Rapid Weigh Loss, Should I Smile or be Worried?

Options
According to MFP I should be losing roughly 2lbs per week but I'm losing roughly .5 lbs a day or more. Last week I lost around 5 lbs in 7 days. I check Mondays and Wednesdays at the same time every week (Wednesdays because my Mondays and Tuesdays are rough in me and I don't exercise). Is this possibly a bad sign? Am I starving myself? I don't feel hungry, I eat 5-6 times a day.

Replies

• 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    You haven't said how many calories your eating?

How much you weigh?

Why don't you just weigh once a week.

I think when people first start there diets, the first couple of weeks/week is water weight coming off, then it regulates
  • SusanaLdn
    SusanaLdn Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary - not only you have the intake caloric goal of a 12 year old girl, most days you eat about 60% of it. Sort this out, seriously :noway:
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    You're losing weight that fast because you're not eating what MFP says to. If you cut that extensively you'll lose faster, but you could damage your metabolism in the process. You're supposed to eat back your exercise calories on days you exercise.

If you're always full, add some nuts or nut butters. Doesn't take a lot to add some cals, and they're great for you.

ETA: You must not have a lot to lose or you're miscalculating your activity level because we get the same # of cals and I'm a 34 year old woman looking to lose 100+. A 22 year old guy shouldn't be eating that little it seems like, unless you're a lot smaller. :smile:
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    What are your details? - height, weight, activity level, etc.

How did you calculate your calorie goal?

1560kcal is very low for a 22 year old male. I'm eating 1540kcal a day, and I'm female and only 5"3'! You need to calculate your BMR and make sure you never eat less than this - this is the minimum calories your body needs for normal function and is highly advised NOT to eat below this. Also calculate your TDEE (loads of online calculators), which is basically BMR + lifestyle, and reduce this by 20-25% for weight loss. Eating 1560kcals without 0 exercise will no doubt result in weight loss anyway (depending on your measurements).
  • wintersknight
    Options
    At 5'10" and 174lbs, if you are still losing weight at that rate then you need to fix your diet.
  • licorice_tea
    licorice_tea Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You need to eat back your exercise calories. If you know you are working out in the evening, it looks like your workouts are at least 400 calories, so plan to eat those in advance.
  • emmietoby
    emmietoby Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    oh come on 5 pounds a day??? tell me your secert ....!!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    oh come on 5 pounds a day??? tell me your secert ....!!!

zero POINT five a day....

OP, eat more food... according to your ticker you are at your goal, so stop eating in a deficit!
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    5"10 male, I basically work 7 days a week, exercise 5 times a week now (didn't before), my job has me both on my feet lugging around heavy equipment or I spend hours at a computer desk, just depends on what part of the day I'm in. I just used the MFP to tell me what to eat and up until now it's been accurate.

Just done a really quick calculation (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) and you are eating nowhere near enough calories. Your BMR is about 1900kcal (based on moderate activity) so you should not be eating less than this. Your TDEE is just under 3000kcals so to lose 2lb a week you should be looking at eating around 2000kcals a day (500kcal deficit per day = 1lb fat loss per week - 1000kcal deficit = 2lb loss per week). On any given day you should do upmost to eat 2000kcal (ish), and try not to go below your BMR 1900kcal. This method is for sustainable weight loss. Every 6-8weeks you should re-calculate your TDEE as your weight changes.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    You're losing weight that fast because you're not eating what MFP says to. If you cut that extensively you'll lose faster, but you could damage your metabolism in the process. You're supposed to eat back your exercise calories on days you exercise.

If you're always full, add some nuts or nut butters. Doesn't take a lot to add some cals, and they're great for you.

ETA: You must not have a lot to lose or you're miscalculating your activity level because we get the same # of cals and I'm a 34 year old woman looking to lose 100+. A 22 year old guy shouldn't be eating that little it seems like, unless you're a lot smaller. :smile:

I don't eat the calories I burn, I exercise right before I sleep. It might be the activity level but prior to dieting I was sitting on my butt all day playing video games or working (with the exception of a day a week where I sometimes was on my feet carrying large equipment)

why not just eat more before you workout? problem solved.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I don't want to put too fine of a point on this but, you asked for advice, your are getting good advice, however it seems you are arguing and trying to justify your method. You are eating too few calories based on the info provided. Yes, it can cause health concerns. In the end you will do whatever you want to do. Good luck to you.
  • bsenka
    bsenka Posts: 33
    Options
    A half pound a day is not that outrageous. That's only 3.5 lbs a week. My usual average is a little higher than that. The operative word is average though. The first 50 lbs I lost took about 12 weeks. Some weeks it was more than 4 lbs, some weeks it was none at all. Wooshes are real. Don't listen to the people who try to tell you it's water weight, find out for yourself. Track your body fat percentage, as well as tape measurements. As long as THOSE numbers are improving, you're golden. If the BF% is not dropping (or worse, increasing) only then should you worry that you're not getting enough food.