Question for those who use Polar HRMs

Options
I have the Polar FT4 and it's the older style strap.. the one with the two grey cloth strips that detect the HR.. the newer ones look like they are all vinyl.

Anyway.. so. My band gets REALLY smelly from sweat and I'm not sure how I can clean it without damaging it. I used to use mild soap and water but it's not getting the smell out like it used to.. I soaked it in baking soda/water the other and it it smelled better but after every workout it's still strong.

I was going to wash it in the washing machine but was worried I'd ruin it. Any suggestions?

Replies

• benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I would like to know the answer too!
  • rockann16
    rockann16 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I have an FT4 with the gray sensors and I have always just washed it every day after use with hot water and my antibacterial hand soap that is in my bathroom. I have had it for going on 2 years and have never had any problems and it doesn't smell (I just smelled it to make sure! LOL!). I have soaked it a couple times with some laundry soap in my sink but even though I think it said you could put it in the washing machine I never have. Hope this helps. :)
  • mrsroseblack
    mrsroseblack Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks! :) I don't have my instructions or anything (they are in storage for a while longer). I will admit I didn't wash it most of the time.. time for daily washings! lol
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I have the newer style strap so not sure if my comments are helpful but I will offer them anyway! The instruction booklet recommended a cold or low-warm machine wash every five uses, with hand washing in between. If you're worried about using a washing machine just take it out before the spin cycle or set to 'delicate wash'. Failing that you could write to the company and ask their advice. Alternatively, it might be time to get a new strap. Not sure how long they are meant to last!