Dealing with Cravings?

Options
Hey everyone, I have no issues eating healthy, low calorie meals, and I do well not snacking a lot throughout the day, but as soon as evening hits , I can't keep my cravings/snacking under control!! What are your ways of fending off cravings, and if you do give in, what are some of your healthy options?

Replies

• celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    If I know I have already eaten my maximum macros for the day, I will drink water and make myself move away from any food. Drink a lot of water. Play with my kids. There are options and once you have established some control, you will feel even more empowered! Good luck!
  • valerie521
    valerie521 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I just read an article yesterday in womens health mag about food cravings or overeating I tend to overeat after eating like a champ until early afternoon... like I have no idea that I'm full and satisfied. (see below for Womens Health quote)

"Many people with food addiction have lower levels of dopamine receptors—the brain chemical in charge of pleasure—so as a result they need to reach a higher level of reward in order to feel the benefits."

Crazy.... I knew it had to be something and the article just goes on to say that you have to plan better. I recall when I used to pack a lunch I would eat strickly what I had for the day. I did pretty good. When I would get home from work, I'd open the fridge and dive it to whatever was leftover... no rhyme or reason, just binge

I am trying to keep healthier options, like already sliced apples and lo fat cheese. I love that snack as well as sliced cukes. If I would just be diligent about cutting everything up and popping them in the fridge, it would work better for me. Maybe I need to reorganize a few of my goals and make that one top of the list. It safe to say that I sabatogge myself by not preparing better.

Does that make sense?
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    This is my liiiiiiife!
    LOL
    I remember being with my old irish grandma and at bedtime we would drink milky tea and eat cookies and buttery toast. Dream life.
    But alas, those days are over.

When I have cravings at night it goes one of two ways:

scenario 1: I was smart, I didn't indulge much during the working day, I exercised and I saved 200-400 cals for just this sort of thing…the nighttime FEEEEEEED. I manage to do this most days because I know my weaknesses :)
    With these glorious calories I usually have an apple, grapes, maybe a chocolate Fiber One bar (90 cals) or a Kashi bar (150 cals) if I feel like I want something resembling junk food. Sometimes I have a little choco almond milk and some pop corners or tortilla chips….they are easy because serving size is like 12 chips or so and you just count them out and put away the bag. Sometimes I have a handful of nuts with some cheese…whatever I can have small portions of and get a couple different tastes. Buy ziploc snack bags and make yourself portions of this stuff and you will know the boundaries instead of bedtime kitchen exploring.

scenario 2: I didn't really save cals, maybe I have 100 left. In that case I chem gum or have a couple of sugar free Werther's and a cup of fruity tea. The end.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Hello, Katie,

Lately I have found myself having a snack about 11, then lunch at 1 and another snack about 4. I workout when I get home so I need a little something before hand. this routine that I have gotten myself into has helped with the evening munchies dramatically, and I always end up having a very small lunch.

My calories are currently set at 1650, and I usually wind up with a few calories to spare at the end of the day, whereas used to go home and gorge as soon as I walked in the door.

Here are a few things that I keep at work:

- raw almonds or walnuts, usually have about 10 almonds or 5 walnut halves instead of a full ounce.

- Kashi bars have been a godsend to me, they have some I really like and they are usually in the 130-150 calorie range with a good amount of protein.

- Fage 2% Greek Yogurt (which I actually just had about an hour ago)

My only problem I am trying to work on now is the PMS cravings. Two days a month I tend to go over calories, so I'm trying to find some more high protein savory choices.
  • johhunt47
    johhunt47 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've found that tea helps curb my appetite. recently got addicted to green tea and that has really helped keep my cravings in check.
  • teach1write
    teach1write Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try juicing in a blender (I use Vitamix which is the best). Put carrot, celery, cucumber and any fruit you like and mix. I drink veggie juice before dinner.
  • callmestephanie
    callmestephanie Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I can't control myself when junk is in the house... so I just stopped buying it. I only buy healthy options for snacks so a binge isn't so bad when I eat a cup of yogurt vs a bowl of ice cream or a few cups of air popped popcorn vs half a bag of chips.

Now if only I could get my husband to stop bringing junk in the house for himself or worse, for me. >_< haha
  • teach1write
    teach1write Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Also, I don't think about calories at all (I've lost over 30 lbs and kept it off for 2 years). I eat healthy. I eat fresh raw fruits and veggies, make homemade hummus with whole seed crackers for snacking. I eat a small (1 inch square) of cheese with crackers if hungry. I eat healthy fats/carbs/protein at every meal when I can (I follow loosely the Zone Diet principles). I do not ever miss a meal. Seeds, nuts and fruit are a great snack.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I was having this same problem basically. When I get home, I just want to eat for some reason and would end up going over my cal count by a couple hundred, no matter what I did to try and stop myself from doing that. So instead of trying to force myself to change a habit I obviously didn't want to change and restrict myself when I got home, which I have been mostly unable to do, I changed the timing and way I eat my calories instead and leave the biggest amount for when I get home. I just cut out a couple hundred during the day and use them for when I'm home. I still get enough during the day and I finally quit fighting my natural desire to eat a little more at night or when I'm home. It has worked perfectly because I'm not beating myself up for having a little extra, cause now it's not extra, it's my goal number. It seems logical now, but at the time I was trying to eat less at night even though that's when I want to eat the most.
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough during the day? As importantly, are you eating enough Fat / Protein / Fiber / Water during the day? If I don't, I'm messed up and will eat anything. Sweet treat for me is some 85% coco solids dark choc - hits the spot without setting off cravings.

If I start eating sugary stuff, that's it, game over - that's all I want to eat. So I stay off it - I know, moderation. But I know my triggers, so avoid them. I still eat cake the odd time - but I acknowledge that if I have some it can take me a day or two to get my mojo back.
  • katieihebb
    katieihebb Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Very helpful!! :)
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I have plenty of snacks on hand at work... Greek yogurt is my breakfast as well as my afternoon snack, bananas, an apple, I'll have a handful of almonds most days... the other thing that has REALLY helped me is (hot) tea. I never used to like it but I think I didn't give it a fair shot. There are some awesome flavors that are almost sweet (I don't sweeten mine at all). It helps you get your water in (especially if you drink the ones without caffeine) and it's a nice, warm treat. I love tea.
  • FitMolly182
    FitMolly182 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I throw a half tablespoon of dark chocolate chips into my protein shake and that seems to help. quest bars help me, too.
  • SarahBeth0625
    Options
    I throw a half tablespoon of dark chocolate chips into my protein shake and that seems to help. quest bars help me, too.

Chocolate... another daily fix I have to get in. It's my weakness!
  • katieihebb
    katieihebb Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Chocolate... another daily fix I have to get in. It's my weakness!

Chocolate is also my weakness! hahaha, Thanks for the tips ladies :)
  • SarahBeth0625
    Options

Chocolate is also my weakness! hahaha, Thanks for the tips ladies :)

LOL. I have yet to encounter any one that HATES chocolate. Some may not have quite the affinity for it, but yeah. As a kid I didn't care for it much, now it has to be in my bloodstream at some point during the day. :smile: