Trying to lose weight on a tight budget!

Options

Replies

• callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    I picked up the wii fit for £10 which is not a lot of money considering the investment you are making to improve yourself.

You could do jogging on the spot, get a cheap pedometer to monitor your steps.

I don't like going outside in the winter either, but I make myself now. Instead of asking my partner to take me to the shops for milk or to the train station, I'll walk instead. It is just under 2 miles there and back, which is a good walk. I do this 5 times a week now.

I used to say that eating healthy is expensive too, but after cutting out the junk and take aways, I am spending £85 a week on a food shop now instead of £70, but saving at least £30 on junk through out the week added on.

I buy frozen veg, stock up on meat to freeze if it is cheap, go to local markets for fresh produce instead of the supermarket becaue it is so much cheaper!
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    But....recently I noticed I have put on at least 20lbs since the spring of 2013. My fav Guess skinny jeans (size 30!) which he bought me now no longer fit :( I can't even get them up past my knees. I cried for almost an hour. It's crazy how we never notice the weight piling up until it's too late but notice every little bit that leaves!
    My finances also got seriously messed up and I am now living paycheck to paycheck. I can't afford most of the healthy stuff I want and should be eating, I can't afford a gym membership or any equipment. I DESPISE the cold so I don't get outside much in the winter. I sooooo want to fit back into those Guess skinny jeans....can anyone offer some pointers to someone on a serious budget?? Oh....and I have very little willpower or motivation. LOL I will be the first to admit, I am lazy...it's how I grew up. I didn't grow up in an active home, my mother is overweight.
    Any advice will be appreciated....but please be gentle! LOL

Whenever someone ends a post with "please be gentle", I think they must already know the answers to their own questions. With that said, I will try to oblige ...

Starting your quote with the key word ... "But ..." This is what I hear from your post:
    I want, but...
    I can't, but ...
    I don't, but....

Weight gain and weigh loss are mathematical equations. Eat more calories than our body needs = weight gain. Eat less calories than our body needs = weight loss. No fancy foods, gym equipment, personal trainers, etc. needed - Just hard work and commitment. At this point in your life, your background story and your mother's status are not relevant. Your current mindset is.

We gain weight because we chose to eat more calories than we use. We fail to lose weight because we don't do what we need to do to create a calorie deficit. As I read the rest of your post, I think you have already identified your biggest road blocks and it is not your tight budget. There are many people here in this community (myself included), that would be happy to help you but you have to be ready to put in the hard work as there are no quick fixes or shortcuts. Being healthy is a lifestyle choice. Excuses undermine success. When you are done crying over your skinny jeans and ready to come back with a CAN DO attitude, you can start by making a list of what you DO have access to, including whole fresh foods/ingredients (time to get rid of the packaged stuff) and start researching things like "You are Your Own Gym" and fitness resources on You-Tube, inexpensive exercise DVD's, etc. Your best success will come from doing your own research and then asking people how to fill in the holes or how to make adjustments to what you are already putting together on your own.

Wow...Well first of all, I am just starting out on this journey and was trying to be honest by giving a little history of how I ended up on this site. Your comment "when you are done crying over your skinny jeans" is why I never wanted to do this before. That doesn't help me in any way. That "tough love" sort of thing doesn't work for everyone. I came here looking for ADVICE, not to be talked down to by anyone. Please realize that your techiques and opinions will not be valid for everyone.

I think what that poster was trying to tell you is that if you are focusing on something like skinny jeans vs. the bigger picture of being healthy, it will not matter what advice you receive because your mindset is not conducive to doing what needs to be done. That's not being tough on you, that's being real. It gets pretty maddening for regular posters when people come in and lament about not being a super cute size they used to be and omg, being healthy is SO expensive! It's really not. It's about prioritizing and not copping out with BS excuses, like "low fat" food being too expensive.

