Frustrated with nonMFP people!!!

Options

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    So where I work EVERYONE is super skinny and eats and drinks non stop but few have kids and all work out like crazy! I have lost close to 60 pounds over the last year and have completely changed my mindset and plan to keep going, this is who I am now. I am told often how great I look by coworkers but the fact that I get teased all the time because no one wants to work with me because I never want to eat out or have treats is getting old. Lately people are choosing to work in our other office when they can and make a big day of it and eat all day long... the constant digs are annoying...is food really that big of a deal?!

I don't really understand what the problem is. If it really bothers you that much eat what they eat during the day.......and then don't eat anymore. Or....You could decide you don't really care what other people think.
  • Are you sure that's how it's going or is that how you perceive it to be?

Maybe it's nothing but sitting in the office all day totally alone while the others are in the other one stuffing their faces makes me feel this way.

when you say no all the time....then they already know your answer.

maybe shake it up and say yes next time and have something that fits your macros.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    That's the thing, I've never turned them down because they never asked since I started losing. They make the decision for me... I think they believe they are doing me a favour but it's ticking me off now.

That doesn't sound consistent with your earlier statement...
    "...no one wants to work with me because I never want to eat out..."

If you aren't turning them down because they aren't asking, how would they know you "never want to eat out"?

Seems to me they're getting a solid "don't ask me!" signal from you.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Like I said, I've never said No... they just assume I will... maybe they're afraid that by inviting me to overindulge I will go off the rails and they don't want to be responsible lol!

sorry misunderstood the problem-

yep sounds like you need to suggest a restaurant or bring in a big batch of something you like to eat and share and invite them into "your world" they are just scared of you because you are "different" ( i don't mean that in a mean way just that they can't relate)
  • jacquelaine
    jacquelaine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That's the thing, I've never turned them down because they never asked since I started losing. They make the decision for me... I think they believe they are doing me a favour but it's ticking me off now.

Maybe they don't want to affect your amazing habit changes or tempt you with their decisions to go out. You should definitely approach them instead of letting it fester within you. If they're just being rude and not inviting you, why would you want to spend time with them anyway!? Keep up the good work!
  • Fedup23
    Fedup23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    ...is food really that big of a deal?!

Some people have no issues with food and eating as a group is an age old form of bonding and can be a great thing. So yes, to many it is a big deal.. Im in the same boat as you.. I need to lose weight and to reign myself in so I miss out on some of the outings/potlucks at work because I cant do it RIGHT NOW. I will when i have better control of myself and am at a more comfortable weight, in the meantime I wont begrudge or resent anyone else their enjoyment.
  • mark525
    mark525 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Dang..stop worrying about what other people say and do and do for you! If you are good with your choices and happy then get past it already! You can join in with them just control what you stick in your mouth! If you don't like them then dont worry about it!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...I miss out on some of the outings/potlucks at work because I cant do it RIGHT NOW. I will when i have better control of myself...

See, there's another thing. Signalling "I can't control my eating" is like shining the Bat Signal over your head, only in a negative way that says "I'm not in charge of myself". That's not a...positive. Especially as it is coupled with an implicit rejection of your peers.

The best course of action here is to find the discipline to go AND to control yourself.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Do you get along with these people? They may sense you are annoyed. Try to be friendly and happy
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    oh
  • Shelley6591
    Shelley6591 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Some people have no issues with food and eating as a group is an age old form of bonding and can be a great thing. So yes, to many it is a big deal.. Im in the same boat as you.. I need to lose weight and to reign myself in so I miss out on some of the outings/potlucks at work because I cant do it RIGHT NOW. I will when i have better control of myself and am at a more comfortable weight, in the meantime I wont begrudge or resent anyone else their enjoyment.

...and no offense.. but you sound kind of whiny..first they all tease you about eating healthy..then you think they might not be inviting you to help you..maybe they just dont like you?? sounds like YOU might be the problem, adjust your attitude and maybe they will.

'No offense' oh ok... I'm not a whiney person at all and it's been a year and it's just getting to me now so... thanks for insinuating my coworkers don't like me, I think they like me just fine thank you, I'm just trying to think of a way to express with them that it's ok for them to ask me. I think I'll take the CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISM and invite myself net time... no need to be a jerk! :huh:
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    It wasn't until I changed the way I now eat to realize everything everyone does involves food.

