The Fast Food Magnetic Pull

Options
2»

Replies

• feliscatus84
    feliscatus84 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm really bad too. I grew up on it and it takes a lot of effort for me to say no as well. But once you actually do you feel empowered. Like I am NOT going to let that temptation of burgers and fries get me anymore! My health is more important! But the convenience factor is what gets me. It's so easy to pick up after work or when you're out n about. That's why planning is the key to success like having healthy snacks available at all times. Also if you're craving burgers or something you can always make your own version at home. I really enjoy chicken melts so I made my own version and it's so good. It helps me stay on track without going insane lol.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Congrats for resisting! it's really hard to change some of those habits, but despite huge temptation you still managed it. Well done.
  • MrsBrosco
    Options
    WOW. I just went to the doctor's office on my lunch break for an appointment and it took every single little ounce of self control I could muster up to not stop at ANY fast food chains to get lunch. I am an addict. Bad. Bad bad addict. I'm addicted to food in general but fast food is my kryptonite. I feel ashamed that it took THAT MUCH fighting with myself to make it back to the office without stopping. Today is the FIRST DAY that I have decided to try to get back on track and to have that little of willpower on day 1 just really bothers me.

Any other fast food addicts out there that have to phystically fight themselves to not pull through the drive thru? This has been an eye opener for me, that's for sure.
    If you knew the food place had cockroaches, would you still fill your "addiction" and eat there? Probably not. It's not an "addiction" it's a behavioral response to how fast food tastes. Like any other habit, you can change it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I don't agree with this. I have quit smoking after 9 years and the cravings for nicotine do not compare to the draw that fast food has to me. I think that you can 100% be addicted to fast food/sugar/carbs, whatever your poison may be.
  • MrsBrosco
    Options
    Congrats for resisting! it's really hard to change some of those habits, but despite huge temptation you still managed it. Well done.

I loved this, thank you!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    WOW. I just went to the doctor's office on my lunch break for an appointment and it took every single little ounce of self control I could muster up to not stop at ANY fast food chains to get lunch. I am an addict. Bad. Bad bad addict. I'm addicted to food in general but fast food is my kryptonite. I feel ashamed that it took THAT MUCH fighting with myself to make it back to the office without stopping. Today is the FIRST DAY that I have decided to try to get back on track and to have that little of willpower on day 1 just really bothers me.

Any other fast food addicts out there that have to phystically fight themselves to not pull through the drive thru? This has been an eye opener for me, that's for sure.
    If you knew the food place had cockroaches, would you still fill your "addiction" and eat there? Probably not. It's not an "addiction" it's a behavioral response to how fast food tastes. Like any other habit, you can change it.

IDEA Fitness member

I don't agree with this. I have quit smoking after 9 years and the cravings for nicotine do not compare to the draw that fast food has to me. I think that you can 100% be addicted to fast food/sugar/carbs, whatever your poison may be.
    You don't have to agree with it. I just asked a question. If you knew the fast food might be tainted, would you still go buy and eat it? Because true addicts will take big risks to fulfill their addictions.
    A heroin addict will use a dirty needle. A cocaine addict will sniff coke off a dirty floor. Hell even a person who's need a cigarette will smoke a used butt.
    Fast food is palatable no doubt. If that's been your go to food for a long time, then having to change that habit, it will feel hard. But unlike drug or alcohol addiction, you'd make it fine on other foods. You're body won't really know the difference. It's more a mental block than a physical one.

IDEA Fitness member
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Fast food is palatable no doubt. If that's been your go to food for a long time, then having to change that habit, it will feel hard. But unlike drug or alcohol addiction, you'd make it fine on other foods. You're body won't really know the difference. It's more a mental block than a physical one.

I kinda agree with your point.... I think. Maybe. Pretty much. But that last bit - isn't psychological addiction a "real" thing? Like that actor dude who was the assistant in the Big Lobowski. They say he was clean all those years, so it seems to me the physical addiction was long gone. But something brought him back to the drugs. Happens to alcoholics and smokers too.

