Getting Sick

Options
So I feel this cold coming on....headache, drainage, sore throat. Any remedies to get me well. I'm taking it easy today, still eating right but no exercise. I hope to be back in full swing tomorrow. I'm finally feeling like this whole counting calories and exercising is becoming second nature. I don't want to fall in the rut again.

Replies

• unbalanced1
    unbalanced1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Zycam. It will stop my symptoms from getting worse. Make sure you don't stop taking it too early. I like the spray in your mouth kind. It leaves a metalic taste in your mouth, but it works for me.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Emergen-C packets, mix with water, tea or juice and it zaps the cold right away. Can be purchased at grocery store in nature section. I like the lemon-lime, tastes yummy.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    FWIW, it takes about 3 days to start getting over a cold if you don't do anything and 72 hours if you treat it. And anywhere from seven to 10 days to completely get over a full-blown cold.

Get plenty of rest and fluids and ramp back up slowly once you start to feeling better.

During the winter, I take a large dose of Vitamin D3 per day (the only pill vitamin I take) -- 10000 IUs. Since I starting doing this three years ago, I've cut my frequency of colds way down, and what few I get tend to be pretty mild. Once sand volleyball season hits and I start getting a reasonable amount of sun, I'll cut out the D3 until fall. One person does not a medical study make, but something to think about.

Hope ya feel better soon!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    If it's just a cold you can workout, maybe a lighter workout. I have a cold and did a slow 3 mile jog
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    There is no cure for the common cold, you can only address the symptoms and help your immune system. Rest, fluids, maybe a vitamin, and more rest help your immune system fight the virus. Over the counter cold "remedies" will suppress the symptoms and make you feel better. The daytime versions usually do the trick for me, just don't take them before bed or you may have trouble sleeping.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Zycam or Cold-Eeze have helped me a lot. The last two times it's happened to me I took those for 3 days and it was gone. And Mucinex when it reaches my chest.