Looking for positive supporting people!

Options
Hey everyone!

I need to lose 30lbs, it's not a huge number, right? I would love the help and support of the people here who have succeeded in this journey and of course those who are going through it as well. I can be a great supporter as well.

I love to eat (especially chocolate). I'm sure that's the majority of the people on here, right?

MFP is starting me with 1300 calories, yikes! Not a lot!!! Is that normal??

Looking forward to making new friends!

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• suzely0530
    suzely0530 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi there, my name is Suzanne and I'm always looking for supportive friends. I've been on MFP for over a year and wouldn't have made it this far if it wasn't for friends I've met. I'll send you a request and any other ladies, feel free to send me a request as well if you're looking for support.
  • AmyJC81
    AmyJC81 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me :-) I am still on the journey
  • farmpa
    farmpa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am about in the same boat - want to lose about 30-40 lbs. Just started last Thursday at about 1270 calories a day. Tomorrow is my first weekly weigh-n - don't know if I lost anything, but my belly looks less puffy and my blood sugar is looking a lot better. Best of luck to you!
  • rhonda6373
    Options
    I am just starting out as well. MFP started me out at 1200 per day. I am assuming the reason at this point is because I am sedentary due to a sit down job. I am starting out w/only 20 minutes on the elliptical a day b/c I am really out of shape :). I am thinking that is pretty low as well but as I was reading on another thread it is really just a matter of logical math. So, I will shoot for 1200 for now and see how that goes! I was not counting calories until today wondering why I did not lose weight this week -- to my shock my lunch was 901 calories! 300 calories were hushpuppies which I will not have again for a while!

Anyway, I am rambling. I wish you the best of luck and you can friend me if you like.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    MFP's calculators are not perfect for everyone. If you are too hungry on 1300 calories - and you are eating primarily whole, healthy foods with protein and fiber and getting enough water - then feel free to find a number that works for you as long as it is below your maintenance level. Slow weight loss never hurt anyone! It may also motivate you to know that if you exercise you are encouraged to eat back what you burned.

Best of luck to you!
  • Jaxsonjess
    Jaxsonjess Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I just started about a month ago and I want to lose 67 more! Feel free to ask any questions! I have been though this LOTS of time. I am the guru of weight loss- know what exactly to do but doing it is the key!!! :)
  • M_Fitz72
    M_Fitz72 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    1300 calories isn't a lot and I know it's intimidating. The best tool I have found is Fitbit. You can link it to your MFP and it will automatically adjust your calories so you don't have to worry about. So...the more exercise, the more you will be able to consume above that 1300. That number is if you didn't do anything else for that day.
  • farfalla2015
    Options
    1300 calories isn't a lot and I know it's intimidating. The best tool I have found is Fitbit. You can link it to your MFP and it will automatically adjust your calories so you don't have to worry about. So...the more exercise, the more you will be able to consume above that 1300. That number is if you didn't do anything else for that day.

I have a fitbit!! I will do that, thank you!
  • farfalla2015
    Options
    I am just starting out as well. MFP started me out at 1200 per day. I am assuming the reason at this point is because I am sedentary due to a sit down job. I am starting out w/only 20 minutes on the elliptical a day b/c I am really out of shape :). I am thinking that is pretty low as well but as I was reading on another thread it is really just a matter of logical math. So, I will shoot for 1200 for now and see how that goes! I was not counting calories until today wondering why I did not lose weight this week -- to my shock my lunch was 901 calories! 300 calories were hushpuppies which I will not have again for a while!

Anyway, I am rambling. I wish you the best of luck and you can friend me if you like.

It's to understand starting so low. You're supposedly not supposed to go lower than 1200, right? What happens when you plateau?
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    It is intimidating (I'm down to a suggested 1270 calories) but it can be done. Also remember, that calorie goal is a suggestion and you add calories you can eat to it by doing some exercise. So if you exercise, you do need to eat some of the "exercise calories" back. Otherwise, you're tricking your body into thinking you're not giving it enough energy and it holds onto the fat more than it lets go of the fat. Also, there's a link to a forum here called something like "A guide to your sexy pants" or "fitting into your sexy pants" that I don't have available to me right now. It's a really good forum, it spells it out and makes sense (especially to this gal who's done this before, many times before, and has some experience with nutritionists). Give it a read and see if it makes sense to you.

You can do it!!!!

Feel free to add me.
  • TommyJensen1987
    Options
    I am at 1200 a day and would have gone mad if it wasn't for my fitbit. That thing means I walk a lot more and I actually get to eat some (or all) of the calories back.

Shoot me a friend request if you want, I have lost about that amount with a little less than that to go.
  • farfalla2015
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! Hopefully it will make this journey a little more pleasant.
  • EvenThatNameIsTaken
    Options
    Hi, I started on MFP a few weeks ago after having lost a couple pounds already, my starting goal was 50 lbs and now I'm 10 lbs down off of that. My next mini-goal is to get to 180. Haven't decided how I will reward myself at that point but I think that's important (other than the reward of being lighter!)

Anyway, I love to eat and I don't want to get in a position of making the diet something I can't follow for the rest of my life. So I spent a lot of time researching threads here about IIFYM, TDEE, BMR, if you have no idea what these mean, you will after you read a few threads here. I'll edit this post with links after I find them.

I'm now eating ~1600 cal a day and exercising 3 times a week (circuit training 2 days, cardio 1 day), and much happier than when I was trying to eat 1200 or even 1300. My BMR is estimated at 1550, so it seems silly to try to eat under that or I *will* feel crappy. Watching my macros (carb/protein/fat) has been eye-opening, I have realized that I never paid attention to these before and now it makes sense that even though I wasn't suffering, I wasn't feeling great either... for years and years... Also, weighing food has been a real eye-opener too! There's a great thread on that around here too.

Going to send you a friend request, I love getting and giving support :) Links to come.

These will keep you busy :happy: :

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1069275-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I've been on MFP over a year now. You can send me a friend request if you like.
  • calitrophywife
    Options
    Hey there. Good luck. You can do it. Feel free to add me if you like :)
  • BIKERC0WB0Y
    Options
    Newbie here looking for friends and support

Feel free to add if you're looking
  • seaberry09
    seaberry09 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting started, too. I'd like to lose 30-40lbs and am focusing on making a sustainable lifestyle change. I'm sending you a friend request now :)
  • sad_kitty
    sad_kitty Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm also relatively new here, similar loss goals and caloric plan. I'll also send you a request :)
  • IslandLaydi
    IslandLaydi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    How do you get the weight strip to show up on your profile?
  • IslandLaydi
    IslandLaydi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love making new friends...i enjoy peoples personal journey to continue to inspire me on my way ;)