How often to people weigh/measure themselves?

Options
I don't know what the best thing is to do when I want to weigh myself and also measure myself, I am currently doing it about twice a week but I know it probably isn't healthy due to the water your body holds ect, but I don't go on a hissy fit if it changes a tiny bit, I'd only be worried if it stayed like that for a couple of weeks! Just some help please :)

Replies

• meganwinx
    meganwinx Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I honestly check my weight everyday....
    Some people dont like this but I find it interesting to see how it fluctuates. As for Measuring I try to stay to once a week.
    Its personal choice really. Sometimes when the scale goes up one morning its a good reminder to behave that day. *shrugs* do what works for you.
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I have only been dieting just over 5 weeks but I am already falling in to the trap of weighing myself every day, I'm not getting annoyed if I'm not seeing the results I hope for but it is interesting seeing the big variations, I work nightshift and I have seen me coming home from work and doing 30 mins on the exercise bike then weighing myself before going to bed, getting up 6-7 hours later and weighing myself again and have dropped 3lbs while sleeping lol If only it was that easy.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Daily.

Knowing my daily variation and being able to correlate it with things like yesterday's sodium level and yesterday's workout intensity takes all the emotional significance out of the weighing in.

plus then I have one more value I can plug into my spreadsheets oh god I'm such a nerd
  • seashell709
    seashell709 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I weight myself once a week. I try not to be obsessive about it by stepping on the scale each day. I also do measurements once a month.
  • HealthyMakeover
    HealthyMakeover Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I check my weight everyday, but I always keep track because it fluctuates so much and I want to see if I'm still maintaining at the end of the week.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh myself most mornings but only record it here once a week. I like watching the fluctuations. This will sound crazy but sometimes the scale shows an unbelievable weight loss of 4 or 5 pounds from one day to the next, which obviously isn't true, but I like to think it's telling me my future.........................told you it was crazy.

I don't take the fluctuations serious, just look at the week to week trends and long term chart. I get measured once a month by my trainer and she lets me know how I'm doing regarding body fat and lean mass plus inches lost. For example I was measured this morning and lost 5 lbs in the last 4 weeks, 4 inches overall, 1% of BF but also lost a little more lean mass than we like to see, so I'm upping my protein some more. It's really valuable when you're dieting to see how you're actually doing so when you're done you're happy with the results. The scale isn't the most important judge of healthy weight loss.
  • michael300891
    Options
    Honestly, like most people, I weight myself once a day. However, I only trust changes that occur after 1-2 weeks minimum (for fat loss) if im aiming for muscle gains, I only trust them after 4-6 weeks.

Cheers, Mike.
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Daily.

Knowing my daily variation and being able to correlate it with things like yesterday's sodium level and yesterday's workout intensity takes all the emotional significance out of the weighing in.

plus then I have one more value I can plug into my spreadsheets oh god I'm such a nerd

I understand where you are coming from and I think it's why I'm loving MFP so much as I really do like the recording of every bit of data that I can, helps me keep focussed on what I'm trying to achieve, either that or I'm a saddo lol
  • aebrown1993
    aebrown1993 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. I can appreciate that weight fluctuates day to day, and that a better way to do it would be week to week, but I just can't help myself. I like the daily 'nod' I get from the scales, keeps me going!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning log the number in excel and move on with my day. I watch to make sure the trend is downward, if it is then I don't need to tweak anything, if it's not then I need to pay more attention to what I'm doing.

If you do not get emotionally attached to the number on the scale then go for it. But, if you get upset when your weight fluctuates and it will then I would suggest less frequent weigh ins.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I like to weight myself every day but only record on MFP once a week. Same with measurements.
  • LucyMoran2013
    Options
    Aww thankyou this has actually helped so much! I thought if was weird if I weighed myself everyday and that it was a bad thing to do, but I quite like it as a motivator :)