Any raw vegans/ 801010'ers?

Options
Im looking at getting more into veganism and ultimately 801010 style, or raw til' 4 program in the future. im vegetarian and vegan where possible, as im only 18 and this is difficult living with my family and my history with anorexia (my veganism is taken as some sort of disordered trick). im hoping to make more 801010 or vegan/ vegetarian friends so add me so we can chat!
also what are the top few tips you have for staying vegan/ carbing up? IM SUCH A NEWBIE

Replies

• gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Have you actually gotten help with your anorexia?

The danger with you moving into veganism and the 801010 lifestyle is that you are only sidestepping the problem. By cutting out a larger number of foods you are restricting your diet just as much albeit in a different way then before. There is nothing wrong with veganism or even 801010 if that floats your boat, at least no more wrong then all the other exclusion diets, but it feels like you might be choosing this way of life instead of dealing with your control, food and self-image issues.

Think very carefully why you are choosing this life style. Is it because it consists largely of 'safe' foods? Have you looked into what you need to eat in order to get all your nutrients?

just some food for thought :heart:
  • RawFoodVirgin
    Options
    I have also been thinking of going raw for a while now. I think for me, being obese is more of a "safe" option to do than someone who has battled with anorexia. Have you gotten any help? If you do raw food and you want to gain weight, you need to eat a LOT LOT LOT of foods to gain weight, simply because fruits and vegetables are not super high in calories and fats. So you would have to go for foods like avocado, nuts, seeds and bananas.

Do you want to exchange experiences?
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    80/10/10 is awesome, but remember to eat a lot of food! There is no need to "push yourself away from the table" when you are eating a whole foods, low fat vegan diet, especially if it is fully raw, because the food is not calorie dense at all.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    It appears that people with eating disorders like to adopt a vegan diet. Apparently about 50% that have ED's have admitted to being vegan at one time or another.
  • emilyyyrussell
    emilyyyrussell Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    wow really? thats actually quite interesting!
  • emilyyyrussell
    emilyyyrussell Posts: 11 Member
    Options

The danger with you moving into veganism and the 801010 lifestyle is that you are only sidestepping the problem. By cutting out a larger number of foods you are restricting your diet just as much albeit in a different way then before. There is nothing wrong with veganism or even 801010 if that floats your boat, at least no more wrong then all the other exclusion diets, but it feels like you might be choosing this way of life instead of dealing with your control, food and self-image issues.

Think very carefully why you are choosing this life style. Is it because it consists largely of 'safe' foods? Have you looked into what you need to eat in order to get all your nutrients?

i have recieived help and am now working on maintaining my weight, which i've managed to do for the past 3-4 months :) when you put it like that, saying i might be choosing it because of 'safe' foods, that really does make me question my motives. i thought i was sure that i was choosing this lifestyle for completely non- ED related reasons, but now you've made me question my motives once again. thank you, truly, for your thoughts, im going to put my head down and not go any further until im sure my past with anorexia isn't making some sly return. <3
  • PeaceLoveTrees
    PeaceLoveTrees Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've dabbled in raw before, and loved it. I'm about 85% vegan right now, I'm transitioning from being vegetarian. There are some really great videos on youtube on raw foods and grocery shopping, but you should see what these people have to eat in a week! holy crap it's a lot! just be prepared to buy and consume a LOT of food! maybe doing a vegetarian/vegan ratio first would help you transition and explore what you like.

any vegetarians, vegans, omnivores, feel free to add me! :-)
  • HeatherMarieBe
    HeatherMarieBe Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am currently on the Raw til 4 program and absolutely loving it! I would love some friends that could support me as well as I could support them. (I only add women, i know I'm weird)

Hope everyone is doing well, feel free to add me, please write a small message tho :] <3
  • blondehealthnut
    Options
    I'm trying to go raw till 4 now! :)
    Have you ever heard of Freelee the Banana Girl? She went through and eating disorder and found 801010 and it really helped her. Definitely watch her videos! She stressed how important it is to eat LOTS for the lifestyle to succeed.

I'm probably going to add lots of you to creep on your diaries FYI ;)
  • kroady
    kroady Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just started raw till 4 on New Year's. Loving the energy!
  • jennerationraw
    Options
    I am currently transitioning into raw and eventually would like to do 80/10/10 as well! Best of luck to you! If you ever need any encouragement or virtual high fives hit me up! :):tongue:
  • Hetailin
    Options
    I'm trying to go raw till 4 now! :)
    Have you ever heard of Freelee the Banana Girl? She went through and eating disorder and found 801010 and it really helped her. Definitely watch her videos! She stressed how important it is to eat LOTS for the lifestyle to succeed.

