The process mentality to losing fat

Options
You're doing something right when you check your weight and see no change (or even a slight increase) and immediately think, "Has my nutrition been consistent enough to where a loss should have been realized? If no, what can I modify to make the plan more realistically and consistently applicable? If yes, what modifications can I test out over the next block of weeks to get things dialed in?"

Your body's not going to give up fat when you're not consistent with your plan. Caloric deficits paired intermittently with caloric surpluses (typically binges) tend to net out to caloric equilibrium. Hence the need for consistency.

And if your plan's not dialed in, no amount of consistency and effort is going to earn you forward progress.

For this reason, a logical system of tweaking based on the line of questioning I presented above will win out - long term - over the emotionally driven approach.

I'm sure you know the approach I'm referring to... where you see that slight uptick on the scale, pout about a lack of progress, and then go find some insta-pleasure in a box of cookies to get you over this hump of self loathing.

Your body doesn't owe you losses simply because you believe they're deserved.

Replies

• BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart:

This is so true. I've spent several months mucking about and not making any scale progress. But I've also been asking myself questions like, "what if I eat more in the mornings" or "what if I eat more protein". Tweaking things until I can be consistent with my calories over time is going to be the key to making progress.

And I'm sure that after I get things 'dialed in' today, several months from now, things will change again and more tweaking will be needed.
  • luvdogz
    luvdogz Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump-I need to remember this, thank you!
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Well said, Steve!
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    My pleasure!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    This is awesome :flowerforyou: so many people need to read this
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well said!
  • Jocampgrl
    Jocampgrl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Amen! This is the harder part of losing weight. Hard because it generally takes longer to ask those questions rather than stay focused on the number on the scale and the feelings associated with it.