I can't even
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    On a tight budget in the US (Las Vegas, NV to be exact, yes, home of the big buffets although not so cheap anymore). I have managed to keep my gym membership (and I'll be super thankful of that in the summer months) but I also know that there are so many free You Tube exercise videos available and I'd say exercise in the house to those (or borrowed from the library) is as good of a place as any to start. Use canned goods as weights and march in place holding a can of veggies in each hand. That will help with some minor strength training too. Drink lots of water if you can do it.

You can do this just by eating less and moving more. It's harder than eating "clean" (as I equate to costly and healthy) but it can be done. The basic idea is eat at deficit (but no more than 100 calories below what MFP suggests (before exercise calories are added back in and try to eat back some of those) or you'll have the "Diary Nazi" yelling at you (it's not that bad but whenever I read that I'm not eating enough, I always hear it in my head as yelling)) and get some daily exercise in. My current challenge is to walk at least 10,000 steps daily. It looks like I might get 3,000 or 4,000 of those in at my desk job (counting each time I get up and go to the printer, or maybe the kitchen area for lunch, things like that).

Feel free to add me if you need additional support. You can do this!!!!!
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Where do people find these farmer's markets where things are cheaper than the grocery store?! We went to one this weekend to compare, and everything we checked was more expensive yet than the organics at our local store.

I agree, I have never found farmer's markets near me where the prices are cheaper than the grocery store!

A lot of people often tell me that. I guess my town has one that's not like the norm. Mind you though, I've never been to a farmer's market before starting this weight loss. So, I don't have much to compare... as its the only one I go to. But, I spend like $5 yesterday on 2 heads of Romaine, 4 tomatoes, mushroom, and 4 bell peppers.
  • fittoday14
    Options
    My whole life I have felt....and been called....overweight. Although now I look back at photos and realize I was quite slim! The only time I ever lost significant weight is when my now-ex husband ended our 18 year relationship in 2012 by telling me he was sneaking around with my now-ex best friend and was leaving me for her!
    I went into a depression and didn't eat a stitch of food for over three weeks, until my Mother made me go to the doctor. I lost about 16lbs. I could notice it in my face, thighs and my belly.
    I started to feel better in a few weeks after medication and a lot of friendship therapy. I actually started to enjoy my new found size! For the first time in many, many years, I fit into a size 30 jean!! I was always a 36 or more!
    A few months later, I met an amazing man, we are still together and going strong. But....recently I noticed I have put on at least 20lbs since the spring of 2013. My fav Guess skinny jeans (size 30!) which he bought me now no longer fit :( I can't even get them up past my knees. I cried for almost an hour. It's crazy how we never notice the weight piling up until it's too late but notice every little bit that leaves!
    My finances also got seriously messed up and I am now living paycheck to paycheck. I can't afford most of the healthy stuff I want and should be eating, I can't afford a gym membership or any equipment. I DESPISE the cold so I don't get outside much in the winter. I sooooo want to fit back into those Guess skinny jeans....can anyone offer some pointers to someone on a serious budget?? Oh....and I have very little willpower or motivation. LOL I will be the first to admit, I am lazy...it's how I grew up. I didn't grow up in an active home, my mother is overweight.
    Any advice will be appreciated....but please be gentle! LOL

Also....I thought I would add that I am in Canada....and unfortunately our foods etc seem to be more expensive than in the US. There is a farmer's market near me but their prices can be high. I am also a picky eater, lol, I don't like a lot of veggies (peppers, onions, zuccinni, mushrooms, celery, cauliflower) so that makes cooking a little tricky and sometimes bland. LOL
    Our (mine and my bf) budget is $65 a week right now. We always buy eggs and a few kinds of proteins (chicken, pork) for meals when it's on sale along with some frozen dinners for lunches. I could use some ideas for afternoon snacks and easy breakfasts though!

I do like to walk....mostly in the summer. When it is -18 degrees celcius out like today, I realllly would rather not go for a walk!
    I never thought to check youtube for workout and meal ideas, thanks to all for that advice!

