What would you tell your old self?

For those who have lost weight, if you could go back to the beginning with what you know now, what would you tell yourself? (If that makes sense).

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Basically I would tip off my long-ago self about MFP ... Although that really wouldn't work because I don't think it's been around for years and years ;-)

Seriously though. Counting calories has worked for me amazingly well and I feel like I could have been under 200 lb my whole adult life instead of pushing 300 most of the time.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    That I am and will always be beautiful and the scale doesn't change that. Would've saved me some self loathing and more focusing on the real goals: improving myself in lifting and self control.
  • ajsdream
    ajsdream Posts: 223 Member
    To stop wasting money on diet book after diet book after diet book. If I could have all of that money back.... :happy:
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    First, I would go back and thank myself for getting my crap together early in life.

Second, I would say to start strength-training sooner.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    I would say this is so much easier than I first thought and I will have wished I hadn't quit after a week in 2010. And to read the foums, there's a lot of good info on there!
  • safetyqueen25
    safetyqueen25 Posts: 38 Member
    If could go back to three and a half years ago when I first starting being healthy I would impart all my knowledge about nutrition etc, I could have been done in half the time I bet! If only I could go back 10 years to 17 year old me and get the ball rolling there, But no point in thinking like that, just gotta concentrate on making a great future.
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    I would tell myself that you can't eat like you did in high school. I would have started eating better and moving more.. if I had done it ten years ago instead of 2 things would be so much better.
  • WheezyFbb
    WheezyFbb Posts: 41 Member
    Winning lottery number
  • rgb93
    rgb93 Posts: 17 Member
    Start losing weight earlier. Also, join a sport/start lifting.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    LIFT HEAVY!
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Weight come off easy. Just quit smoking.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    I would be gains are made in the gym. I would get my cardio walking there.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    That we should have done this a long time ago.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    1) Don't stop being your active self.
    2) Don't eat like you're a 7 foot tall football player.
    3) Go to a dentist and have your sweet tooth removed. :bigsmile:
    $) When you gain a couple of pounds, change your eating pattern and get them off right away.
  • firelight4321
    firelight4321 Posts: 60 Member
    Don't start drinking soda. Stay a pescatarian. If you're going to eat fast food, get a healthier option like Pollo Tropical or Subway or Panera. How did you eat all of that junk?!!?!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    GET OFF YOUR *kitten* AND GET MOVING! LIKE RIGHT NOW! Yes, I did mean to yell. LOL!
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Find something that you LOVE! :heart:
  • LRoslin
    LRoslin Posts: 128
    Don't become vegan. You'll end up, after 10 years, with a serious carnitine deficiency that will endanger your baby's life from the minute he's born.

Learn about portions. A bowl of pasta is not a serving. Neither is a bowl of rice.

Just because it's fat free doesn't mean it's calorie free.

Bulimia is not a weight loss plan.
  • "You'll never get the butt you want by sitting on the butt you have."

and

"Suck it up now so you don't have to suck it in later."

(saw those in another thread, apologies to original posters - I've forgotten who you are!)

(edited for typo :smile: )
  • -Get some friends your own height. Maybe then you'll see that you're not fat...or "big boned"!
    -Starving yourself and diet pills are not a good plan for weight loss.
    -Don't let yourself get too hungry. It causes most binges.
    -No! You didn't gain 5 pounds in 2 days! Your weight fluctuates due to water retention Ect.
    -Dont give up just because you fell off the wagon.