• marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    40/30/30 is great too :heart:

Look at that good deed we just did!
  • rubydrm
    rubydrm Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    When I want something sweet (which is often lol) I eat a red delicious apple. Not every time obviously but when that craving is coming on for something sweet, I hold out for a day or two and then enjoy an apple. It's worked for me!
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options

Makes me shed a tear. How says you can't get good info via forums. :cry:
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options

Makes me shed a tear. How says you can't get good info via forums. :cry:

It's true -- you can. The biggest problem is most people don't want to hear the truth! It usually goes against everything they've learned in the past, or what they are currently doing... !
  • peebeebs
    Options
    marypatmccue & DeadliftAddic:

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my profile and make suggestions. I am going to look further into this macro nutrient levels thing!
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm a sugar fan too- particularly chocolate. If I don't have some planned into my day I will rummage in the cupboards for some chocolate chips or something to try and satisfy me. That said, i don't believe in deprivation. I don't cut out sweets, I DO try to keep from eating an entire store's worth of candy though.

I've been making chocolate buckeyes (PB candies dipped in chocolate) they're super rich and even though they are about 100 cals, I can eat 2 and be satisfied. In fact, when I tried to eat 4 the other day I got sick to my stomach, so it's built in portion control.

I also love handmade gourmet chocolate. It's creamy and rich and one or two pieces go a long way. I can eat two of these OR go nuts on Hershey's kisses and eat a whole bag. That's a no brainer for me lol!

It's about satisfaction for me, and I've gone from binging on sweets nearly every night to being more than happy with a small taste of something yummy.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

No need to do 40/30/30. A calorie is a calorie.

Just kidding. But this thread was going too smoothly.
  • missworld95
    missworld95 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    try flavoured tea or coffee, its usually what I have. They have chocolate flavoured tea, no calories.
  • Okay, Confession time.

1) I'm a male (sorry!) And we're not supposed to have sugar cravings. Well guess what, read on.
    2) Most of these posts would fall into the 'sugar/chocolate ISSUE' basket. Well, guess what....

I am a hardcore, full-time, beyond redemption sugar/choc ADDICT. i have been all my life.

What do I mean by addict? I mean in the literal sense of the word. As crack is to a junkie so candy is to me.

Example: Most days I eat a kilo to a kilo and a half of chocolate candy. I say 'most days'. The other days its more like 2 kilos.

My idea of a snack is to sit down with a 250 gram bar of chocolate and to utterly demolish it. That's breakfast.

Between meals I snack all day on candies. And then, after supper, I get serious. 500 grams of chocolate bridge mix? No problem. That's just a sweetner to see me through the night--and the next morning's chocolate bar.

You start to get the picture?

I should be massively overweight, and I am to a degree. I need to lose about 15 kilos.

So now I'm on my latest mission to cut out the white/brown stuff. I've tried repeatedly in the past, only to go on a binge after about a week. And when I say 'BINGE'.... Oh, boy. Let's not go there.

This time around I got serious. No sugar at all. Not even in hot chocolate. I substitute no sugar/no fat cocoa instead.

It's now been seven weeks of abstinence. And today the cravings are as strong as ever. Twice I almost jumped into the car to make a mercy dash to the supermarket. But so far I'm clinging on, by the proverbial skin of my teeth.

I lost 7 kilos in the first month of my diet--but that is just testimony to the awfulness of said diet. (Did I mention I also love French fries?)

So, for me, the cravings will never go away. I'm resigned to living with them as best I can. I expect that on my deathbed I'll request a chocolate bar, and eat it with great relish.

But for now I'm feeling moody, restless, irritable, fatigued and bored as I try to get through the next 10 minutes, and then the next 10 after that.

If I'm not eating chocolate I'm thinking about eating chocolate. Sigh.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the "if you crave this, eat this" chart. Google it. It says to eat cruciferous vegetables, leafy greens, and a bunch of other stuff. If you don't like vegetables, you can blend something like kale up with fruit and make it taste better. If you aren't worried about fat, I sometimes add some whipping cream to my sons smoothies and he says it makes them taste like ice cream.
  • Thanks. I just Googled the chart. I've tried most of the foods they recommend. But I might give magnesium chromium supplements a go.

I honestly think I am a case beyond nutritional science! Example, a nutritionist prescribed liquid Gymnema for me. "It will kill your taste for sugar," she promised. I drank half the bottle and followed it down with a chocolate bar. The bar did taste a bit 'funny' I'll admit. So I ate another one to get rid of the taste.

I think I'm going to have to solve this on my own. And the only solution I can think of is grim, teeth-gripping abstinence in the hope the cravings will diminish somewhat, even if they never go away. But thanks again for the advice.
  • Sunbrooke
    Options
    I watched this show called "freaky eaters" on Netflix. According to the show, some people do have abnormal taste, but for most of them it was psychological. One lady ate 6500 calories a day just from sugar.
  • Yes, it probably is psychological. Sugar/chocolate is very definitely a comfort food for me. I got the habit from my mother--who consoled herself with sweet things whenever she wasn't right with the world.