I'm probably going to add lots of you to creep on your diaries FYI ;)
    YES FREELEE <3 She is the whole reason I started to eat raw!! Everything she said in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usv2X08gL-w) made sense and since I saw that video I changed my eating habits asap. I'm eating raw as much as I can & I love it. I feel SO much better about myself- both body and mind. Pls add me everyone so I can have some encouragement to eat raw.
  • Hetailin
    Options
    I just started raw till 4 on New Year's. Loving the energy!

Same same! I started eating raw 4 days ago and I'm much more energetic, happy, and I already lost 3 lbs. But at this point Im not eating raw to lose weight- Im eating raw to be happy:)
  • Hetailin
    Options

i have recieived help and am now working on maintaining my weight, which i've managed to do for the past 3-4 months :) when you put it like that, saying i might be choosing it because of 'safe' foods, that really does make me question my motives. i thought i was sure that i was choosing this lifestyle for completely non- ED related reasons, but now you've made me question my motives once again. thank you, truly, for your thoughts, im going to put my head down and not go any further until im sure my past with anorexia isn't making some sly return. <3

Considering your history with anorexia I think you should approach this raw diet & 801010 with caution, but it is a very healthy option if you make sure to consume fats and proteins. I eat mostly raw fruits and veggies, but I also eat beans, nuts and at least one meat like tuna, eggs, or chicken everyday in order to give my body fats and proteins. If you need guidance, go onto mpf on a smartphone-- on their app they have a tool that takes your diary entries and puts it into a pie chart that shows you what percentage of your food intake should be carbs, fats, and proteins. My goal each day is to eat raw and meet all those percentages. I've had eating disorders since I was 12, but eating raw is teaching me to respect my body. But just because it's helping me doesn't mean it will necessarily help you so be careful & Good luck in your fitness journey. It's all about loving yourself and respecting your body. <3
  • Hetailin
    Options
    overly excited about eating raw & whole foods dont mind me :p
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options

Wow - I really and truly admire you, for NOT being defensive, and for being thoughtful about this instead. I know it is hard to hear that it could be entangled with your ED. I was a vegan for a while (vegetarian for 15 year, vegan for 5 of them), and I also am recovering from an ED. I think when i became a vegetarian, I did it because I thought it was healthier, but it morphed into being a way to cut out food groups. I used it to avoid being social, and it allowed me to have an excuse for eating only "safe" foods. I gave up the lifestyle, when I became willing to recover. Someone pointed out to me, that I was using my vegetarianism as a way to be alone with my ED behaviors. At first, I was appalled at the thought, but when I really got honest with myself, it turned out that I was very mentally unhealthy about my eating lifestyle. I am so grateful that I found the willingness to go back to eating a more balanced diet. Good luck. Do what is best for you and your mental and physical health!
  • kb2hxc
    kb2hxc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this site. Been vegetarian for 3 years, really trying to avoid animal products.
    Always struggle with getting enough protein and nutrients. Any advice greatly appreciated.
  • liveyourlifex
    liveyourlifex Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am currently transitioning into raw and eventually would like to do 80/10/10 as well! Best of luck to you! If you ever need any encouragement or virtual high fives hit me up! :):tongue:

i'm on the same boat! currently transitioning but mostly vegan :) I also had an eating disorder (anorexia) but overcame it by binge eating... but for the past few days, I've had no desire to binge because of all the fruits and veggies and rice I've been eating. i feel great and my stomach is getting smaller day by day
  • MariaMangoes
    MariaMangoes Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone :) im looking for some vegan friends as im the only one in my family/friends/work... Hah...! Could do with the support ???? im aimin for 80/10/10, im rangin around the 70/15/15 most days. Im nearly raw but everynow and again have a stirfry because its cold and miserable most days ???? im not too worried about being fully raw. Anyways, add me if you wanna... *hugs and smiles * ????
  • missdelarocha
    missdelarocha Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty interested in this! I'd love more vegan friends too, don't know anybody who is a vegan IRL. I also learnt about raw till 4 etc from Freelee haha, I'm an Aussie so naturally proud :).