Don't know. I don't have a lot of experience (fortunately) with addiction.
  • gkauf744
    gkauf744 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I recently quit smoking and I got down on myself for having strong cravings. But I had an "ah ha" moment in which I realized that cravings are natural. You are going to have cravings, but what matters is that I don't smoke, or that in your case, you did not stop at a drive thru. That's what matters. Don't get down on yourself for craving. Celebrate that you resisted. It will get better. What they tell you at the quitline is to make a "quit kit" and have it on hand. So in this case, that would be healthy snacks, maybe water, some good music, things to distract yourself. You got this!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options

I kinda agree with your point.... I think. Maybe. Pretty much. But that last bit - isn't psychological addiction a "real" thing? Like that actor dude who was the assistant in the Big Lobowski. They say he was clean all those years, so it seems to me the physical addiction was long gone. But something brought him back to the drugs. Happens to alcoholics and smokers too.

Don't know. I don't have a lot of experience (fortunately) with addiction.
    You really can't give an alcoholic alcohol in moderation. Same with a cocaine or heroin addict. But it's entirely possible for someone to moderate some fast food into their diet and still have weight loss and health.
    Is psychological addiction real? I think so, but I think people subjectively use the term "addiction" wrong when it comes to food. As I mentioned food that palatable and that one enjoys that now gets "taken away" from someone who's had a habit of eating it for awhile is going to make it seem like they can't do it. Not many people need an intervention because they are a little overweight, somewhat healthy and eating fast food. This is why I don't think it's an addiction.

IDEA Fitness member
  • SarahMay272727
    SarahMay272727 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Dominos is my weakness - it's just so *easy* to order online, especially if I'm tired or feeling low/lazy... and then I'm suddenly eating 600, 800, 1000+ calories that I don't want or need.

Well done for resisting :)

All things in moderation - a bit of fast food as a treat is ok every now and then, the trick is stopping it being every nownownownownow!
  • kittykat1994
    kittykat1994 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Dominos is also my weakness. If I don't have it for ages, then I don't want it. If I order for a treat, chances are I'll order a further few times that month. It's something that I should probably avoid as I can't seem to just have it once!
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Probably once a month, maybe every 6 weeks I go hog wild and eat like 1100 calories worth of Taco Bell (the only fast food I really like). Other than that I don't really eat fast food, just because I like to make my own food. But I have a soft spot in my heart for Taco Bell. It works for me!
  • L4gym
    L4gym Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Once you start to cook healthy and eat at home more you will prefer that.
  • MrsCurvyFab
    MrsCurvyFab Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was also an addict of fast food. When I was single and working two jobs I use to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the drive thru menu. ..and also a french fry snack for the ride from the restaurant to the house.. and then I wouldnt order a salad, or egg white whatever! The same with soda I use to drink a 2 liter a day... now I dont have a taste for it anymore, switched to tea, then unsweet tea, and now just water.

What I learned to do was to take my favorite fast food items and cook them at home. a burger, chili, salads, hot dogs. whatever. For me I love trying new recipes.

But congrats on your willpower! It definately takes times! keep going.

I edited my post to add this!!! I still now everyday when I drive to work think about all the foods in the restaurant i use to order if I pass by them.. .the want never goes away. Today even I thought about where I could pick up lunch, even though i brought my lunch today! No worry though.. Im eating my home lunch now. to a point its almost laughable.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    ...I think people subjectively use the term "addiction" wrong when it comes to food. As I mentioned food that palatable and that one enjoys that now gets "taken away" from someone who's had a habit of eating it for awhile is going to make it seem like they can't do it. Not many people need an intervention because they are a little overweight, somewhat healthy and eating fast food. This is why I don't think it's an addiction.

Yeah. I agree with what you're saying. I'd say it's more a matter of common colloquial use than using the term wrong. But you make a good point. Calling it an "addiction" says "I'm powerless to do anything about it". Meh. Probably not.