Knee Stiffness from heavy Squats

Options
Hey All,

I have been experiencing knee stiffness over the last few months doing heavy squats. I wouldn't classify it as pain, because it doesn't really, just no flexibility in the knee. Because of this, I tend to only Squat every 7 days, sometimes even 8-9 days, if I feel I need a little more recovery. Due to this, I feel hesitant about going really heavy, and my squat is definitely my weakest lift (Only 225# @ 170lbs).

Anybody have experience with this issue or any tips on recovery? I normally bodyweight squat on off days, it feels decent, progressing on pistol squats. I stretch after I'm warmed up, with usually sitting in the "hole", that feels fine. I'll do walking lunges once in a while as well, feels good. If anyone ask, yes I do squat deep. If I go to my family doctor, i'll be told to stop squatting and take some form of pill i'm sure.

Any tips or tricks with recovery would be well appreciated.

Thanks,

Replies

• jkolbe94
    Options
    Probably a dumb question, but are you staying adequately hydrated? That may be part of the problem. The tendons and ligaments around your joints need to stay lubricated (insert giggle here). I would even suggest you drink twice as much water as normal (you'll have to pee like a race horse, but it may help solve your problem).
    Other than that, making sure your nutrients are balanced would help. You're a man, so I'd assume you consume enough protein for muscle building, but are you balancing fat and vitamins? Just something to think about :)
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Probably a dumb question, but are you staying adequately hydrated? That may be part of the problem. The tendons and ligaments around your joints need to stay lubricated (insert giggle here). I would even suggest you drink twice as much water as normal (you'll have to pee like a race horse, but it may help solve your problem).
    Other than that, making sure your nutrients are balanced would help. You're a man, so I'd assume you consume enough protein for muscle building, but are you balancing fat and vitamins? Just something to thing about :)

Not a dumb question a all, I do, my urine is always clear(I tend to pee a lot!!), I work straight nights, and workout after work, so I drink and eat all night, So I believe its pretty good. My nutrition consist of fruits and veggies pretty much daily as well. Consuming over my regular protein recommendation as well. I Run as well, not currently (live in Canada), last year, I ran a lot, and raced, and never had this kind of issue either. It seems to be directly related to heavy squats, which really sucks!!!

I also take omega 3 and magnesium as extra supp. I put nothing else in my body except whey protein and food.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Could be your stance, leg position, foot position, do your knees bend in when your squatting. What kind of shoes do you wear, are they worn out funny?
  • steve0820
    Options
    Could be your stance, leg position, foot position, do your knees bend in when your squatting. What kind of shoes do you wear, are they worn out funny?

I have actually broken down my lift recently as well, and check those things, I think they are pretty good. I keep about just over shoulder width apart, with a slight angle outward. I did increase the width a little, and it has helped. As far as I know, my knees don't collapse inward. My shoes aren't the newest, but they are flat, which is what I need (I do admit I need new shoes tho haha, so its something to consider, they're not chucks).

I'll try and add as much info as I can to help you guys out, to avoid any questions. I also squat high bar, does anybody know if high bar vs low bar, makes a difference with knee issues? I don't wear knee wraps, anybody use them and feels it could help?

Jppd47 - By leg positioning did you mean angle? or something else? My feet i'd say about 30 degrees, like my deadlift. Would you recommend something different?

Thanks,
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I meant width and angle. One thing to keep in mind is that not all advise is meant for all body types, you may have to adjust your position on things to suite you.

Do you stretch and or use a roller on your muscles regularly? Could help, maybe a flexibility thing.

Im no expert in the field, just throwing some ideas out there
  • steve0820
    Options
    Yeah, I meant width and angle. One thing to keep in mind is that not all advise is meant for all body types, you may have to adjust your position on things to suite you.

Do you stretch and or use a roller on your muscles regularly? Could help, maybe a flexibility thing.

Im no expert in the field, just throwing some ideas out there

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it for sure, i'm going to play around with my width. I do stretch afterwards and foam roll daily, I must admit, I don't do enough for legs, mostly back. I started sitting in the "hole" just recently, and hold that position for an amount of time, and do a few sets of that, hopefully it helps.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Louie Simmons has some great videos on squats on you tube. I have had some knee and elbow stiffness issues in the past. I have found that working hamstrings (stiff leg deads) help with flexibilty and strength in the squat department. Unfortunately, age also plays a role in joint mobility. There are many supplements on the market that claim to help with joints, but I have found that connective tissue strength conditioning is the key. If you find a weak spot, exploit it and make it a strong point. i wish you the best of luck brother, and keep fighting the good fight.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's definitely the squats?

I ask as I have one dodgy knee that has really improved with squats(like you, I take omega 3 supplements but I can skip a day with them now without instant pain). I was running 3x a week at one point and it started getting iffy again. So, it was give up squats or running - gave up the running and it's fine again - I just stick to once a week hill sprints now.

Just something else to consider if you're running outside like I was.

If not, maybe try a knee sleeve to keep it warm throughout. And as well as your stretches are you getting a good warm up e.g. Skipping or high knees or whatever?

ETA: kudos on the pistol squats, I can only manage two without fallin over atm
  • steve0820
    Options
    Louie Simmons has some great videos on squats on you tube. I have had some knee and elbow stiffness issues in the past. I have found that working hamstrings (stiff leg deads) help with flexibilty and strength in the squat department. Unfortunately, age also plays a role in joint mobility. There are many supplements on the market that claim to help with joints, but I have found that connective tissue strength conditioning is the key. If you find a weak spot, exploit it and make it a strong point. i wish you the best of luck brother, and keep fighting the good fight.

