3 days at Gym, and I'm not sure this is for me.

Options
I had a bad day yesterday and it really got me to thinking, CAN I do this alone next week? The only reason I am able to do it now is bc the trainer is standing there with me telling me how many of what to do and how to do them right. being left alone I am going to be so lost. Does anyone get in shape successfully at home with equipment? If so what do you have? I am tempted to just buy a treadmill, i already have a stationary bike at home. I was also very upset that I had gotten home later and missed so much time with my kids. I work full time so my time is very limited. Just overall bad bad day yesterday :-(

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I do DVDs at home and have had GREAT success. I've never stepped foot in a gym before. This works for me because I'm a single mother of 2 5 year old twin boys who have severe disabilities and I also work full time and am enrolled in University. I work out at 6am while my kids are still asleep. I will never go to the gym because I can do enough at home and I do what I love. Right now I'm doing Les Mills Combat and I can't get enough of it.
  • bluetuesday5
    bluetuesday5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    A set of adjustable dumbbells and some cardio equipment is all you need. You could try running outside or a jump rope, much cheaper than buying a treadmill.

Edit: I see you have a stationary bike, that is just as good. Also you can get away with just calisthenics (bodyweight) for resistance training if it's not hugely important to you. Push ups, chin ups, lunges and crunches is all you need.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Can you write down what your trainer has been telling you to do and keep doing those things with some kind of progression? I'm not sure what you've been working on but this might be a place to start. Missing time with your kids does suck but a healthy and happy mom is also good for them. It might take a while to get in to the groove but it seems a bit early to be giving up on it.

There are also tons of resources out there that can provide plans. You haven't mentioned specifically what you are trying to accomplish but if it's some kind of weight training, there are certainly a slew of options.
  • MrsSausage58
    MrsSausage58 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I do a combination of both now that my kids are older but when I was a single parent to young twins all I did was DVD's. There are so many different types on the market now that there's really no "need" for you to go to the gym if you don't enjoy it. x
  • liannexxx
    liannexxx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Everyone has bad days!! Of course you can do it alone =-) If you can work full time and raise kids you know how tough things can be. Take it one step at a time.....over time you will start to enjoy it and it also will give you the chance to have some YOU time. Have you thought about swimming if you are hating the gym?
  • khamill51
    khamill51 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I live 45 minutes from work, and on a ranch, so me going to the gym does not work. I bicycle at night or walk/run up and down our very long driveway for a set amount of time. So yes, with discipline and a plan, you can do it at home. Perhaps you can get a printout or save a copy of what you are doing at the gym and replicate that at home. If the plan you are doing now does not fit into your life, then I think try something that does that you can feel is the best use of your time. Just my opinion, but the trek to the gym did not fit my schedule at all. Best wishes for your success!
  • wpwarrior88
    wpwarrior88 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Good morning, Sorry to hear you had a bad day yesterday. I only workout at home and yes you can get into shape on your own. However, if you felt lost knowing your PT wouldn't be there talking you through each exercise, can you discipline and motivate yourself to workout at home?

I have built my gym up over many years. I have two benches, free weights and assortment of bars, a power tower, Roman Chair, yoga equipment, a ball, an elliptical trainer and a treadmill. Plus I have DVDs and am currently on T25 Gamma hybrid. It has taken me many years to get to where I can motivate myself to keep coming out here and doing what I want/need to do.

You are welcome to add me as a friend, or message me with questions re: working out, routines, etc.

Have a delightful, stressless day today!
  • Jodycnd
    Jodycnd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I agree, there are plenty of dvd's that you could follow. Instead of buying a treadmill, maybe get a rowing machine, that is more of a full body workout than the treadmill. I also am a full time mom and the gym just never worked for me. I get up at 5am to get my workouts in because after work there is too much school work and random stuff to do that exercise always gets put on the backburner. I'm currently doing Stronglifts and Couch to 5k. I've done the Power 90, Power 90 Master Series, P90X (Briefly) and 30 Day Shred from Jillian Michaels. All good workouts with minimal equipment needed.
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I recently started with workout videos. My son dances and goofs off next to me so I don't feel like I'm missing out on being with them. I have access to YouTube on my TV and I've found many workout videos there.

Once I see that I'm being consistent working out with what I have I might consider investing money on other things.

You could look up workout routines to do at the gym. Maybe some of the athletic girls here will have better advice. :smile:
  • silverdawnhawk
    silverdawnhawk Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It really depends on you (that sounds snarkier than intended... Sorry). You have a bike... Do you use it?

I have no problem working out at home (and I hate gyms... I'd rather do run outside or just do a quick workout without other people's energy in my space), but I don't have kids, the cats have learned that workout time is not cuddle time (and the boyfriend has learned the same thing). So I can workout without getting distracted.