Wow, I applaud you for being able to move past what's happened. I'm glad you're in another relationship! My sister has been divorced 10+ yrs (3 kids) and still hasn't been able to move past the hurt and guilt and pain. :love: :flowerforyou:

I think one thing you can do (perhaps, idk Canada) but look for more "ethnic" supermarkets. In my area we have quite a few Asian, Latino, Middle Eastern, etc. markets where I can get less expensive produce and fish (not meat, that's usually more expensive than the supermarkets). Do your homework, find out where locals go shop for less expensive food items. I have found that people in my area are finding out where I shop more and more. The internet is bringing us all closer together! Also, check out Amazon.com, I've bought a few food items from them before (free shipping!) and some of they're foods are inexpensive.

Lastly, and I only say this because another of my sisters (4 kids, her husband got laid off and only found a job as a taxi driver) is on these websites all the time and she gets free stuff + food ALL THE TIME: on fb join hip2save + freebieshark (and other places, i forgot them now). As I type this you can go get free cereal! :love: :noway:
  • Jurow
    Jurow Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    hey
    ive had times when moneys been tight, and i think through default thats when i've been fitest.
    food wise i pretty much lived off rice mixed veg eggs just lightly fry it all with oilive oil and oyster sauce that and just drink water. it can get boring when you can making a chilli is pretty good, can pack that out with veg keeps for a few days and is pretty inexpensive.

training wise look online for body weight circuits, walk instead of bus etc when you can, also charity/thrift shops can be pretty good for training equipment nothing massive just like dumb bells or skippig ropes

hope that helps in any way
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    1 - you're going to have to learn to not be such a picky eater...having a tight budget and getting more nutrition and eating healthier is going to require this.

2 - learn to cook; if you can read you can cook

3 - convenience foods are NOT your friend...you get far less and pay far more for convenience...hence the importance of #2 above as well as #1.

4 - A gym is not necessary for weight loss...hell, exercise is not necessary for weight loss. All that is required for weight loss is energy consumption that is less than what is required for balance (maintenance).

5 - While exercise is not required for weight loss, it is essential to your overall health and well being...you can be "skinny" but have every issue a fat person has health wise due to lack of movement. Exercise doesn't have to be balls to the wall and you don't have to drone away for hours on end...you just have to move. Walking is great and that's how I got started...that along with body weight calisthenics. I started in the winter as well...I just bundled up and went out...if it was really nasty I found something to do indoors like my calisthenics or just dancing around or a You Tube workout or whatever...I just tried to move for 30 minutes pretty much every day. Eventually, actual fitness goals took over and started guiding my workouts.

6 - On a strict budget you are going to have some staple foods...here are mine.

- Beans; I make a big batch of pinto beans every Sunday night in the crock. They soak overnight Saturday and through the day Sunday and then I cook them while we sleep...I usually add some diced onion, garlic, a can of chopped tomatoes and S&P to taste. I've also been known to throw in whatever random vegetable we have in the fridge that maybe needs to get used up before it goes bad.

- Grains, Oats, Pasta, Rice, etc...these are staples of just about any tight budget diet (or otherwise) and there's absolutely nothing "unhealthy" about any of it. These items are calorie dense so a little goes a long way...great for a budget. These also provide for some nice slow burning energy and certain items here also have a good deal of fiber if you're having issues there.

- Potatoes...I probably have potatoes four nights out of the week at least. Skin on provides plenty of nutrients and potatoes can be cooked numerous ways. They're cheap and easy to prepare...they're also lower in calories per serving than the grains and rices noted above but pack a good starchy energy punch

- Meat and poultry...grocery stores regularly have sales on meat and poultry...stock up when they do and freeze it. We also do a lot of whole chickens, ground beef, tougher cuts of meat and pork (that require more cooking time but delicious when done right) due to they are much cheaper than boneless skinless chicken breast, already cut up steaks, etc. Again, nothing "unhealthy" about these things

- Veggies; stick to the basics. For fresh vegetables, stick to those vegetables that are hardier and won't go bad so quickly...cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots (and other roots), etc. Buy greens in smaller quantities...only those quantities for which you will use within a very short period of time as greens go bad quickly. Also look for sales in the frozen food section. I typically buy frozen peas, green beans, corn and mixed vegetables when they're on sale. I also stock up on frozen squash and frozen sweet potatoes when they're on sale.

