Heart Rate Monitor- Please help determine if it's broken

Options
I use a Timex Ironman Triathlon heart rate monitor (chest strap and watch). I have really relied it on lately to help gauge my HR and overall calorie burn. A couple of weeks ago, the HR readout was odd- it started at 30 and didn't budge until I was well into my workout (running at 6.0-7.0 mph for 3 miles). I replaced the battery and it appeared to fix the issue.

Until today. I started my run at 5.5 mph and the readout was a 159. Then, out of nowhere, it jumped to 240 and stayed there until I slowed down from a run to a walking pace. The HR decreased to 130, so I picked up my pace, and then it jumped to 231 again.

I should mention I left my chest strap and watch in my gym bag last night...which I left in my car overnight. It's been downright frigid here and it sat in the cold all night.

Did I destroy my HRM? Is there anything at all I can do to 'reset' it so it reads accurately?

I appreciate your help in advance.

Replies

• MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if you can fix it but I would definitely say it's broken. How long have you had it? Can you contact the manufacturer?
  • cdstaufenbiel
    cdstaufenbiel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've had it for about 2 years. It's not covered by the manufacturer's warranty any more.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    Try washing the chest strap and changing the battery on the transmitter. Also wetting the chest strap, tightening it. If those measure don't work it is probaly broken. I have had my Polar HRM transmitter repaired twice under warranty. Apparently the transmitter can oxidize and get damaged if not kept dry.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    It is possible that the cold overnight temp damaged the battery. Leaving in a hot car can have a similar effect (I killed my GPS battery the same way). Decent HRM are not cheap - batteries are by comparison - try another battery first before giving up.

You could try resetting I found this on a brief search:
    http://www.coolrunning.com.au/forums/?showtopic=10439
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    FYI, Timex hrms typically over estimate caloric burn amyway. garmin and polar tend to be much more accurate
  • cdstaufenbiel
    cdstaufenbiel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'll try replacing the battery and see how that works. I'll look into one of the other brands if this one is past saving.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your help!