Still not losing weight

Options
2»

Replies

• 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Even if i was i still would be at a deficit.

Exercise machines (and MFP) often vastly over-estimate the calories you're burning. If you're really only burning 200 kcal but eating 300+ because the machine says you burned 600-700 kcal, that could certainly be a contributing factor and often is for people who are just getting into exercise.

^^THIS^^ and open your diary...:huh:
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    If you really want inputs you need to open your diary.

At 5'9 and 22, I would wonder if 1500 is enough. This is some general advice.

1. Get a food scale. Weigh all solids and measure all liquids. Measuring cups and spoons are not correct for solids. Think about 1 cup of rice and how much rice that may actually be, I can pack a lot of rice into 1 cup. Another good example is brown sugar, 1 teaspoon does not always equal 4 grams, if you really pack that teaspoon you can fit 6-8 grams in it. I've done it as an experiment. If you don't believe me just try it.

2. Don't rely upon MFP, machines or other online calculators for calorie burn. You need a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. For example, I burn around 500 calories an hour running 5mph per my hrm, MFP will have me at 800 calories as hour. That adds up through the week.

3. Figure out your BMR and TDEE. Set your goal in between those numbers depending on how much weight you have to lose. The TDEE method already incorporates your exercise so you don't eat those calories back. There are a lot of good calculators online but I like this one: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ because it is based on the hours of exercise you do per week.

4. Drink a lot of water, a gallon a day is what was suggested based on a wellness class I just took at work in December. The exact term used was "if your pee isn't clear then you are dehydrated". I've also been told that by my primary care physician. If plain water is not your favorite then add some unsweetened tea, Crystal Light, etc. This is necessary to help your muscles after a work out and help your body's natural detox system work at it's best.

5. You need to eat to support your activity level. If you're really active you need to eat more, of more sedentary then eat less. This is where you need to experiment. Thus the need for the food scale and hrm or an activity tracker. I'm 40, 5'4 and eat 1900 on a non-active day but on many days I need to eat around 2100 to net around my RMR.

Finally don't expect to lose 2 lbs a week unless you have a lot to lose. As you lose more weight your losses will slow down. I really suspect if you are gaining at this point you are probably underestimating calories and overestimating burns. It's really easy to do. Even if you are only eating half of your calories back if you are underestimating food you could still be over. Weight loss is about 80% diet and 20% exercise.

I may be repeating others but it's worth repeating.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    99% sure this is water weight (otherwise you need to see a doctor), your body retains water to repair muscle so if you have not exercised like this before your muscles will need a lot of repair. Do your muscles ache?

Get out the tape measure, don't worry you have not defied human biology by gaining weight at a calorific deficit. xxxx

Hopefully you'll see the scales move more next month. :)
  • ReturnToRunning
    Options
    The first thing that sticks out to me is your weight training. Depending on how much you have to loose, you are more than likely going to put on a bit of weight first. I'm betting that despite the times when you look at the scale, you are feeling a bit better and you are feeling lighter. Remember that fat weighs significantly less than muscle, so while you are getting going, if you have not worked out a lot in the past, you will see some weight gain because that fat is turning into muscle. If you are looking to just loose weight quicker, I would drop your strength training down to 2 or 3 days a week and continue to run or do cardio everyday (make sure to take a rest day)! The cardio is what will burn the most fat.

Hope this helps.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
  • jargarbo
    jargarbo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have experienced the same a year ago when I was starting to do my work out. I did doubles of P90x and insanity back to back. After a month it seems like I wasn't losing weight and at the same time watching out my diet using MFP. I became frustrated that I recalculated my recommended calories in and thought I starving my body so much that it went to starvation mode. To be honest even though the scale is not showing any incentive or pat on the back... I felt good, energy level was great, clothes seems a bit loose.

What I'm trying to say is.... The important thing when you start your journey of losing fat, the best thing that you have to guage is not only the scale.... But what you feel and how your clothes feel when you wear them. After my 4th week.... Everything followed... My weight suddenly dropped continuously that made me feel much better on top of seeing the fat slowly melt away.

Just continue logging in and do your workouts and you'll see the next time you check your weight and look at yourself in the mirror... You're already there.

Good luck in this journey!
  • tracyowens22
    tracyowens22 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I had this same problem for MANY months and when it came down to it, I was making excuses for myself and grossly underestimating my portion sizes and over estimating my exercise and most days not logging 100% of what I ate. Three weeks ago, I started pre-packaging all my meals and snacks so my macros are spot on (40-50% carb, 30-40% protein, the rest in fat) and it seems to be working for me. Twelve lbs have fallen off in 3 weeks and 2 pants sizes. So even if you're measuring your food, be sure to log 100% of it. As far as exercise, I do about 8 hours of cardio a week, hitting target heart rate zone between 80-90% max heart rate. 30 minutes is great but if you're not getting your heart rate up high enough for long enough, you're just wasting your time. Invest in a heart rate monitor or some other type of monitor. I use a bodymedia. I also do at least 4 hours of strength training (some hours are mixed cardio/strength) a week and I don't skimp on the weights I use. Make yourself uncomfortable. It's only for a short period of time, you are not going to die. Try doing intervals, like a Tabata type workout where you mix cardio with strength/core. You'll see results. Keep your chin up. Your weight didn't get there over night, it won't go away over night. And be sure to take measurements. How do you know how far you've come if you're not tracking all results.