What do I need for home gym equipment?

Options
Hello,

I started training quite a bit a while back, Iv always been more a cardio queen then a weight person but realised quickly that weight were what changed my body. I loved the effects it had on me but the problem is I find it really intimading in my local gym as I would always be the only girl, plus the equipment I needed was never free. So i want to get some stuff for home. I found a Marcys smith machine that comes with practically everything but it's soooo expensive, so i was thinking would it be easier to get the bits seperatly as in

Smith Machine
Bench
Weights
and some form of cardio equipment?

does anyone else train from home??

thank you for any help in advance

xxx

Replies

• shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have an adjustable weight bench and adjustable dumbbells. Pretty much all I need to strength training at home.
  • michael300891
    Options
    Squat rack and bench, couple of dumbells and barbells. Covers everything you need without buying a ridiculously expensive multigym.

Cheers, Mike.
  • tinatw
    tinatw Posts: 11
    Options
    Squat rack and bench, couple of dumbells and barbells. Covers everything you need without buying a ridiculously expensive multigym.

Cheers, Mike.

Cheers Mike,

I dont suppose you can recommend what bench/squat rack can you??

thank you

Tina
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    and some form of cardio equipment?

I use a Nordic Track Skier but most folks don't give themselves time to learn how to use them. However, just remember that most cardio equipment you purchase is going to cost a lot, may need repairs and is very heavy. So, if you don't want to spend a lot of money or not into something light and fairly inexpensive as a Skier, you might wish to check out the many choices of cardio workout dvds.
  • michael300891
    Options
    For the Bench I would recommend one that allows a 90 degree incline as well at least one in-between stages and flat. This allows shoulder presses, pec flyes etc but still bench press, dips etc.

As for the squat rack I would advice one with adjustable safety bars as your training home alone probably and these are great anyway to practice depth.

Honestly I can't recommend because it depends on your budget and goals. At the top end you can buy squat racks with cables and all kinds of crazy stuff attached. For example, you may decide you fancy a pullup bar attached - or you might settle for a £10 door pull-up bar.

Only things I would check is safety of the rack, and to make sure its suitable for whatever max load you think you would ever put on there, and the adjustability of the bench - perhaps check some reviews on comfort as well.

Cheers, Mike.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    a power rack and an adjustable flat bench. not a bench with the bar rack on it either. use the adjustable flat bench in the power rack to do your flat/incline/decline work. a good olympic bar and weight set and a few random dumbbells....
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I have barbells, dumbbells, plates, a bench (which double as squat rack and also has an extension on it which I use for leg extensions, leg curls, preacher curls, and glute kickbacks), a swiss ball, and a pull up bar.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Power rack/cage (with safety bars so you can do it alone.)
    Either 1" or Olympic weights depending on how much you lift - Olympic are nicer but means you're starting off with around 20kg (45lb) at the lowest.
    A bench that can ideally do incline or decline.

I made my own cage from old wood I had lying around and a couple of metal bars.
    Got the weights second hands and a sturdy bench second hand. Total cost around £200 all in.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Cheers, Mike.

This :)

There are also good plans for powercages on the google if you have a dad or bf whose a bit handy - wish I'd done this instead of the rack.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Olympic weight bench/bar/rack. Dumbells. Maybe a small curl bar or bb. I want to add a power tower, but just using a perfect pull-up bar right now.

That's really all you need.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Check craigslist for deals on olympic barbells and plates. They're generally pretty easy to come by. Flat benches as well. Power racks can be gotten cheaply and easily on Amazon. Mine was only $300.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I do body weight exercises only. Some people think this is ineffective, but I have gained almost 3 pounds of muscle over the last 6 months. That is an insane amount of muscle mass for a woman of my age.

I only own 1 15 pound kettlebell. It's all I need.
  • popo312
    popo312 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I bought a set of Bowflex 552's and really like them. Plenty of weight for my current uses.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    There are also good plans for powercages on the google if you have a dad or bf whose a bit handy - wish I'd done this instead of the rack.
    Ok, all of mine were a DIY effort, but I started off with a rack, then changed it to a cage.
    Even if you've got a comercial rack, bet you could make it into a cage one way or another by adding bits and drilling a few holes :).
    Presuming it's the safety bars that are important, I've heard of various ways to make them on their own - like using builders trestles.
  • shadowlydarkness
    shadowlydarkness Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I am more into my cardio then my strength training, but trying to balance both. I have across trainer, 2 different weight sets and a yoga matt, and my newly bought Zumba dvd set :) I would definitely not say that this is enough but it is a good start while you are saving up for more. Going to the gym gives you a good chance to look at what kind of machines you like doing and your body reacts best to, then invest in purchasing one for at home.
  • scottburger104
    scottburger104 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    12kg and 16kg kettlebell + the book "simple and sinister"
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I have a bench/squat rack, barbell, plates and pull-up bar. I'm hoping to get a set of adjustable dumbbells soon.

I got my set-up on Craig's List for $300. I know others who have gotten theirs much cheaper but demand is high here.
  • IVMarkIV
    IVMarkIV Posts: 116
    Options
    An incline treadmill is pretty sturdy and low maintenance. The one I have is folding and I have customized it into an office/standing desk treadmill. A door pull up bar and foam roller are both really cheap and you can just use a chair to make a dip station.

I am envious of those who have cages or squat racks!
  • Phiallis
    Phiallis Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    One thing you absolutely need (and which is cheap!) is a pull up bar.
    With just that you can develop a decent strength training routine.
    The next thing I would recommend is an adjustable bench, an olympic bar, and a squat rack or -better- a power cage if you have the room.
    Finally I would add some olympic rings to the set up due to their versatibility, and an ab wheel.
    This will give you all the strength training options you will ever need.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I have just got dumbells and a bar. I use this for arms and upper body, and then do ab exercises.