smokers that are quitting or have quit for motivation

Options
I have been struggling giving up smoking and my husband has been very supportive but I can't help be in a negative mind frame about it nor can I stick with my diet and healthy living like I've wanted. Please add me if you have any advice to help me!!

Replies

• nenshali
    nenshali Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hey :)

I wrote a few tips for general diet/fitness/health advice here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1198789-how-to-stay-motivated-while-being-depressed-after-a-relapse?page=1#posts-18769318

And while I did not quit smoking entirely yet, I reduced (from 100 cigarettes week to ~15 a week). I'm just a 'social smoker' now.
    If you are actually addicted to nicotine, I heard that it takes 3 days to endure the nicotine withdrawal. But I cannot give any more advice here, as I am not addicted to the nicotine, I just like smoking itself a lot. I have no problem going without a cigarette for a week or so.

What helped me; Figuring out which moments make me want to smoke.
    I used to starve myself and smoke to ignore my hunger. I quit smoking at home totally.
    I used to smoke when I was stressed out. Now I do yoga and try to actively relax my body.

Besides this, I heard that you should try to do some sports every time you crave a cigarette, be it some crunches or something like that, because by time, your brain interpretes this craving that you had for a cigarette for a craving for sports, so it'll help you being active.

And well, to the healthy living itself, just look into that thread, I don't want to repost it. But maybe it's helpful for you. Good luck!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I'm not much help. I stopped smoking because I'm too poor. Here's my best motivational saying:
    tumblr_mttbvrPq0K1sj3oxho1_500.jpg
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    For me, being married to someone who wanted to quit was enough. But that was sort of like an ultimatum. But it certainly motivated me!

Another resource, and this is a genuinely good one, is the book Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking. It wasn't great for me, because I knew my smoking days were over, but it is pretty convincing and brings up some really excellent, really common sense arguments against smoking.

Best of luck! If nothing else, at least cut back to only a few per day and that will be healthier than whatever you're doing now!
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking was three of the most difficult, cold turkey days of my life. It was also only three days!

It is also the most important thing you can do for your health. Weight loss, exercise? They pale in comparison to the benefits you get from kicking tobacco to the curb! I'm not telling you anything you don't know, but if you're serious about quitting, and want a friend who can help you through it, I'd be happy to help. It's not an exaggeration at all to say that you won't believe how much better your life gets once you're done with it!
  • Beautifulreflections
    Options
    I'm here. Feel free to add me. I'm in the "I need to quit" phase. I've cut down by about half.

Quitting's hard. You feel a lot of people pass judgment when you slip. Just gotta pick a date and do it. I quit for a long time and started again about a year ago.

It was easy that time. Not sure why its so hard now...
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options
    I'm not sure I can help, but I can relate big time. Quitting chewing tobacco was the hardest thing ever. I am happy I did now, however.. and a big however.. I used Nicorette to help me stop. I am now addicted to the damn Nicorette spray. I am happy that I no longer take on the chemicals of chew, but Nicotine, still no good. But I did find it really helped me quit, just didn't intend that I would like the spray more than chew.. sorry, I guess I am no help what so ever...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    one of the hardest thing i've ever done is quit smoking. it's tough. i realized about 5 years ago that i needed to quit when i started to need a smoke on my way to work.

there are a lot of methods to quit smoking. ween yourself off, use patches or gum. pick a date a couple of weeks in the future to really quit and announce it to everyone. whatever.

you'll fail. it'll suck. but just like having one bad day of eating doesn't make you fat again, one day of smoking won't make you a smoker again.

i smoke rarely now, like a cigarette once every two months. and they generally make me sick that i don't even want a second one.

learn to recognize your triggers. one for me was drinking with friends. fortunatly i don't have a lot of friends that smoke. but if i'm out with people, i'll say a bunch of times to everyone "man i'm glad i quit smoking." that way, if i bum a cigarette off of someone, i'll feel really guilty and not do it.