Thanks Brother! Good advice on the hamstrings, i'll look into that, because I do have weak hamstrings. My kickboxing coach was the first to notice that. So I have been working on them a little, with good morning's and bridges. I've always done conventional deads, but i'll look into the mechanics of stiff leg, and try it out.

I hear ya on age, turning 32 soon ( i dont think thats old at all), but with 15+ years of lifting and martial arts, makes my body feel a lot older...hahaha
  • steve0820
    Options

I ask as I have one dodgy knee that has really improved with squats(like you, I take omega 3 supplements but I can skip a day with them now without instant pain). I was running 3x a week at one point and it started getting iffy again. So, it was give up squats or running - gave up the running and it's fine again - I just stick to once a week hill sprints now.

If not, maybe try a knee sleeve to keep it warm throughout. And as well as your stretches are you getting a good warm up e.g. Skipping or high knees or whatever?

Its the only exercises that ive noticed it with for sure. I was doing all my running outside, but stopped in December (I live in Canada, and this winter has been harsh), So I cut running out completely since, no treadmill either.

I usually always warm up with bodyweight squats, bar only, high knees and mountain climbers. Sometimes I skip, but that's mostly outdoors as well, in the nicer weather.

I thought of a knee sleeve, any experience with it? does it help?
  • jimjamsjet
    jimjamsjet Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Get professional advice
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Its the only exercises that ive noticed it with for sure. I was doing all my running outside, but stopped in December (I live in Canada, and this winter has been harsh), So I cut running out completely since, no treadmill either.

I usually always warm up with bodyweight squats, bar only, high knees and mountain climbers. Sometimes I skip, but that's mostly outdoors as well, in the nicer weather.

I thought of a knee sleeve, any experience with it? does it help?

No, I haven't tried one but read about it in Wendler (I think?). I've tried the wraps which makes it much easier but I felt like I was cheating.

LIke someone above said, it's probably your stance/movement them - you probably need to find a movement that suits your body. Sorry, I've got nothing else. Good luck with it.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Knee sleeves will help keep the joint warm and keep the fluid moving, which may help.

Making sure that your foot angle matches your knee angle might help.

INCREASING frequency at a bit of reduced intensity may be the ticket. I read Matt Perryman's "Squat Every Day" back in December, and he presents a really interesting case for higher frequency work being better on joints due to the different rates of blood flow between connective tissue and muscle. The ebook is worth a read whether you're interested in a high-frequency program or not; definitely not your everyday training book and i think it was only like $7.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Knee sleeves are God's gift to squatters (and deadlifters). Get these:

rh7051new_big.png

http://www.jackalsgym.com/store.aspx?prod_id=RH-KS

They are awesome. Put them on before you get to the gym. Warmup with them on. Feel the warm goodness. They have greatly improved my recovery and enjoyment of squats. They aren't the cheapest, they are the best. Watch what the big boys wear on the youtube videos or the strongman competitions. They all wear sleeves and most wear Rehband.

I liked them so much and the wonderful benefits of warm muscles that I got pants, shirt and elbow sleeves, too. Then I put sweatpants and a sweatshirt on over that. Lifting warm has been the single biggest improvement I have made in the past 9 months. Magical.

warmgear.jpeg

I have since added calf sleeves to this but they are more for keeping my shins from bleeding on deadlift day. If I could, I would just put a wetsuit on to lift.

Enjoy your squats.

Tom
  • steve0820
    Options
    Knee sleeves will help keep the joint warm and keep the fluid moving, which may help.

Making sure that your foot angle matches your knee angle might help.

INCREASING frequency at a bit of reduced intensity may be the ticket. I read Matt Perryman's "Squat Every Day" back in December, and he presents a really interesting case for higher frequency work being better on joints due to the different rates of blood flow between connective tissue and muscle. The ebook is worth a read whether you're interested in a high-frequency program or not; definitely not your everyday training book and i think it was only like $7.

I think you're on to something. I'm interested in this. Looking back at my logs from last year, I squatted more frequently, at least twice a week with the bar, lower weight, and I didn't notice any issues, pretty much until I started going really heavy. Which in turn, turned my recovery time into a week or more. I might rotate in a heavy day, maybe once every couple of weeks, and start doing 2 -3 lower weight sessions per week.

Tomcornhole: Thanks Tom!! I'm leaning more and more towards getting some, I think its a good idea, especially for my heavy days. I think its more of an ego thing with me, needing a sleeve for only a couple of hundread pounds hahaha, but you guys are right, I think it will be the way to go.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    I think you're on to something. I'm interested in this. Looking back at my logs from last year, I squatted more frequently, at least twice a week with the bar, lower weight, and I didn't notice any issues, pretty much until I started going really heavy. Which in turn, turned my recovery time into a week or more. I might rotate in a heavy day, maybe once every couple of weeks, and start doing 2 -3 lower weight sessions per week.

Tomcornhole: Thanks Tom!! I'm leaning more and more towards getting some, I think its a good idea, especially for my heavy days. I think its more of an ego thing with me, needing a sleeve for only a couple of hundread pounds hahaha, but you guys are right, I think it will be the way to go.

I plan to pick up some sleeves as soon as I have a bit of extra cash (weather has me laid off atm). Yeah the weights I'm doing now only amount to about 75% of my 1RM on a daily basis, but that's unbelted high bar reps vs. low bar comp. stance for maxes. At any rate, it's not all that heavy, is what I'm saying, but it's a decent loading on a daily basis.
  • scottburger104
    scottburger104 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    you might also try goblet squats or front barbell squats or zercher squats. The weight in front counter balances you and you can sit back better and keep a more verticle shin which is preferable for knee health. If you get bored look up mike westerdal's website and have a look at "fix my knee pain"
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    a more verticle shin which is preferable for knee health.

I have never heard this before. Why would that be the case?
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    properly stretch your quads