ZOMG! Dr. Oz

Okay first off don't judge me. I normally don't watch this show but i was intrigued by todays topic since all my friends eat up everything this man says.

So anyways today he is talking about diets and the last segment was on this lady who was eating 1000-1200 calories a day and not losing weight. He basically told her she was stuck because she's not feeding her body enough. And gave a comparison between a "normal diet" where you eat more and lose more from fat and conserve muscle, and an extreme diet where you lose small amounts of fat and muscle at the same time but at a slower rate.

Now please don't jump down my throat. I'm not bashing the show, and i'm not bashing the people that eat 1000-1200 calories a day. I am simply shining a light on some information that is coming from a popular source, in hopes that it might help people that are confused as to how much they should eat if they feel like a low calorie diet isn't working anymore or wont work for them to begin with.

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    I'm actually surprised he said that. People here (myself included) frown at Dr. Oz because he has a track record of suggesting stupid things like raspberry ketones. The fact that he suggested eating more than a super low calorie diet to help lose weight is a good thing! It's a rule that many people here follow.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Okay first off don't judge me. I normally don't watch this show but i was intrigued by todays topic since all my friends eat up everything this man says.

So anyways today he is talking about diets and the last segment was on this lady who was eating 1000-1200 calories a day and not losing weight. He basically told her she was stuck because she's not feeding her body enough. And gave a comparison between a "normal diet" where you eat more and lose more from fat and conserve muscle, and an extreme diet where you lose small amounts of fat and muscle at the same time but at a slower rate.

Now please don't jump down my throat. I'm not bashing the show, and i'm not bashing the people that eat 1000-1200 calories a day. I am simply shining light on some information that is coming from a popular source, in hopes that it might help people that are confused as to how much they should eat if they feel like a low calorie diet isn't working anymore or wont work for them to begin with.

That's actually a pretty decent statement by him. I am surprised he didn't try to sell her some magic pill.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Well, deep down he's a really good doctor. He just sold out.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Truth is truth no matter the teller.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    I like Dr. Oz, I think when he first started out he wanted to actually help people. But like tyrsnbdr said, he sold out. No one wants to hear that they need to eat more greens, consume reasonable calories for your body and move more. It's so much easier to say "hey this pill will magically shrink all your fat away" rather than good ole hard work. That's why the gastric bypass and diet pills are so popular
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    I think the man has good intentions and might genuinely want to help people, but it's better for his wallet if he throws out some stupid garnica cambogia crap now and then.
  • amdarosa619
    amdarosa619 Posts: 98 Member
    It's a shame that people continue to believe everything he says without considering that he gets paid to advertise particular books, pills, programs, etc.

I think the show started for the right reasons...unfortunately...money talks.
  • I like Dr. Oz, I think when he first started out he wanted to actually help people. But like tyrsnbdr said, he sold out. No one wants to hear that they need to eat more greens, consume reasonable calories for your body and move more. It's so much easier to say "hey this pill will magically shrink all your fat away" rather than good ole hard work. That's why the gastric bypass and diet pills are so popular

very true
  • 1200 is the absolute lowest anyone should go unless on a doctor's orders.

I have a hard time reaching 1200 calories per day and I am most certainly overweight because of it. Eating less than that can disrupt ones metabolism and put a body into "starvation mode" where it begins to hoard calories as fat because it's not sure when it might get nourishment again. There is a lot of information about this online on more reputable sites (not Dr. Oz).

People on diets lower than 1200kcal usually do so for very specific reasons and with the guidance of a doctor and nutritionist.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member

I have a hard time reaching 1200 calories per day and I am most certainly overweight because of it. Eating less than that can disrupt ones metabolism and put a body into "starvation mode" where it begins to hoard calories as fat because it's not sure when it might get nourishment again. There is a lot of information about this online on more reputable sites (not Dr. Oz).

Any reputable source will tell you starvation mode is a myth....
  • 1200 is the absolute lowest anyone should go unless on a doctor's orders.

People on diets lower than 1200kcal usually do so for very specific reasons and with the guidance of a doctor and nutritionist.

I know that there are way more credible/reputable resources out there for people to get their information from. But i thought it would be helpful for the people that like his show and tend to hang on his every word to hear him saying something a little more sensible.
    Once again i'll state i'm not bashing people who eat 1200 calories a day or people who like the show.
  • aufond
    aufond Posts: 18 Member
    I rarely get to watch his show, but most of what I see on Dr. Oz I like, I think he's authentically trying to do good for the public. I also read his column in the newspaper, which contains helpful and intelligent information.

I haven't seen him trying to sell anything at all, in fact, he goes out of his way to communicate that that's NOT the case, both at the end of his show, and also online:

http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/mehmet-oz-md/my-name-profit-not-anymore

In this link he discusses how there are many shady merchants out there ready to steal his name to make a fast buck. In the post he says this:

How will they – and you – know that an advertisement for a specific product with my name on it is fake? You will know because they’re all fake.