ETA, that while i decided to quit 5 years ago, i had several relapses. it's not until about a year and a half ago when i started to really take fitness seriously that i finally quit.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking about a year and a half ago (wow time flies). I just came home from work and told my husband I was done smoking. The first 3 days were the worst and the rest of the week wasn't much better. I found that my brain was foggy, I was tired and grumpy. But it got better, really quick.

I found that I needed to replace my smoke time with something else. If you are striving for a healthy lifestyle, go for a walk instead of a smoke. That is really what kept me in check for the first little while.

And I guess the last is to remember that this is hard on your body, very hard on it. So treat yourself kindly for a while there is a lot going on physically and emotionally.
  • carolsteele45
    carolsteele45 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have just quit after smoking for 50 years - my last one was the beginning of November. I found after many attempts, the only way for me was to seek medical help to quit, so my doctor prescribed Champix for me and with the help of my local anti-smoking clinic, I have finally stopped. Unfortunately this did lead to an increase in food intake - and is the reason why I am on here now. As quitting smoking is by far the most difficult of the two, I decided to concentrate on that as I knew that I could lose weight later and I didn't want to be battling with two things at the same time.
    Good luck
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am 9 days away from being 3 years traditional cigarette free. I stopped with the ecig and was not planning on stopping smoking actually, I just loved it to much, but was in the beginning stages of emphysema and it scared the crap out of me, so I ran to the mall and picked up one of those kits

Like I said, I was not planning on stopping all together, but then one day I realized I had not hit my ecig in about 2 months.

If you want to go that route, it does take about 3 days to get used to it because of all the other addictive additives in traditional cigarettes that keep us loyal to our brand that are not in the vapor. There is only nicotine in them. So once you get past the first three days, its smooth sailing.

I smoked for 27 years and tried hundreds of times. I used the patch, the gum, cold turkey....nothing worked until I got the ecig. I higly recommend them for anyone that smokes, simply because it is cheaper than smoking and they do not stink.

Good luck, you can do this. If you decide that cold turkey is not going to work for you, I recommend the vapor ones they have out now, they are the most like real smoking.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking was three of the most difficult, cold turkey days of my life. It was also only three days!

It is also the most important thing you can do for your health. Weight loss, exercise? They pale in comparison to the benefits you get from kicking tobacco to the curb! I'm not telling you anything you don't know, but if you're serious about quitting, and want a friend who can help you through it, I'd be happy to help. It's not an exaggeration at all to say that you won't believe how much better your life gets once you're done with it!

For me too! Days One and Two were g-d awful. Day Three started out a little better but got progressively worse. By Day Four I knew I could probably do it, this whole non-smoker thing, and then I was off. It's been 2 years.

Honestly OP, focus on one thing at a time. Forcing yourself to quit smoking, eat healthy AND add exercise all at the same time is not going to work the way you'd like for *any* of the three things.
  • maggieobc
    maggieobc Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I want to second the recommendation of Allan Carr's Easyway book. You can get it for really cheap used on amazon. This helped me quit after two previous failed attempts and I've been without tobacco for over two years. I've been in all the situations where I'd formerly have been smoking without feeling tempted. I know two other people who were much heavier smokers than me who quit with this book and have stayed quit. Good luck!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I want to second the recommendation of Allan Carr's Easyway book. You can get it for really cheap used on amazon. This helped me quit after two previous failed attempts and I've been without tobacco for over two years. I've been in all the situations where I'd formerly have been smoking without feeling tempted. I know two other people who were much heavier smokers than me who quit with this book and have stayed quit. Good luck!

