Sprints and Long Distance Running

Options
Hey guys,

I'm running a 10km in April. I signed up in January because I needed to give myself a kick in the butt, and while I don't like long distance running, I do like a challenge.

I've also start up a sprint training program, which I really enjoy! I like that it's over quickly, I get to give my all out effort, and I can stretch during my active rest periods.

My question is: Does anyone have experience/advice in balancing these two out? Currently I am alternating a strength and running. However jogging only occurs once a week, the rest is sprinting.

Replies

• watermelonsugar_
    Options
    bump
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Can sprinting and distance mix for an effective training program? Yes.
    Is what you're doing feasible preparation for a 10k? Maybe ... you haven't provided enough information.

Sprinting is a good speedwork portion of a running program. It is part of intermediate and advanced training plans for distance plans. Without knowing your current distances and running history, there is no way of giving intelligent feedback.
  • watermelonsugar_
    Options
    Sorry, it's pretty minimal thus far. I can run a 5km in about 40 minutes, but have not attempted anything close to 10km with is at the end of April. I only just started sprinting but I don't have an accurate way to measure the distance but I was able to make it just over 1/4 of the track and improved with each sprint.

My first go at sprinting was 4 sets of 40 second sprinting with 4 minutes of active rest. The rest time gradually decreased over 18 weeks, and the sprints increase. By the end I should be doing 7 sets of 60 second sprinting with 2 minutes of active rest.

As my knowledge is pretty limited, I just want to know this won't work against me when it comes time to runt he 10km in April. I'm currently only jogging once a week, but about a month away from the race date I'll tackle it a bit more seriously.

Even pointing me to some useful resources if my information isn't sufficient. I'd like to learn how it can be effective, or signs that what I am doing may not be effective.
  • lmurph93
    lmurph93 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Congrats on signing up for a race! I'm not an expert by any means, but I am someone who started out not a runner and now runs 10K at least once a week. I think you should start jogging more than once a week, do you think every other day is reasonable?

When I started off running I worked my way up to a 5 K first and went from there, just like you! Had I known more about interval training I would have pursued it that way for sure. What I do now for long distance running is take longer intervals, so 2 minutes at 80% (of max) and then 3 minutes at 50% ish, I gauge it depending on how I'm feeling that day.

So I guess long story short, I don't really understand what "active rest" is, and I think the best way to train for a 10K would be starting out alternating walking/jogging for 5K, working up to jogging/running for 5K, and then pushing your way up to 10K, even if you add 0.5-1km each week.

I've also heard the "Couch to 5K" is a good start for running! (It'll come up if you google it)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Download a 10k plan ... build your running base accordingly. Waiting for until a month out is asking for the 10k to suck because you won't prepare your body for what you want it to do. If you're sprinting one straight away on a standard track ... that's 100 meters. One complete lap is 400 meters (lane dependent).

The sprint plan has you building to around 25 minutes of running (7 sets of 3 mins each including hard running and active rest) ... the 10k is 80 minutes (or more) at your current pace. Beginner 10k plans usually feature running three times a week with a build up on the long runs from three to six miles over an 8-12 week span. Speedwork is more of an intermediate and advanced plan feature incorporated not to run a 10k, but to run a 10k faster.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Will it work against you? Maybe. Will it help you? not really.

At your point, you should be adding distance. As someone else said, speed work is part of any good running program, but it usually comes after aerobic conditioning. You need to build a proper aerobic base. Without that, you will only see minimal gains from interval training.

It could work against you if you are doing 'too much, too fast, too soon'. Basically, its a recipe for injury. This is not saying you will get injured, just that you increase your risk as a new runner.

A beginner run plan would have you running 3x per week, increasing distance slowly at an easy pace. The rule of thumb is 10% mileage increase per week (though this is debated. Some prefer a larger increase, some a slower one) After a few months of doing that comfortably, you could start thinking about speed work.

Another note is to go get properly fitted for running shoes. They are more expensive than getting generic shoes, but less expensive than physical therapy.
  • watermelonsugar_
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys, it makes sense. I will definitely rework my plan to include more long distance running. I've currently got my plan worked out at 6 days a week alternating weights and running so there is room to work it in. Maybe I will keep sprints to once a week, I just find them to be a fun way to get through a workout.

I should also add I am meeting with a trainer on Saturday for some feedback on what I am currently doing as well.
  • watermelonsugar_
    Options
    Another note is to go get properly fitted for running shoes. They are more expensive than getting generic shoes, but less expensive than physical therapy.