- Fruits; keep it in season and keep it to the basics...I'm astounded by the number of people I come across and they're like, "it's so expensive to eat healthy...this pineapple cost a fortune." Again, stick to basics...pretty much apples and bananas in my house...grapes when we can get a good deal and berries in season. In the summer we can branch out from apples and do nectarines and peaches as they are cheaper in season and comparable to what we'd pay for apples

- eggs...lots of eggs

- full fat dairy...a little goes a long way...milk, cheese, yogurts, etc

- nuts...again, a few nuts go a long way and they are very nutrient dense.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on wanting to get control back! It is a tough first step to make!

Secondly, you CAN eat healthy and exercise on a tight budget.

Exercise:
    Research! Hop online and Google Body weight workouts.
    Hop on youtube, it is filled with HUNDREDS of great workout videos that you can do with little to know equipment. (Efit 30 and Befit are great channels!) When you do have some extra money, start investing in some workout dvd's. Maybe buy a new one every month(if that's doable for you!)

Go for walks/runs around your neighbourhood. Take advantage of playgrounds. Monkey Bars for pull ups. Rock wall for upper body strength. Use the slide or bench for incline push ups. Use swings for TRX style moves. Are you near a set of stairs anywhere? Your house or an outside a building? Run up and down the stairs for some Cardio!
    Food:
    Here is what was successful for me. Now I know everyone is different, but it's worth a try right?

Portion control, moderation and substitution. When your faced with eating something that is "not so healthy" just watch your portion size. Instead of a regular size plate of pasta or mac and cheese, etc. Take it down a notch and just use a small plate. Keep some heads of romaine lettuce, spinach, kate or whatever you like on hand to pair the food with a nice green salad. I also like to use veggies for "filler". For example, if I am making pasta, I will cut the pasta's portion size in half, and i fill the rest of the dish with steamed veggies. It bulks up the meal but not the scale. When it comes to substitution, try swapping some of your faves with a healthier alternative! For example, swap ice cream with some home made frozen yogurt. Mash half a banana with some yogurt toss in the freezer for 10-15 minutes and voila! A delicious frozen treat.

Take advantage of your local Farmer's Market. I can do all my grocery shopping at my Market for HALF of the money it would cost me at grocery store. That's including meats, produce, nuts, granola, condiments, etc. And a bonus, it's all fresh!

Good luck, girl! You can do this!
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Buy in bulk and freeze/preserve what you won't eat right away. I found this is the easiest way to eat properly on a budget especially since where I am from, produce and meat prices are sky high ($3 for a small green pepper.. not even kidding.)
  • MissKim78
    MissKim78 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Yep, going outside of your food comfort zone can be scary. BUT, you will find all sorts of delicious things that you thought were gross! sometimes you just have to find the right way to cook them! I typically don't like cauliflower, but cauliflower breadsticks are WONDERFUL. Zucchini can be sliced thin and baked into chips! Smoothies are great too. Some yogurt, fruit, ice, and sometimes milk can make a delicious breakfast! Onions can be cooked into almost anything and barely have a taste. Oh and mushrooms! Mushrooms can be made in to lots of wonderful things! Have you tried different kinds? My SO won't eat button mushrooms, but will eat himself sick on portobellas. Portobellas can be stuffed and made into tiny low carb pizza bites, and the large caps are a wonderful vessel to stuff crab cakes into. One of my personal favorites is snap peas stir fried in sauce. I eat them with my fingers cause i'm messy like that :D
    I got a little carried away there, but my point is that you should definitely step out of your comfort zone with food, there are so many wonderful options out there that limiting yourself is really cheating yourself out of all kinds of deliciousness!

Good Luck!

