Early morning working out - Need motivation

Options
jarbatz
jarbatz Posts: 29 Member
Early morning, as in 5 AM, is the only time I can squeeze in working out and I just cannot get myself to bed early enough to get up that early. Before I had kids, I had no problems doing this, but now that I've got 2 young ones, it seems impossible.

If you workout early, what time do you get to bed and how do you get yourself up in the morning?

Are there any accountability groups on here for this?

Replies

• javonjay76
    javonjay76 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure there is an accountability thread but I know how you feel!

5AM is a beast, I say go to bed with your workout clothes on. Have your favortie song playing on your phone as a ringtone, so you can wake up dancing. Then have a series of songs playing that will get you in the mood to work out.

This is key>>>>>>Get in the bed by 10:30p, so you can have 8 hours of sleep so waking up at 5AM is not soooo hard. Not getting enough sleep will not help you if you're trying to get up early.

Hope that helps!
  • cpusmc
    cpusmc Posts: 122
    Options
    Lights out by 10pm, alarm at 445am, in gym by 5, 5 days/week. First couple of weeks are the worst, after that your body should adjust. With little ones its tough, my youngest is now 6 so the early years are hard, even for dad. Now with all in school and in bed by 9, it makes it easier. Biggest thing is try your best to be disciplined about getting to bed and dont miss those first couple of weeks of workouts. My motivation is the same as yours, its the only time of day I can carve out to exercise and not take time away from the family. I use a normal alarm clock to wake me but find after a month or so of consistent early workouts I am awake before the alarm goes off. I have no idea re accountability groups for this....

Good luck...
  • MrsBenTarr
    MrsBenTarr Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am an early morning workout person, too! I get up at 4 am on weekday mornings and either run on the treadmill or do T25. I am busy busy, and there are no excuses at 4 am!

I have all my clothes, water, etc., ready the night before so I don't have to dawdle. I make sure I am in bed by 8:30 when possible. I talk myself out of pushing the snooze button. It was hard at first, but now I don't hesitate to jump out of bed.

Tell yourself that you're worth it!
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:30 every morning to workout before I go to work, and it is a struggle every single morning! What gets me up is remembering how good it feels to be done my workout! I try to set my workout clothes out the night before so that is one less thing that I have to think about! I have hit snooze a few times and told myself that I would workout when I get home....never happens...so I have learned that if I am going to workout, it has to be in the early morning! Keep up the good work and remember you aren't alone at that ungodly hour! Lol
  • jarbatz
    Options
    I know I just need to get through the first few times. I know this in my mind. I need to keep hearing it from you all. Keep it coming.

I just need to make my health a priority the way I do the other things in my life. And I can make up the time away from my husband and the house work on the weekends, right?
  • luhman
    luhman Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    getting a trainer helps with increasing social motivation to get out of bed and added prospect of loss of monetary investment.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i wake up at about 445am to be at the gym at 530am.

change your alarm ringtone to a motivating song. i'm a fan of "eye of the tiger." place it on a far away night table or dresser so you have to get up to turn it off.

set up the coffee pot the nght before so that all you have to do it hit a button and a nice cup of coffee is ready in two minutes. i drink a cup of coffee while i'm getting ready for the gym.

lay out your clothes and gym bag and everything the night before. i can't sleep in my gym clothes, but i know some people do.

make it really hard for you to miss the work out. all the things you generally do in the morning, do the night before, like pack lunches and prepare breakfast for the kids or whatever. things like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, oatmeal, and hard boiled eggs can be made ahead of time.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I have a 40 minute commute to work. A gym in my workplace. It is a perk and free. Free is my motivation. M-F I get up at 2:00 a.m. and am out the door by 3 in the gym by 3:45. Done by 5:00 am. Showered and at my desk by 6.
    I am an old lady though and probably could not do it with young children.
  • jarbatz
    Options
    getting a trainer helps with increasing social motivation to get out of bed and added prospect of loss of monetary investment.

