night time leg cramps

Options
[I know people are going to say "potassium", but it's not potassium. I've had 3 blood tests in the last couple of months checking my potassium levels, they are fine]. I've started taking magnesium supplements, but they don't seem to help either.

So I've been finding I get night leg cramps on the day(s) following especially lengthy aerobic exercise (stair mill/elliptical). It seems pretty replicable that if I limit my workouts to 45 minutes or less, I'm fine, but if I go to 50-70 minutes, I get cramps.

Any suggestions on how I could change my routine to get in longer workouts, and avoiding the cramps?

Thanks

Replies

• Overweight2great
    Options
    Dehydrated? I find that I tend to cramp at night and suffer from restless legs when my fluid intake isn't as high as it should/could be. Just a suggestion from personal experience :)
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I tend to get them if I'm not drinking enough (for what it's worth).
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I get these too -- just had one the other night, in fact. I think stretching before/after a workout is supposed to help. I always am good about doing it before, but am going to try after too to see. HTH!
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Are you cutting sodium by chance? That can sometime do it.
    Hydration is another key issue.
    Also... flexibility and overall muscle tone. I get leg cramps and it's because I have chronically tight muscles. A really good stretching routine could help!
  • JohnDowding
    JohnDowding Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I don't think the problem is dehydration (I follow the clear-and-copius-urine rule), but that is harder to rule out. I certainly do get dehydrated, but try to recover before bedtime (usually work out around midday.

Stretching may be the thing, not stretching even though I know I should. I'll try that.

Thanks again
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of fluids. That's what my doctor told me to do. I've quit having them.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I'd go with what the other guys say. Stretch out after exercise and lightly before you go to bed and make sure you are not dehydrated. I would also have some potassium anyway :-)
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Try doing active stretches before working out and then static stretches afterward. You can also try doing some stretches before you go to bed each night and see if that helps.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I think it also depends on how long you have exercised for. If you are back at it after a while or are doing a lot then your muscles can just cramp though the battering we give them. I had this, potassium helped but didn't get rid of it but they really reduced over time as my muscles got used to being battered again.
  • danagolding
    Options
    I agree with what people are saying about making sure you are staying hydrated and stretching. What about doing some foam rolling as well?
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Like the others said, hydration is key, stretching before workouts and before bedtime. A warm shower or bath helps too. Have you ever tried Yoga? The slow stretching is beneficial. I've gotten my husband to join me and that's what really helped his leg cramps.
  • salevy
    salevy Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I also had night time leg cramps and after working out. My nutritionist and doctor both told me it's because the muscles are looking for hydration.

I got this from my chiropractor. I put it on my refrigerator:

Drinking water at a certain time maximizes its effectiveness on the body:

2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs

1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion

1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure

1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack

Drinking a glass of water at bedtime can also help prevent leg cramps. Your muscles are seeking hydration when they cramp and wake you up with a Charlie Horse.

Hope this helps.
  • micheeks
    micheeks Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Eat bananas to place the potassium in your body.
    If in the middle of a cramp you can eat a dash of salt as well.
  • jamesalytle
    jamesalytle Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hey John, I've been having similar issues since I had gall bladder removal a few months ago. Tests don't show any deficiencies but I found by pure random that bananas help minimize the issues. At first I figured oh must be potassium then so I got potassium supplements and that did nothing so might be something else. Long story short, does eating a banana help you feel any better?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    There are a few kinds of magnesium. For me the trick was finding the one. For me it was magnesium citrate. Foot cramps and charley horses are gone.
    Trace minerals in water, or electrolytes might help as well.
    Good luck!
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Too much protein in your diet can cause leg cramps as well.
  • JoannaEngel84
    JoannaEngel84 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    While you may be hydrated, longer workouts = more sweating = you need more electrolytes. Your potassium may be fine when you get tested, but it could be that on those days after you've worked out, your body is low on potassium, sodium, etc. Try having a sports drink instead of straight water after you work out.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Too much protein in your diet can cause leg cramps as well.

Hm, interesting! I never even thought to link that. I do know I eat plenty of bananas so my potassium should be fine.
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    ^^ Not due to a lack of potassium.

Too much protein >> calcium depletion >> muscle spasm
  • JohnDowding
    JohnDowding Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the point about high-protein may cause leg cramps. Do you know of any URLs supporting that?

When I googled this myself, I did see this prior topic on MFP that seems relevant. I am not Atkins-style low carb, but have restricted my carbs (75-100g per day). I am curious about the sodium too, I have been craving sodium like mad, but been reluctant to give in.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/529391-leg-cramps