the Carr book is seriously like what a lot of people have already posted. It basically describes the unbelievable benefits of not smoking, which don't seem obvious while you're a smoker, but do after you quit. I had cut down so much by the time I quit that I didn't feel a lot of the benefits, but I will say that I no longer get dizzy when I bend or squat down and then stand back up quickly.
  • CMoeDee
    CMoeDee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I quit almost two years ago now. I quit cold turkey from about a pack every other day, with two relapses. I was a mess for a week, and I would be again for a few days after I slipped up. The last time, I could really smell the effect it had on my clothes and bedding and everything I touched and I just lost the desire entirely. It was nice seeing the little bump in my checking account, too. :) You can make it through this! Feel free to add me if you want.
  • sad_kitty
    sad_kitty Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I had been a smoker for 20 yrs (ack!), tried the patch, gum, Champix, Zyban, inhalers, cold turkey, hypnosis, Alan Carr....despite these things being worth exploring and trying as they will work for some folks, they did not work for me. I finally got myself an e cig about a year ago and have not had a cigarette since. I am still weaning myself off the nicotine, and have done a pretty good job of hitting my half way point. I started noticing health benefits within 2 months of stopping tobacco. Whatever you decide to do, just keep trying!
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I started smoking at 13 yrs old and quit at 38 (almost 39). Nov 8th, 2013, I smoked the last regular cigarette, switched to e-cigs and smoked the last of those Dec 8th, 2013. I agree with all of those who said the first three days was the worst. After that, it was one of the easiest things I've ever done...surprisingly enough.

I don't even crave them now, rarely even think about it and didn't even have any trouble being around a smoker for the holidays.

ETA: I did gain weight, though so watch that snacking as a substitute! I went up 25 lbs in under three months... and am now working on getting rid of that plus some.
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 12 years, had to have two on the way to work, two at break, 4 at lunch, 2 at second break, and two on the way home. Then at least another 4 during the evening, and DEF after eating dinner. I wanted to quit, I would look at my friends on break, say, look, they are standing there, not smoking, I can do that. So, I started with cutting out on break. Only lunch. Then I cut the drive to work, boy was that hard! Then I cut to two at lunch, and only one on the way home. Then only one after dinner. Then cut the one on the way home, then, no smoking at home, including weekends. Then I stopped all together. It's been 11 years now. I smell it now, I cringe and say thank goodness I quit!! You can do it. You can. Just cut it back. Trust me, you can. Good luck.
  • mownt
    mownt Posts: 9
    Options
    After 20+ years of smoking I quit on June 11, 2012. I went cold turkey and out of the 100+ times I tried to quit this time it was easy. The reason it was easy is this was the first time I really WANTED to quit.

For me the first two weeks were extremely difficult, I was in a bad mood all the time, you could have told me I won the lottery and I'd would have gotten pissed about it. Luckily I have a very understanding and supportive wife.

I found it helpful to write a little blog about how I was feeling and the things that would go through my head. This blog was for me and me alone. I wrote it so if I ever thought about smoking again I could read it and remember what it was like to quit.

Good luck!
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I still remember the day I quit for good....10/10/2009. Yes, I had tried a million times and many ways before. I guess for me it was that my health was on a steady downward slope, I ate too much, drank too much and smoked too much...it all sucked! I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol and I could barely walk to the end of my driveway without being exhausted. I think looking back on it, that was really my "rock bottom". I picked the day and decided that was it. I knew that for me smoking and drinking went hand in hand so I had to stop both at the same time. At 4am on 10/10/09 my husband was carted off to the hospital via ambulance, was in a coma for 3 weeks, almost died of sepsis in the process.....the withdrawal period from cigs and booze were the least of my problems. There was no smoking allowed anywhere on the hospital property and they certainly didn't sell alcohol in the cafeteria. I had no choice. I don't wish any of that on anyone to help with quitting but it really helped me to realize we were a couple of very unhealthy sad sacks. Fast forward to today...I still have not drank or smoked. Our diets have turned to clean nutritional foods, we have both lost weight. I still have about 50 more to lose but I am so much closer to excellent health. My blood work is perfect, hubby still has some challenges but for the most part we are doing great. Why do I not back slide? I lost my only brother at age 56 to a massive sudden heart attack on 4/17/2011. Appreciate the fact that your health is in a delicate balance each and every day. Whatever the vice, understand what it is doing to your ongoing health, when you are ready and ONLY when you are ready will it be possible for you to make the necessary changes using whatever method works for you. The main thing is don't give up trying!!
  • barryerwin1
    Options
    I quit smoking 5 months ago! After 28 years! Its a difficult addiction! Add me and we can do this together!!!