Can Sleeping to much effect weight loss?

Options
Female
20yrs
180 pounds
5'8
Daily Calorie intake 1300

Hey guys, I'm self employed and work out of my home as an illustrator, which means I create my own scheduled as well as am on the computer working most of the day. The only activity I get, other then my days off, is getting up to cook and tidy aswell as 30 minutes a day of jogging on the treadmill.

I normally go to bed around 1-2am and sleep untill 11am. I do not take any additional naps during the day. I sleep more then 8 hours most nights and I know that lack of sleep can effect weight loss, but can me sleeping a regular 10 hours effect my weight loss as well? I am not a morning person and I do not enjoy getting up really early.

I'm open to suggestions about sleep patterns as well as how to stay fit when you work a desk job.

Replies

• rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    only if it means you are not eating as much because you are sleeping. In that case, it will help with weight loss.
  • AutumnPhade
    Options
    I don't really feel hungry or the need to go over 1300 calories a day and I think it has to do with me sleeping in so late.

However, your body burns calories on a daily basis for simply being alive, I'm not sure if me sleeping an extra 3 hours a night will cause my body to burn less calories on its own.
  • Cinnamonsheep
    Options
    I read a study that showed people who slept 8 hours or more were less prone to obesity and however people who slept 6 hours or less were supposed to live longer (idk why though). All in all I don't think sleeping has much to do with it as long as you're active when you're awake at some point and not over eating. If you sleep less there is a higher chance you'll be snacking late night or eating more through out the day.
    I have almost identical sleeping habits though because I mostly work nights. It's rough because I get pretty hungry 9pm and onward.
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if it can affect weight loss but I can say that I sleep way too much. On my days off I wake up, eat, go back to sleep, wake up, eat, go back to sleep... It's getting in the way of my weight loss efforts because I just can't seem to get out of bed to go to the gym. I'm actually going to the doc this week to see if anything is wrong. I just want to stop sleeping my life away!!!! LOL.
  • treats4goodboyz
    Options
    All I know for sure about sleep and weight loss is that sleep deprivation (read: having an infant) is bad for keeping a healthy weight. It makes you want to eat carbs and drink coffee all day long. Next time around I'd like to find a way to cope better with the lack of sleep.
  • wendyriggs1
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked? If it's off balance it could be making you feel tired all the time.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I normally go to bed around 1-2am and sleep untill 11am. I do not take any additional naps during the day. I sleep more then 8 hours most nights and I know that lack of sleep can effect weight loss, but can me sleeping a regular 10 hours effect my weight loss as well? I am not a morning person and I do not enjoy getting up really early.

I think that your sleep pattern - 9 or 10 hours in a row of largely uniterrupted sleep, virtually all the time - is freaking awesome and do not believe it is at all unhealthy. I'd even add a short (less than 1 hour) mid-day nap to that if I could. I think we are collectively sleep-deprived (but - personal bias).

I sometimes think that the greatest luxury in the world is to never have to set an alarm clock - to always sleep as long as your body wants to. And, when I am able to do so, my body, after a few days adjustment, will default to 8 - 11 hours a day. Sleep is wonderful.

ETA: In case it wasn't clear - I don't think you should consider this a diet issue if it is not causing other issues in your life. Enjoy your freedom!