I am not and have never been a paid spokesperson for any particular brand, supplement or product.

I have to admit I've never seen him try to sell anything, just what he perceives to be good advice.
  • zilfig64
    zilfig64 Posts: 71 Member
    He must have slipped up - 99% of what he says is pure garbage. He is snake oil salesman and no-one should ever believe a word he says.

and...sigh.. the "starvation myth" again...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1084912-good-starvation-mode-article

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/841305-corn-used-my-man-parts-as-a-speedbag
  • I'm not overly fond of Dr. Oz but what he said doesn't make sense. And I'm not doctor but I do know that you need to burn more than take in.

While being on a 1,200 calorie diet isn't for everyone nor is it easy. Just cutting down to that number doesn't mean you will lose the weight. One can eat 1,200 calories of junk food everyday and it doesn't really mean that they could lose the weight (I don't know if it will work or not but I won't try it). But I think the best way is by eating smart, exercise (not an easy thing to do for some people) and drinking more water and less carbonated drinks. And talking to one's doctor if it is possible on the best diet plan for that person. I am on a 1,290 calorie diet and I do at times find it hard to keep it. But I am losing weight since I am exercising and drinking more water. At times I do gorge myself but this rarely happens.

Also I think Dr. Oz could have went with another angle. Asking more questions about the women's diet, if she is exercising, if she cuts down on sodas, sleep and stress levels. I am not aware if the woman is highly stress or whatnot but if I was Dr. Oz I would be inquiring further about this woman. I would like to know the source on why she isn't losing any weight.
  • I happened to watch it today too, usually I don't, and I liked this part but then he went on to "bust another myth"; this one about being more prone to gain weight when eating at night. He said it's true. He compared 1400 cal eaten in daytime vs nighttime and said people retain more of these same cals at night... He had 2 women who work the nightshift at the ER, getting up at 5PM and being up unti morning. He basically advised them to reverse the size of their meals, with the biggest one being when they get up, a medium one mid-day (mid-night) and smallest one being their dinner. I think it might be a good concept, but is the myth really true? :huh:
  • I happened to watch it today too, usually I don't, and I liked this part but then he went on to "bust another myth"; this one about being more prone to gain weight when eating at night. He said it's true. He compared 1400 cal eaten in daytime vs nighttime and said people retain more of these same cals at night... He had 2 women who work the nightshift at the ER, getting up at 5PM and being up unti morning. He basically advised them to reverse the size of their meals, with the biggest one being when they get up, a medium one mid-day (mid-night) and smallest one being their dinner. I think it might be a good concept, but is the myth really true? :huh:

i saw that part too, and thought it was total crap. I eat up until i go to bed pretty much and i am losing weight. I don't believe in the whole "don't eat after a certain time" thing or the "you can't have carbs after 6 or 7pm" either. But what works for me may not work for someone else.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    He basically told her she was stuck because she's not feeding her body enough.

Well that is complete nonsense. There may be reasons to not eat 1000 calories/day - but inability to lose weight is not one of them. The idea that a person will stall or gain weight at 1000 calories/day but look like a concentration camp survivor eating 800 calories (concentration camp rations were 600-800 calories/day) makes a mockery of science and rational thinking.

Dollars to donuts the person involved is eating a lot more than they think they are, and following this advice will lead to prompt weight gain.

Typical Oz....
  • Serenitynow29
    Serenitynow29 Posts: 119 Member
    I happened to watch it today too, usually I don't, and I liked this part but then he went on to "bust another myth"; this one about being more prone to gain weight when eating at night. He said it's true. He compared 1400 cal eaten in daytime vs nighttime and said people retain more of these same cals at night... He had 2 women who work the nightshift at the ER, getting up at 5PM and being up unti morning. He basically advised them to reverse the size of their meals, with the biggest one being when they get up, a medium one mid-day (mid-night) and smallest one being their dinner. I think it might be a good concept, but is the myth really true? :huh:

i saw that part too, and thought it was total crap. I eat up until i go to bed pretty much and i am losing weight. I don't believe in the whole "don't eat after a certain time" thing or the "you can't have carbs after 6 or 7pm" either. But what works for me may not work for someone else.

The key word in the myth busting statement is prone. It's no different than saying older people are prone to gaining weight. That doesn't mean they will, nor does it mean that younger people can't gain weight it's a generality.

The studies on night-shift workers tend to focus on people who are not working on oil rigs or some other physically demanding job. Peace and just keep on reading and researching critically.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member

Now please don't jump down my throat. I'm not bashing the show, and i'm not bashing the people that eat 1000-1200 calories a day. I am simply shining light on some information that is coming from a popular source, in hopes that it might help people that are confused as to how much they should eat if they feel like a low calorie diet isn't working anymore or wont work for them to begin with.

That's actually a pretty decent statement by him. I am surprised he didn't try to sell her some magic pill.

That was yesterday's show. Meratrim?
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    You forgot the Dr Oz Fat Burning Syrup .. lose 33 lbs without dieting.

photo.JPG