Shoes

Options
Ok, trying to find a new pair of shoes to workout in, what is the difference between running shoes and walking shoes?! I'm not a full out runner but I try to jog a little bit when walking. Does it really matter which ones I pick? Thanks!!

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    The difference is about $150. Running shoes get expensive in a hurry, they take a lot more abuse. A person can walk comfortably in any old shoe. What kind of exercise are you looking to do?

Rigger
  • hmoser370
    Options
    Right now just the treadmill, once the weather breaks around here and warms up a little bit will be walking ( a little jogging but just easing into it due to a back injury) around a lake in my area, roughly 5 miles with hopes of doing it daily.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Running shoes come in a variety of styles designed to do different things. Basically, they are all various ways of protecting your body from injury and the kind you get is based on how you run, how much you run, and your personal philosophy on running (minimal vs support, racing vs recreational, correct overpronation, etc). Walking shoes tend to be more of a universal design combining general cushion and support.

How much running/jogging do you plan to do as your optimum goal? Do you plan to be a walker who jogs for a couple of minutes once or twice during her walk long-term, or do you hope to eventually do more jogging than walking? If you're trying to ease back into jogging after a back injury and hope to do more jogging than walking, I would say invest in the running shoes, but that's just my personal opinion as a quasi runner with knee issues.

ETA: Obviously, if your plan is to stick with mostly walking, then a good pair of walking shoes should be fine.

I started out saying "I'm never going to run really long distances or anything, so I don't need special running shoes". After shin splints, IT band trouble, and pain in my GOOD knee, I finally broke down and was fitted at a running store. They talked with me about how much running I did, how much running I saw myself doing as I progressed, and helped me find shoes in my specified budget (which was under $100). If you decide to do this, now is a really good time because many of last year's "models" are on sale. I just scored a pair of New Balance Minimus for $50 that are regularly $109.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    If you're primarily going to be walking I wouldn't spend the coin on running shoes, for trails I would get something with good support though. As for the treadmill, any old pair of comfortable athletic shoes will do. Now, if you think you might want to start running, and don't mind the price tag a good pair of trail shoes would still be awesome. Brooks makes some nice trail shoes, and My personal shoes are Hokas. They're a trail shoe but work well in any terrain I have ran on, and it feels like running through the clouds with pillows strapped to your feet, since they are a trail shoe the support is also excellent.

It really all depends on what your plans are for the future though, I it's just going to be walking on the trail around the lake, a simple pair of lightweight hiking shoes would be my choice, Hi-Tech on the lower end, or some Danner's on the high end.

Rigger