The Magic of Mindfulness

Options
The Magic of Mindfulness

You can change unhealthy eating and exercise patterns. Just use your built-in ally: your mind! Here are some hints to get started today.

The equation for weight loss and maintenance always sounds so simple: Eat less and move more equals fewer pounds. Yet many people still struggle with weight control. When pounds are dropped, they often creep back on. One part of the solution is to be more mindful of what you eat and how much you move.

Surrounded by Saboteurs
To achieve that balance, you must first recognize the factors that slip beneath the radar--ones that cause you to eat more and move less.

The food factors. Portion sizes have become much larger; in some cases, they are enormous. Compounding that problem is our busy lifestyles: We often eat more prepared and fast foods, and fewer whole foods such as fruits and vegetables. These on-the-go items likely contain more calories and fat than meals prepared at home, and they may not be as satisfying. In the end, it can be easy to eat more than your body really needs.

Easy living. Dishwashers, washing machines, snow blowers, remote controls--our day-to-day tasks have become simplified and automated, so you may use less energy than you used to.

The Good News. Life has become busier and more chaotic, with less time for leisure and sport activities as well as meal preparation. We are inundated with so many other things that we must remain mindful that physical activity and healthful eating may fall by the wayside, however unintentional. But it is possible to change eating and exercise behaviors for the better, with little sacrifice. The key is to use your built-in ally: your mind. If you pay more attention to what you are eating and how much you're moving, it's possible to end up choosing healthier foods, moving more--and enjoying both.

Making It Work for You. In the beginning, it might seem cumbersome to follow these tips; it may even take practice. But soon enough, they will become positive habits that are simple and sustainable--key for long-term weight control.

Take a moment. Settle down in a place where you can enjoy a relaxing meal without distraction. Not on a TV tray. Not at your work desk. Instead, sit at a table in a pleasant, quiet atmosphere--whether that's in your dining room or outdoors on a deck.

Make each mouthful an event. Pay attention to every sensation: what the food looks like, what it smells like, the texture of each bite, and, of course, the taste.

Turn off the distractions. No TV, newspaper, or magazine. Only soothing music or light conversation.

Lose track of time. When we eat mindfully, we appreciate what we eat, it usually takes longer, and we may eat less. A bowl of ice cream can take 20 minutes to eat!

Find opportunities for movement--they're everywhere. Whenever possible, take advantage of chances to be more active. Always park at the back of parking lots, and seek out stairwells. Instead of making lunch plans with a friend, plan a walk. When you invite friends over for a visit, invite them to play outdoor games instead of only to eat dinner. If you work in an office, take a two-minute break every hour--climb stairs, do jumping jacks, try pushups or sit-ups, or just walk briskly around the perimeter of your office area. Do any activity to get your body moving and your blood flowing.

"SUCCESS IS A LIFESTYLE, NOT A DIET"

Replies

• DorothyNorrington
    DorothyNorrington Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I really like this post. It is a great reminder of the way that the little things add to to show great achievements. Thanks for sharing!
  • CocoFire
    CocoFire Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bringing mindfulness as a practice to my eating has been VERY helpful at changing my habits and thinking around eating. I've been practicing mindfulness systematically for awhile but never applied it to my eating before. It's amazing how many judgments come up around food for me. I guess it's no surprise, but after years of practice with poor eating habits, my thinking drowned out the deeper impulses and urges. I'm now able to do a much better job at knowing if that hunger urge is real hunger or an impulse to stop the stream of judgmental thinking. I know this all sounds somehow mystical or mysterious, and it's really not. It's just taking the time to notice RIGHT NOW.

When I'm eating I use it as a practice to notice my food- really notice it. I pay closer attention to the place and the work that went into the food that is before me. I pay attention to the temperature of the food and the feel of the fork in my hands. I pay attention to the textures and colors, and my likes and dislikes. I notice when I start to judge things as good or bad. (Tomatoes are bad.) And I try to re-frame my thinking to describing what is real before me. (The tomato is red.) It's a small practice that has been very powerful for me. It helps me slow down and appreciate how I feel about my food.

The great thing about mindfulness is that you are already doing what you are doing-- so it doesn't take any time at all to just notice it. I also bring mindfulness to preparing my food and washing the dishes now too. It's a wonderful daily time for me to be present in my life at the only time it really matters, now.

This book, Eating Mindfully, has been a great help. As well as Wherever You Go There You Are by Jon Kabat Zinn.

http://eatingmindfully.com/bookoverview/nutrition.htm

And for the more intrepid:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nwwKbM_vJc&feature=related
  • foxfirekenzie
    foxfirekenzie Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I couldn't have said it any better! Thanks for putting it out there like that.
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    this is an awesome post. I wish I could add it to my profile! :love:
  • breannk
    Options
    bump to read later :)
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,367 Member
    Options
    this is an awesome post. I wish I could add it to my profile! :love:

You can copy it and paste to your blog. That is what I do if I have stuff I want to keep and read on a bad day.
  • Fabulocity
    Fabulocity Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Excellent topic!