Some people find that they are less motivated at home because they always find a reason not to workout. They start doing something on the computer. They get involved making super. They need to do something unexpected with the kids. Their best friend calls them up to go do something. They will run out to do a"quick errand" and end up killing a few hours. For them going to the gym is a reason to focus.

It's all up to the individual

If it's just a question of not knowing what to do make a list with the trainer and check things off as you finish maybe?
  • wpwarrior88
    wpwarrior88 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    A set of adjustable dumbbells and some cardio equipment is all you need. You could try running outside or a jump rope, much cheaper than buying a treadmill.

Edit: I see you have a stationary bike, that is just as good. Also you can get away with just calisthenics (bodyweight) for resistance training if it's not hugely important to you. Push ups, chin ups, lunges and crunches is all you need.

Exactly!
  • maxo731
    maxo731 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think some people are able to get in shape at home with bodyweight exercises and some dumbbells. There are videos for weightlifting at home, I like Chalean Extreme but I've seen people who've had great results with Jillian Michaels. That being said the gym can be intimidating at first but that does go away. If motivation is an issue or making time to workout, then I would recommend continuing to go to the gym. I would suggest taking a small notebook and writing down what your trainer tells you to do. What exercises, sets, reps, etc. Then you can follow this when you go yourself. There are also great form videos on bodybuilding.com if you want to check your form on something. I've found that once you overcome that intimidation and the overwhelming feeling that the gym becomes a place where you can "get away from it all" and focus on yourself. Whatever you decide your most comfortable with, just keep working out and moving forward.
  • hpaige28
    hpaige28 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used to go to the Gym a long time ago, but found I was paying and never going. Now that things are working for me food wise I am doing more around where I live. I also have a treadmill at home. I am also using DVDs or Dancing to music. If I really want to go out and exercise then I will go to a Zumba class but I really do not want to be at gym rt now. I am not mentally ready for it. That being said I have been seeing a trainer for the past 3 years 2x a week for a circut of stregnth trainging. It is not at a gym and at least I know I am getting in strength trainging for 30 min 2x a week. Plus I usually get there at least 10-15 min before my appt starts so I walk on the treadmill or ride the bike for extra cardio.
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just have to do things that are just for you. I understand what you are saying, but once you get the hang of it you won't want to go without. It's okay to take 45-60 minutes a day for yourself. It really is.

I think you should just keep at it. You and the kids will get used to the new schedule. If you adapt, they will adapt.
  • motivatethismom
    motivatethismom Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The first day i was just shown the machines for legs, I tried out each of them and repeated them a couple times with him standing there counting as i did them. the next day i only walked on treadmill. Yesterday he showed me all the upper body machines and how to use them and watched me as i did them. (which i could barely do bc my upper body is so weak) i really don't even remember half of how to use them it just seems like a blur bc it was done so quickly. how do i adjust them right to fit me, how many of each should i do? in what type of order? its just all confusing. :-(
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    You need to have a plan, whether it's working out at a gym or working out at home. If I walked into the gym without knowing what I was doing that day (which I have done plenty of times before I got it together) I would feel the same way you do.

Have a plan. Know your workout before you go and stick with it.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    The only reason I am able to do it now is bc the trainer is standing there with me telling me how many of what to do and how to do them right. being left alone I am going to be so lost.

Then you probably going to fail at this. Time to rethink what your life goals are.

ps your trainer sucks. Ask him/her how to use the squat rack and perform the major lifts. I wouldn't pay good money to have someone watch me use a machine and or treadmill.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    As many people said you need to find a program.

You should also find someone a friend, or someone new, to help you walk through things. Trainer fail.

If it's still too much. Just run on the treadmill.

If you really want to learn, pick up a book like Starting Strength.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Can you write down what your trainer has been telling you to do and keep doing those things with some kind of progression? I'm not sure what you've been working on but this might be a place to start. Missing time with your kids does suck but a healthy and happy mom is also good for them. It might take a while to get in to the groove but it seems a bit early to be giving up on it.

There are also tons of resources out there that can provide plans. You haven't mentioned specifically what you are trying to accomplish but if it's some kind of weight training, there are certainly a slew of options.

This^

When I first joined a gym I used to carry my wee card, the trainer wrote out, about with me and later a bit of paper with whatever programme I was doing written down.

I definitely agree with the happy mum comment - my girls are teenagers now but have mentioned how much more 'fun' I am now.

ETA: they've even suggested before I have a go at a sales assistant/bank teller etc, I should do a few squats first =D
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I would recommend P90X for you. It has dvds that make you do what is needed, and the workout is strength and cardio so pretty robust.