Knees hurt!

Options
My knees kill when I walk up and down stairs, they kinda feel swollen. I've been doing T25 for 2 months, and my knees don't hurt when working out (in fact they only feel good when I am working out). I've put a mirror up so I can make sure I have good form while I'm working out, my knees don't ever go over my toes and they face the same way my toes do. What can I do to decrease my knee pain?

Replies

• midnight419
    midnight419 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    How long have you had knee pain? Sounds like it's time to see an orthopedist.
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    "make sure I have good form while I'm working out, my knees don't ever go over my toes"

It sounds like you have good form so I'd get it checked out. You need your knees. In the mean time I would ice (20 mins on/20 mins off) and elevate them. Good Luck.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    My knees kill when I walk up and down stairs, they kinda feel swollen. I've been doing T25 for 2 months, and my knees don't hurt when working out (in fact they only feel good when I am working out). I've put a mirror up so I can make sure I have good form while I'm working out, my knees don't ever go over my toes and they face the same way my toes do. What can I do to decrease my knee pain?
    Actually, it's fine for you knees to go over your toes, just not too far. Watch when you climb stairs. The "natural" motion is for you knees to go past your toes. So it could be that altering your squats, jumps etc. is transferring load to your hips and hip flexors and a more forward lean, instead putting the load on your quads and the muscles above your knee. Try working out for a little while with letting your knees pass your toes and see if the pain alleviates.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mlhay81
    mlhay81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the same problems. They started when I was only 19 years old and started a program like that and running! After a lot of doctors visits, MRIs, and physical therapy, it all comes down to how tight my hamstrings are and how strong my glutes and abs are. I can feel it when I don't stretch REALLY well. Try paying close attention to the stretching and massaging the tendon right under your knee cap.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I have the same problems. They started when I was only 19 years old and started a program like that and running! After a lot of doctors visits, MRIs, and physical therapy, it all comes down to how tight my hamstrings are and how strong my glutes and abs are. I can feel it when I don't stretch REALLY well. Try paying close attention to the stretching and massaging the tendon right under your knee cap.
    This too. Muscle imbalances put stress on other muscles to compensate for weakness.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition