio but my weightloss progress has stalled for 5 weeks now. Guess I'm going to have to kick the cardio back up. I'll miss you weights...
    Anyone feel my pain?

What do you mean by "cardio"?

I'm talking about treadmill (or running period), elliptical, bikes - I really hate. lol
  • fortunate1204
    Options
    I'd look at your food, not cardio, you probably are eating a little more than you think, especially if you arent measuring, or recording more burn for weights than you actually do and eating calories back, etc...

This. No open diary. I'm going to assume you don't weigh/log everything, in which case is probably the reason you aren't progressing further.

I'm actually new to myfitnesspal so I'm not quite sure how to "open" my food log (I've only just began logging)....I'll play around with it though. I do try to watch my diet though and I've lost 15 pounds since October 2013. Just suddenly stalled in the last few weeks. I was using Noom to log but decided the macros thing was not exactly for me. Plus you don't get THIS interaction unless you upgrade to a paid program. Hopefully this app will help me though.