My wife is pure Italian and I can't go over to her moms house!! She is now eating like me due to a heart attack and has a hard time with family get togethers. They always bug here into "just a bite if this".

lol
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Here's a thought OP, take some initiative and ASK THEM where they are going for lunch that day. ASK to go, SUGGEST a place that has choices you will be able to eat and they will like as well. Maybe they think you don't want to go anymore because of your new habits. I agree with another post that said you were whiny, you kinda have the Woe is me attitude with this! If you don't like being left behind, take some initiative and be the one to ask what the plans are. Nothing will change with your coworkers unless you do I!
  • Fedup23
    Options
    ...I miss out on some of the outings/potlucks at work because I cant do it RIGHT NOW. I will when i have better control of myself...

See, there's another thing. Signalling "I can't control my eating" is like shining the Bat Signal over your head, only in a negative way that says "I'm not in charge of myself". That's not a...positive. Especially as it is coupled with an implicit rejection of your peers.

The best course of action here is to find the discipline to go AND to control yourself.

I choose not to.. RIGHT NOW.. Im bringing my own food to eat at work and enjoying it.. my co-workers are great and reject me in no ways..lol, I have no idea where your "Bat signal" and "rejection of my peers" idea come from. , I just choose to make my lunch and log it the night before as I get myself into a better physical place. I guess I haven't been through the same psychiatry classes as you have. I dont see where knowing your triggers and avoiding them while working on a better lifestyle is suddenly a negative. I call it taking charge of your life and changing habits no matter the method, whether it is just not going to the red velvet cake and ice-cream birthday celebration in the front office, or strutting in there and refusing the slice passed to me or even taking a bite and putting it aside. . But hey, you and I are different. Congrats on showing everyone how "stong" you are. I have demonstrated my strength by bringing my lunch and politely declining something that would not help me in any way right now. :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Invite them to lunch...

I have lost almost as much as you in the course of a year and it doesn't stop people from asking me because I ask them.

I have cake at birthdays...when we do go out I order what I want (ff and chicken fingers) with gravy...people see me eat all food as nothing is bad....

I haven't advertised I am counting calories they just see me getting smaller...no idea how (I actually think they believe I work out all the time)
  • Fedup23
    Options

...and no offense.. but you sound kind of whiny..first they all tease you about eating healthy..then you think they might not be inviting you to help you..maybe they just dont like you?? sounds like YOU might be the problem, adjust your attitude and maybe they will.

'No offense' oh ok... I'm not a whiney person at all and it's been a year and it's just getting to me now so... thanks for insinuating my coworkers don't like me, I think they like me just fine thank you, I'm just trying to think of a way to express with them that it's ok for them to ask me. I think I'll take the CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISM and invite myself net time... no need to be a jerk! :huh:

You are right.. I deleted my last bit.. you just sounded "all over the map" sorry! You are frustrated and I apologize for reading it wrong.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options

Here's a thought OP, take some initiative and ASK THEM where they are going for lunch that day. ASK to go, SUGGEST a place that has choices you will be able to eat and they will like as well. Maybe they think you don't want to go anymore because of your new habits. I agree with another post that said you were whiny, you kinda have the Woe is me attitude with this! If you don't like being left behind, take some initiative and be the one to ask what the plans are. Nothing will change with your coworkers unless you do I!

Have to agree take the initative... because maybe its not about the food! If were me id be WTF..and make them tell me to my face they dont want me around.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Maybe they just aren't that into you.
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I observe daily the communal eaters that have clearly bonded to form their own groups of which I'm not a part. Maybe it's my slightly introverted and independent nature but personally I'm not bothered in the least. I view these groups in the same way as do the smokers or after-work drinkers (never smoked and recently stopped drinking). I have more important issues to deal with in my life and when it comes to my diet I have no intention of being derailed by peer pressure (real or perceived).

Frankly because I understand their position and vice-versa I have no problems with these people. We still talk and sometimes I will still get asked to go to lunch with them but invariably politely decline. Many of them are pizza eating gym fanatics but rarely rib me on my eating habits. In fact, some of them have started eating similarly (porridge with blackberries, apple, and cinnamon is now very popular in the office).

The only negative since I started to approach my target weight is that I'm now sensing some co-workers think I need feeding up. Today being a typical example - chocolate bars, savoury snacks, mini-mars, coconut & chocolate biscuits, home-baked treats all either appearing on my desk or being offered. The home-made ones are of course the hardest to decline.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Not sure who has a bigger case of insecurity here, or FOMO.