I'm getting my bonus from work this month, and this is on the agenda for sure.
  • juniperfox
    juniperfox Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My cross country workouts included 3-4mi per day and then a long run Saturday, rest Sunday. Maybe do speedwork once or twice a week in place of the normal run and then do 1mi cooldown jog. I was running 20-25 miles per week with this plan and the Saturday runs were basically a 10k for me. Just an idea.

Good on you for doing a 10k :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The sprinting is really not doing much to help a 10K. once a week if you really like doing it, every other week would be my suggestion. Focus on easy building up of miles.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    former competitive sprinter here.

sprinting wont really help with your 10K but speed work like tempo runs definitely will
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I have my 1st 10k race in just under two weeks. I do sprint work, hills, and threshold runs as well as slower longer runs. One of the organisers at my local Park Run is an ex-international runner and he recommends that a variety of training is important but you do need to get miles in your legs for endurance. Also psychologically I know I can do the distance (I regularly run 6-8 miles on a Sunday now) so have no concerns about finishing, its just about how long it takes.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Sorry, it's pretty minimal thus far. I can run a 5km in about 40 minutes, but have not attempted anything close to 10km with is at the end of April. I only just started sprinting but I don't have an accurate way to measure the distance but I was able to make it just over 1/4 of the track and improved with each sprint.

You sound like a running noob and this is common with y'all (and that's ok!). If you are running 5k in 40 minutes and haven't attempted 10k distance, why, oh why, are you bothering with sprints? You'll get more bang for your buck by gradually building up your easy, conversational base mileage than you will sprinting and developing an overuse injury. Speedwork doesn't give you lasting speed/endurance. Only mileage will.

Slow down, slow down, slow down.
  • AusEliza
    AusEliza Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Same here. I signed up to a12k fun run. So excited :) basically I'm going for three 4k runs a week and slowely up the km as it gets closer to the date.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    If you have never done a 10k or are relatively new, I would just focus on increasing distance during training....
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I love endurance running, and I've gotten pretty good at it: I can run a 10K in less time than it takes you to run 5K. I did it by doing a lot of long, steady runs.

I don't really understand why people who don't want to do endurance running sign up for an endurance run. If you like sprinting, I would suggest signing up for a track meet. Time yourself over a certain distance, say, 200 meters, then work to improve your speed. Then see how fast you can get! Sounds like fun.

Doing sprint training for a 10K is like swimming to train for a bike race. It would probably help a little bit, but not as much as actually getting out there on your bike.

Similarly, the only effective way to train for a long run is to do a lot of runs at a steady pace. Sprints are, at best, a very small supplement to an endurance program.
  • watermelonsugar_
    Options
    You sound like a running noob

Sure am! I actually signed up for this 10km in January in half solidarity with a friend, and half because I needed a kick in the butt to get myself working out again. It's helped me before, and it's proven to help me again! The sprinting program was a way to incorporate some high intensity cardio because I am also trying to lose some weight so I can look good in my bridesmaid dress for a wedding that is also in April, and from what I hear sprinting is a great way to make that happen. However, I could also grab my jump rope or try some tabata training if the sprinting with hinder me.
    I don't really understand why people who don't want to do endurance running sign up for an endurance run.

I've done this before. I don't like running, but I like the challenge. I needed to kick start myself with a fitness goal, and a friend presented me with this run so I went for it. It's served it's purpose and I'm definitely very motived. I'm glad I posted here though, you guys are giving me great information and I will be adjusting my workout schedule to accomodate more endurance training.

Thanks everyone for all the input! You're all awesome.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a good resource on running, I recently read Daniel's Running Formula, and got a lot out of it. He goes into a lot of detail about what physiological benefits you get out of different training intensities. He also has lots of training plans, from beginner up through advanced and plans for all kinds of different distances.

It seems counter-intuitive, but the fastest way to get faster is by running more slowly. Your body fuels your running from a variety of different sources, using different methods. Most of your energy is going to be coming from glycogen stored in your muscles. The faster you run, the more anaerobic that process will be. Running slowly (around 70% of max heart rate or the fastest you can go while breathing comfortably and talking) uses more of an aerobic process. Therefore, you're working your aerobic system (and thereby improving your aerobic fitness) at a higher rate while running more slowly.

Sprinting can be a great way to burn some calories, but not compared to being able to run farther comfortably. When you take the rest breaks into account, you might even be able to burn more calories in the same amount of time by running slow and steady.