Strength/Endurance Training

Options
For years I've just done push ups for my strength training twice a week (I do my cardio 3 times a week). 170 with hands in regular position, 165 with hands in the V shape position and 165 with hands spread apart. I was considering incorporating hand weights in the work out but not sure if it would really make much of a difference and wondered if it would be a waste of time. I'm not interested in being bulky or anything like that; I'm 54 and just want to maintain my strength and endurance? Would the hand weights be a waste of time?

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you're talking about- do you do 170 reps of push ups or are you somehow calculating the weight you lift for push ups?

Doing push ups only is not a balanced strength program. For every push exercise, you should be doing a pull exercise (like rows for example) to balance it out. You want to equally balance push and pull exercises to not overdevelop strength on one side of any joint, which leads to injury. Strength training is never a waste of time and will not make you bulky unless you specifically want that and try to achieve it. I would add lower body work and pull exercises. You're doing way too much 'push'.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the confusion. Altogether I do a 500 push up workout (170 + 165 + 165). I'm not sure what a "pull" exercise is. Would pull ups and chin ups suffice? And what would a pull exercise be for using 20 pound hand weights.
  • tanfit4life
    tanfit4life Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I agree strength training is never a waist of time-I also do pull up & chin ups-I do use weight dumbells-i prefer to lift heavy -but you won't get bulked unless that's what you are looking for-I also do cardio kickboxing-nad for a warm up I run for 20 minutes before my strength training-good luck in you fitness journey-don't over do it-you can to to much to-I do arms back and chest one day/legs the next-also I love squats and dead leg lifts- you will find what works for you:smile:
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    One arm push-ups
    Chin-ups and one arm chin-ups if you can do lots
    Pistol squats with dumbbells(try to work up to 50+ lb DBs)
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the confusion. Altogether I do a 500 push up workout (170 + 165 + 165). I'm not sure what a "pull" exercise is. Would pull ups and chin ups suffice? And what would a pull exercise be for using 20 pound hand weights.
    Push-ups work muscles such as your pectorals and triceps. To be balanced you will need to work the opposing muscle groups as well, which would be your back and biceps.

Pull ups and chin ups are good, with dumbells you can also do dumbell rows. Those are all pulls since you are pulling something toward your body or you are pulling your body toward something.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    if you want to make sure that your strength training is well rounded (you should), then endeavor to do a push, pull, and squat with your training. At a higher age, you might want to research the benefits of trying to use more weight in your training at least occasionally; heavier loads will help maintain bone density.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Yeah, add some chin ups or pull ups to your routine and you're pretty much good to go. In keeping with your body weight theme, you could add inverted rows and handstand pushups and just leave the dumbbells alone.

If you want to mix it up with the dumbbells, Google the Spartacus workout. 20 pound DBs are fine for that.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    Options
    Thank you for your response. I will incorporate some of the suggestions into my workout. Sometimes I incorporate the push up workout in my aerobic workout but I have to have a lot of energy to do both. Thanks again.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    Options
    I was doing pull ups and chins up this past summer but pulled something and it was painful to do them. I'll try them again and see if I can do them without any pain.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Yeah, add some chin ups or pull ups to your routine and you're pretty much good to go. In keeping with your body weight theme, you could add inverted rows and handstand pushups and just leave the dumbbells alone.

If you want to mix it up with the dumbbells, Google the Spartacus workout. 20 pound DBs are fine for that.

+1 Spartacus is a wrecking ball, whether you go light or heavy with the dbbell.

ETA: If you can't do the pull ups right now, look up the inverted rows Dave mentioned. From there you can move on to assisted pull ups, or negative pull ups to help build back up to them.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I was doing pull ups and chins up this past summer but pulled something and it was painful to do them. I'll try them again and see if I can do them without any pain.

I did this one when I war using too much momentum. Took almost 2 months to fully heal, although I could work around it.

Slow it down a bit and build up.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    sounds like push-ups may be too easy for you if you can do 500 reps. You are out of the strength training realm and are into muscular endurance. how many reps/set of push-ups do you do?

To make the push-ups harder, start with 1 arm push ups, then decline push-ups, then to your V, then to your standard. You will tire faster this way, making the "easier" push-up variations more challenging, hence better for strength gains, not endurance
  • ChaplainHeavin
    Options
    sounds like push-ups may be too easy for you if you can do 500 reps. You are out of the strength training realm and are into muscular endurance. how many reps/set of push-ups do you do?

I can't do 500 at once. I do them in three separate positions. After each position I do crunches or jack knives.

Standard Position: I start with 85 to 90, rest a couple seconds, then do around 20 to 25, rest a couple seconds, and continue until I reach 170.

For the V Position and Arms Spread Out Position I follow the same pattern except only do 165 each. However, sometimes, like today, I'll do them throughout my aerobic workout.

I'm looking into the Spartacus Workout on YouTube and that may be what I've been looking for.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    Options
    I'm also considering trying the Bring Sally Up Bring Sally Down push ups.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL-l4bZCkAw
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    You could add resistance bands or try elevating your feet to make it harder.