Workout time?

Options
Okay so I've been working out for an hour a day alternating between total cardio and strength training. The trainer at the gym says that really you shouldn't work out for more than 45 minutes. He says anything over 45 minutes stops fat burn. Is this a founded truth? Am I hurting myself by working out for an hour? Personal trainers please feel free to give your input!

Replies

• micah2009
    micah2009 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't stop fat burn. Losing weight is all about expending more calories than you intake.
  • melgibson
    melgibson Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    How can that possibly be true?!?!
    I work out for about an hour a day on average and feel great on it.
    Some days more and some days less, depending on time available and how I'm feeling.
    But I aim for about an hour a day.

Will be interested to see what people say to this question!!
    And what proof they have to back this up!! :smile:
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    WHat the hell is he talking about? Calories burned are calories burned. I train my clients for an hour and I train myself anywhere between 60-90 min. Your body will burn body fat if you are working out and eating healthy clean nutritious food
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I've never seen any evidence that it stops fat burn, however if you're being efficient in your workouts, you shouldn't need more than 45 mins.

One of my references goes as far as saying "If your workouts are taking you more than 45 mins, you're overtraining".

Remember, it's not how long you're workout out for...but what you're doing with the time.

Intensity is the main variable that I see most people skimp out on. Lots of people come to the gym religously running through their workouts, but are simply going through the motions without any real challenge to their exercise programs.

(That's not to say you're doing that yourself, just in general a vast majority do).

As well, alot of people might obsess on the Cardio machines and monopolize them for hours at a time. I've seen most gyms I've worked in impose limits as to how long you can use a given machine for, and only allow people to sign up for one at a time.

So that trainer that told you that might be thinking on that angle as well.

Cardio Health-wise....you'll get the same benefit of doing shorter cardio workouts throughout the day as you will doing one long one. (I.E 2 15-mins sessions = 1 30 mins session.).
  • ntp0826
    ntp0826 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I wanted to hear some input on it and he's actually not the first trainer to tell me this!
  • ntp0826
    ntp0826 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I've never seen any evidence that it stops fat burn, however if you're being efficient in your workouts, you shouldn't need more than 45 mins.

One of my references goes as far as saying "If your workouts are taking you more than 45 mins, you're overtraining".

Remember, it's not how long you're workout out for...but what you're doing with the time.

Intensity is the main variable that I see most people skimp out on. Lots of people come to the gym religously running through their workouts, but are simply going through the motions without any real challenge to their exercise programs.

(That's not to say you're doing that yourself, just in general a vast majority do).

As well, alot of people might obsess on the Cardio machines and monopolize them for hours at a time. I've seen most gyms I've worked in impose limits as to how long you can use a given machine for, and only allow people to sign up for one at a time.

So that trainer that told you that might be thinking on that angle as well.

Cardio Health-wise....you'll get the same benefit of doing shorter cardio workouts throughout the day as you will doing one long one. (I.E 2 15-mins sessions = 1 30 mins session.).
    Thank-you! Maybe that's what he was talking about!