For me, onions are very strong and I can notice them in everything. Any kind of onion. And I absolutely despise the texture of mushrooms and I've tried a few diff kinds since my bf loves them. I would literally gag. I'm all for trying new things but if I force myself to eat things I don't like, I can't see myself sticking with it. But thank you for the advice!
  • babyblues4
    babyblues4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm in Canada (ontario) Not sure if you have Goodlife gyms in NS ... but here if you volunteer in their childminding room for 2hrs a week they give you a free gym membership :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Where do people find these farmer's markets where things are cheaper than the grocery store?! We went to one this weekend to compare, and everything we checked was more expensive yet than the organics at our local store.

We have a farm a few miles from our house that has a small market and you can often get better deals there than the grocery...but it's completely limited to whatever the season is and whatever they happen to be growing. I love it in Aug and Sept because I can get 6 ears of corn for a buck...we get our season green chile there as well...22 Lb bag for $20 plus a $5.00 roasting fee...if they would peel it for you I'd pay for that too.

During the late summer and early fall, you can get some pretty bangin' deals on most produce and that's when they have the greatest variety. Right now, lots of root vegetables, cabbage, onions, peas, garlic, etc. It's an actual farm though, not some trendy market place.
  • fat2skinny50
    fat2skinny50 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You don't need a gym membership nor do you need expensive equipment at home. Walk at a quicker pace then normal when you are going someplace, take the stairs, park in the back of the parking lot at work. Do jumping jacks and squates at home if you don't have a private office. As for health food, not really sure where you are ging with that - veggies and fruite, chicken all not too expensive
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    There's stuff I just can't eat too. Mushrooms are on my list too. Ug.

The consistent point everyone is making is, find what works for you. There's plenty of food that's not expensive that can fit into a healthy diet. Get the "health food" idea out of your head and just look for food food. Eat things you like and can afford and watch your macros.

I moved out of my parents house when I was making $16,000 a year. This was the mid 90s. Funny how motivational a girlfriend can be to get you out of your parents place. lol I would often have only $20 to eat on. I'd go to the store and not buy anything over a dollar. lol I'd do it better now than I did then, but you can do it. Look at labels and buy things that have some nutritional value. And, hey, if you end up with some canned things, that is fine. If it's the very best you can do, maybe give yourself some room on the sodium to make things fit the budget. Canned stuff does have more sodium. But, heck, Beef-a-roni isn't the WORST thing on earth to put in your body in moderation. Hell, my 18 year old practically lives on the stuff. Trick is figuring out how to combine things into an over-all diet that hits your calorie and macro goals.

I'm surprised at some of the things that have become go-to foods for my "healthy" diet. I have a lot of tacos, made with turkey. I like them, they give me some protein (I never seem to have enough) and it's one of the things I can put a little lettuce and tomato on and still enjoy. I have also found things I didn't think I could eat but developed a taste for. Grilled asparagus, it turns out, is kinda yummy. I'm not a big veggie person either. I always say "I don't do salad". But veggie soup works for me. Find what works for you.
  • MissKim78
    Options
    There's bedside manner and then there's rude. Telling me to stop crying over my jeans was rude in my opinion. Yes. I am new to this. Yes. I asked for advice so I could see what types of advice and ideas would work for MY lifestyle. I thought that was the point. I assume I'm not expected to take everyone's advice and apply it am I? I get that you are trying to help but I'm just letting you know that your method isn't working for me. I'm sure others find your comments and advice quite helpful....I just find them a bit abrasive. I didn't come on here for harsh words and less than constructive criticism. I came for friendly input, reasonable ideas and positive encouragement. I just signed up on this site today and will see how it works for me. Everyone is different and these things take time. I appreciate you wanting to try to help, but would respecfully ask that you don't. Thank you.
  • rosebud233
    rosebud233 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you have a Dollar Tree near where you live--but if you do you're in luck. Everything at Dollar Tree is, well, one dollar each! If you have a Dollar Tree that also has a frozen section, you can get lots of good bags of plain ,frozen peaches, blueberries, strawberries, veggies, single servings of frozen fish, chicken, etc. etc. Also they have boxes of plain rice, rice cakes, even some bags of gluten free/low sodium snacks, soy milk, etc. Some of the items are brand names--that you can also use coupons on!
  • MissKim78
    Options
    I'm in Canada (ontario) Not sure if you have Goodlife gyms in NS ... but here if you volunteer in their childminding room for 2hrs a week they give you a free gym membership :)