I agree! I have used a trainer twice for this reason. Unfortunately, we decided buying a treadmill was a better investment this time around due to our time constraints of working FT with 2 little ones. I am sort of regretting that decision. I would like to hire someone just to come to my house and rip the blankets off of me at 5 AM.
  • zilfig64
    zilfig64 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Same boat as you - If I do not workout early I don't have time. Up at 4:40 M-F - at the gym when it opens at 5. That way I am home before the kidos wake-up. Try to be in bed by 10, although it doesn't always work out.
    Big key #1 - keep at it - the first few weeks are tough, but after that, your body adjusts. After 8 months, I can't even make myself sleep in past 6:30 on weekends, and most weekdays I wake up before my alarm goes off.
    Key #2 - good music - gets me going fast - have my IPod on as soon as I get dressed. Great song to start your day...Feeling Alive by Shaggy.

Keep it up, you can do it!
  • bamadwl
    bamadwl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My normal routine is in bed no later than 10 pm. Wake at 4:00 am to be at the gym between 4:30 ~ 4:45 am 5 days a week. I lift weights M-W-F & do cardio T-T. My motivation is to be in the best shape I can be for myself, my wife & my 3 sons. I just started to add some friends on MFP and they help motivate me also. Just set it up like an appointment. Don't say "I need to work out today", instead say "It's time to work out, let me get after it".
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm a night owl so getting up can be a challenge but my body clock automatically wakes me up quite early so I don't have a massive struggle in the mornings or anything.

I find putting on some upbeat music, even my workout playlist, helps get me motivated and get my *kitten* into my workout gear to hit the gym/swimming pool/elliptical.
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I often have to get up at 5AM to fit exercise into my day. What helps the most is this: SLEEP. Setting out a gym outfit with my water bottle, and eating something little as soon as my eyes pop open also helps. But, mostly, SLEEEEEEEP.
  • DterMined2012
    DterMined2012 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:30 every morning to workout before I go to work, and it is a struggle every single morning! What gets me up is remembering how good it feels to be done my workout! I try to set my workout clothes out the night before so that is one less thing that I have to think about! I have hit snooze a few times and told myself that I would workout when I get home....never happens...so I have learned that if I am going to workout, it has to be in the early morning! Keep up the good work and remember you aren't alone at that ungodly hour! Lol
    there is NO better feeling than when you have completed your work out!!
  • DterMined2012
    Options
    My normal routine is in bed no later than 10 pm. Wake at 4:00 am to be at the gym between 4:30 ~ 4:45 am 5 days a week. I lift weights M-W-F & do cardio T-T. My motivation is to be in the best shape I can be for myself, my wife & my 3 sons. I just started to add some friends on MFP and they help motivate me also. Just set it up like an appointment. Don't say "I need to work out today", instead say "It's time to work out, let me get after it".
    You are awesome!!! What a loss!!! What an inspiration!!!
  • DterMined2012
    Options
    I have a 40 minute commute to work. A gym in my workplace. It is a perk and free. Free is my motivation. M-F I get up at 2:00 a.m. and am out the door by 3 in the gym by 3:45. Done by 5:00 am. Showered and at my desk by 6.
    I am an old lady though and probably could not do it with young children.
    YOU ROCK SISTER!!!!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I get up at 545 AM have a cup of coffee slice of toast with PB. Then downstairs where I do a DVD and 20-30 min on my treadmill 6xweekly. If I don't get it over with in the AM it won't get done. I don't like exercising but, understand it brings me balance. Also, cheaper then a shrink! LOL:frown:
  • enipla
    enipla Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am most often at work by 5-5:15am. I don't sleep very well so sometimes I hop onto my spin bike around 330am and ride for about an hour. I wait until after work to my weights or do another cardio session.
  • jeeplovin
    jeeplovin Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Lights out by 10pm, alarm at 445am, in gym by 5, 5 days/week. First couple of weeks are the worst, after that your body should adjust. With little ones its tough, my youngest is now 6 so the early years are hard, even for dad. Now with all in school and in bed by 9, it makes it easier. Biggest thing is try your best to be disciplined about getting to bed and dont miss those first couple of weeks of workouts. My motivation is the same as yours, its the only time of day I can carve out to exercise and not take time away from the family. I use a normal alarm clock to wake me but find after a month or so of consistent early workouts I am awake before the alarm goes off. I have no idea re accountability groups for this....

Good luck...

This.......Im on my fourth week of getting up at 4:45, 5 days a week, to work out. Its tuff, but i feel so much better getting it done at the beginning of my day.
  • jaybernal
    Options
    I love all the post it gives me motivation, I been trying to wake up early and workout but im so sleepy