Macros - 40/40/20 - as good a place as any?

Options
So. Have decided to get a bit more precise about my macros. Generally I have been trying to eat more protein, less carbs (less than 100g per day) and not worried about the fat! It works ok for me but I think I can do better if I'm more precise, reduce fats and up carbs a little. Working on TDEE- 5 to 10% and the 40/40/20 split historically shows my fats as too high - not helped by the amounts from peanut butter and nuts!

So I plan to work to my TDEE-10% (1800-1900 cals) with a 40/40/20 split and see where that takes me. The peanut butter may have to go or either/or it and the nuts...

I'll stop logging exercise cals and think it seems a reasonable plan to maintain/lose a small amount over a few months and without losing muscle mass.

What do you gusy think who are more experienced with this science than me??

Replies

• justinproulx1
    Options
    use this follow it magic will happen
  • DeirdreGoals
    Options
    Bob Harper likes this split:) He seems to know his stuff! Good luck!
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    That's where I usually help people start out at... any changes you make should be made "permanent" for at least a month to see any changes and know if it is or isn't working. If it is, stick with it... if not, tweak it... I sometimes go up to 30% from fats depending on how I feel that day :flowerforyou: good luck!
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys and gals. I like the science behind it and I like being precise so kind of looking forward to trying to hit those numbers tomorrow.

Sounds sensible to stick with it for a month or so before tweaking if necessary.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    If you have any questions or need support. FR me or PM me. Good luck :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Base macros needed to meet nutritional requirements are, IME, are quite different from those needed to fuel extensive exercise.

I prefer a sliding scale of macros. I use 40/30/30 for BMR/RMR + NEAT (other ratios are fine, too), but for exercise calories beyond that it's more like 70/20/10.
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    If you have any questions or need support. FR me or PM me. Good luck :)

Thanks. FR sent. That would double my friends to 2 :-)