They do have Goodlife's here. ....but childcare is not my thing. Lol I don't have kids and am quite uncomfortable around them. Lol
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

We are surrounded with farmer's markets and farm stands all selling for the most part well under the price of the grocery store. Most but not all are organic as well. Do a search for your area. There are several apps available that will help find them using your postal code or zip code. They usually don't do a lot of advertising so find them via word of mouth or even accidentally when out and about. I found an amazing organic farm this past summer with excellent produce at rock bottom prices. They even have a basket program you can sign up for. It just takes a bit of looking.
  • thegingerpirate
    thegingerpirate Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yep, going outside of your food comfort zone can be scary. BUT, you will find all sorts of delicious things that you thought were gross! sometimes you just have to find the right way to cook them! I typically don't like cauliflower, but cauliflower breadsticks are WONDERFUL. Zucchini can be sliced thin and baked into chips! Smoothies are great too. Some yogurt, fruit, ice, and sometimes milk can make a delicious breakfast! Onions can be cooked into almost anything and barely have a taste. Oh and mushrooms! Mushrooms can be made in to lots of wonderful things! Have you tried different kinds? My SO won't eat button mushrooms, but will eat himself sick on portobellas. Portobellas can be stuffed and made into tiny low carb pizza bites, and the large caps are a wonderful vessel to stuff crab cakes into. One of my personal favorites is snap peas stir fried in sauce. I eat them with my fingers cause i'm messy like that :D
    I got a little carried away there, but my point is that you should definitely step out of your comfort zone with food, there are so many wonderful options out there that limiting yourself is really cheating yourself out of all kinds of deliciousness!

Good Luck!
    For me, onions are very strong and I can notice them in everything. Any kind of onion. And I absolutely despise the texture of mushrooms and I've tried a few diff kinds since my bf loves them. I would literally gag. I'm all for trying new things but if I force myself to eat things I don't like, I can't see myself sticking with it. But thank you for the advice!

That's all fine! I was just throwing out ideas. The point I was trying to make was that lots of things can be surprisingly yummy :) and having a variety of options makes it easier to stick to a healthy diet. Another option is to find out what healthy things you like are on sale and poke around pinterest for ideas of what to do with those things. You can find a way to do it if you want it bad enough!
  • Kailel
    Kailel Posts: 61 Member
    Options

No Wegmans, I am in NS, Canada.

I live in NS, and get my bulk frozen veggies from WalMart (Great Value). They're cheaper than the store brands at Superstore and Sobey's, but they've got like lima beans as filler so I don't find them as good. Chicken breasts you can get frozen boneless and skinless at an M&M Meat Shop $20 for over 1kg of them... again, I tried the Great Value because it was a 2kg box but it had a bunch of gross grisly bits when the M&M stuff was 100% prime grade. I fry them up in a pan with just some Mrs. Dash and Summer Savory (Or Newfoundland Savory if you can get it) with a big bowl of frozen veggies and I went to Superstore and bought a giant zipper bag of bismati rice that's lasting forever.

I'm lazy as hell too, I got laid off due to injury so since it hurts to move I try not to. :/ I find it hard to get on the WiiFit because it's so condescending, but I highly recommend doing what the other poster said and playing Dance Dance Revolution on the PS2. You can get one at your local EB Games/GameStop, or if you're in Halifax, The Last Game Store in Clayton Park has PS2s... not so much on dancepads though. If you're in Halifax, I have two dancepads as well as a bunch of the games for PS2 and I could part with one!