But the line between psychology and biology ( as in brain chemistry) can be very fine. A few years ago I was briefly on Xanax for anxiety. I didn't like the effects and stopped after a week. But I did notice that my sugar cravings declined markedly while on the medication. Whether this was due to improved mood (less stress) or chemical changes wrought by the medication I do not know. It's a bit like the chicken-egg conundrum. In moments of black humour I tell myself that the sugar craving is actually masking a deeper addiction, to salt.

Anyway, about an hour ago I was fighting this intense sugar rush craving and went out and purchased 100 grams of salted cashews. The combination of salt and protein is, I find, a quite effective 'blocker' and helps get one through the blue period when nothing but sugar will do. Spicy food in general seems to have a palliative effect.
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    from DeadliftAddict
    Well that depends. Are you the type that can handle eating some simple sugars or treats in moderation? If so, make those things you enjoy part of your day. Fit it into your macros. It's what most people call IIFYM. If-It-Fits-Your-Macros. So, if after you have filled your daily requirements for say protein and you've ate a good balanced days food. You know, Got your micronutrients for the day. With some fruit and leafy vegetables. You have about 30 to 45 grams of carbs left and say 10-15 grams of fat left. Fit in a good tasting whatever you want to have in those macros. Ice cream, cake, candy, you name it. When you get good at this you will be able to do it with different foods that you may have a craving for and still hit your macros and be in a caloric deficit. You will still lose weight while doing so. Notice I did not say you can eat however much you want and still lose weight which is what most non IIFYM people get butt hurt about. You will have to learn how to stop at a serving size of ice cream or cookies or whatever. It will make dropping fat so much more enjoyable. If you can't handle this yet and food like that will cause you to completely fall of the wagon and binge for days and weeks then IIFYM isn't for you. You will have to limit your treats to once or twice a week. Hope this helps.
    That is very helpful. Thank you.
  • Sunbrooke
    Options
    Yes, it probably is psychological. Sugar/chocolate is very definitely a comfort food for me. I got the habit from my mother--who consoled herself with sweet things whenever she wasn't right with the world.

But the line between psychology and biology ( as in brain chemistry) can be very fine. A few years ago I was briefly on Xanax for anxiety. I didn't like the effects and stopped after a week. But I did notice that my sugar cravings declined markedly while on the medication. Whether this was due to improved mood (less stress) or chemical changes wrought by the medication I do not know. It's a bit like the chicken-egg conundrum. In moments of black humour I tell myself that the sugar craving is actually masking a deeper addiction, to salt.

Anyway, about an hour ago I was fighting this intense sugar rush craving and went out and purchased 100 grams of salted cashews. The combination of salt and protein is, I find, a quite effective 'blocker' and helps get one through the blue period when nothing but sugar will do. Spicy food in general seems to have a palliative effect.

When my husband quit smoking, first he tried to take care of the strongest psychological part, which for him was the hand to mouth habit, by switching to dip for a year. Next he quit cigarettes on a significant day (our anniversary), so that he felt a strong tie between quitting, and us having a long life together. We also figured out how much money he was saving and put it all in a jar to add to spending money while in Vegas (his favorite thing is vacationing). When he quit, he ate bags of candy. He doesn't normally even like it. We didn't limit it at all since he was trying to get over nicotine. After a few weeks, he stopped eating the candy and switched to spicy peanuts for a few months. Then he went back to eating normal. We went to Vegas about 7 months after he quit. I think he felt he was celebrating since he had his jar money, lol.

My point is, your spicy things and nuts idea is great. for the first few week you are giving up sugar, it may help to not limit your diet in any other ways. Don't feel bad if you a whole can of cashews, if you managed to refrain of eating any refined sugar, while you are getting over the addiction part of your cravings.
  • peebeebs
    Options
    Have you tried the "if you crave this, eat this" chart. Google it. It says to eat cruciferous vegetables, leafy greens, and a bunch of other stuff. If you don't like vegetables, you can blend something like kale up with fruit and make it taste better. If you aren't worried about fat, I sometimes add some whipping cream to my sons smoothies and he says it makes them taste like ice cream.

Thanks sunbrooke, I just printed it out!!
  • bradXdale
    Options
    Try dark chocolate (70% cocoa or more)

Banana, apples, oranges, etc.

Make a protein shake with almond milk (taste like a milkshake for around 200 calories)

Or like others have said, quit dieting and start IIFYM if you can be diligent with filling your numbers.
  • laurx3o
    Options
    I love the arctic zero ice cream that I get from Whole Foods and Giant market. It's a protein ice cream that is 150 for the entire pint. The best flavor is hands down chocolate peanut butter. The trick is to leave it sit out for about 10 minutes so it gets creamy like ice cream. You've got to try it!