Running Questions

Options

Replies

• dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    In my experience, the fastest way to become a stronger runner is hill work (fartleks or repeats). Couple that with strength training (6 RM of SLDLs, calf raises, and squats) and whatever core work one can fit in, miles will just fly by.

Of course all this assumes that one has followed the ultimate, cardinal rule of running: get fitted.

Now for long races or overnight relays I stay propped up on NSAIDs and copious amounts of stretching. And protein.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    A lot of great responses here!

I will add my voice to the fray!

Add distance SLOWLY!!! As a rough rule, do not add more than 10% per week.

The program I have followed has 2-3 week day runs that includes sprints, hills and steady pace. Followed by a Sunday long run. The long run is a 10:1 run. 10min running slow pace with a 1 min walk. Repeated over the target distance. Long run is to train your body how to deal with the strain of the distance.

There are lots of smart phone running apps along with tons of books on how to train. With a little research you will find a program that works for you.

If you have the opportunity to run with a group I suggest you give this a try. It's a great way to maintain the commitment and motivation.

Most important aspect of running. Have fun!
  • michellewelch2010
    michellewelch2010 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hey Brandon,

I would suggest an iPhone app or the system you can buy that worked awesome for me training for a marathon, but it can be used to just improve whatever you got going for you right now. It's the Adidas miCoach. There's so many different programs on there to get you to run faster, further, harder! I first bought the system that comes with a shoe sensor, HR sensor and the little computer where you select your workouts from. But now they have an app and accessories for the iPhone to make your phone do the exact same thing. They have come down in price since I first started using it. I found it priceless though, especially when I did any outside runs. I like that you can't start a program before you do an assessment run, and from there it sets your skill level so you don't train to hard and prevent injury. After a few months you can do more assessment runs and it will make you work harder as you get better.

http://micoach.adidas.com/

1) Do you eventually just build up so much stamina/endurance that you can run for MILES without fatiguing?

This does not happen overnight! Give yourself at least 6 months, and training on the treadmill will not be the same as outside. Outside is more difficult, yet the time passes easier because you are not a hamster on a wheel...

2) When do you actually start losing juice (Or is it the whole time, yet your body allows you to keep going?)

The first mile or two I "know I'm running"... after this point something clicks and I will run until I have to tell myself "Ok it's getting dark, or ok I'm 10 miles from home I better turn around."

Happy running!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    In my experience, the fastest way to become a stronger runner is hill work (fartleks or repeats). Couple that with strength training (6 RM of SLDLs, calf raises, and squats) and whatever core work one can fit in, miles will just fly by.

Of course all this assumes that one has followed the ultimate, cardinal rule of running: get fitted.

Now for long races or overnight relays I stay propped up on NSAIDs and copious amounts of stretching. And protein.

:noway:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Also, do you guys take any sort of supplements or anything like that?

Water ;)

If I'm out for more than an hour I'll carry a bottle of electrolyte and a couple of gels in case I need a boost. Don't always use them.

My biggest issue with dreadmills is the boredom, I'd struggle to run more than 20 minutes indoors, but can go for a couple of hours outside.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Also, do you guys take any sort of supplements or anything like that?
    Water ;)

Agreed and I also drink a smoothie 1/2 before I leave. :)
  • EvenThatNameIsTaken
    Options
    I have heard that setting the treadmill to a slight incline (like 1 or 2) will emulate running outside. I don't know how accurate this is. I actually find it easier to run outside because there's more scenery and things to pay attention to! Can't wait till the weather gets nicer. I use MapMyRun to track my runs outside, it's very motivating.
  • LeGaCyGiAnT124
    LeGaCyGiAnT124 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Awesome responses everyone!!!

That is what I love about this site. Everyone is willing to help out!!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    keep at it and run your own race without comparing yourself to others. there's always going to be someone faster.

i find it helps to keep a plan of progression that way my runs arent always at the whim of what i "feel" like doing since i can get mental blocks during a run. for instance i primarily run now on an indoor track since i tend to go late in the day when it's dark. my progression plan is based on # of times around the track rather than number of minutes since i dont want to get in the habit of always checking time when i run). i'm also doing a c25k type program (zombies, run 5k) ad there are big sections of free runs that are like 5,8, 15 minutes of running.. when i first started in january i could probably do 6 laps max but last night i was able to make it 17 laps!

also i noticed that by this time, those initial 6 laps felt pretty easy. my goal is to get to the stage where i can completely run a 5k regardless of speed it takes and from there start working on getting speedier 5k as well building endurance for a 10k.

so yeah, just keep up with it, make some weekly progressions in terms of distance/time. dont worry about speed now. an if you can try doing some runs off the treadmill
  • LeGaCyGiAnT124
    Options
    Can one of you guys explain these running programs/plans?

What exactly is a c25k or a zombie??

Sorry for the noob questions. This is all new to my ears!
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Do you guys think the treadmill is easier/harder than running outside?

Wont be able to run outside ATLEAST for a few weeks. Still snow everywhere and too cold. I can't handle running in the cold. It hurts my chest way too bad.

How long have you guys been running for?

It clearly varies on the weather conditions, but all things being equal, the treadmill is much harder than running outside. And it is much easier to go faster outside (assuming you aren't running on really hilly courses). It is the way running is supposed to be. The treadmill is just an invention and a really poor substitute IMO. Get outdoors and experience the air and elements.

I do not like the treadmill (not a secret) and I won't go on it unless it is absolute desperation so others are probably better suited to answer your specific questions.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options

Go to the iOS or Google Play Store and type C25K and/or Zombies, Run 5K. It's basically interval training with walking/running. With C25K it tells you when to cool up, run, walk and cool down. It also tells you when you are starting, half way and ended. :)
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response! I think I am doing just fine starting out. I was merely curious how long it would take to build up enough endurance for running long distances. Run, Run, RUN!!!

You'll be absolutely amazed at what your body can do, if you give it a chance. Be patient. Be persistent. And most importantly, be kind to yourself.

And do worry about folks dissing the treadmill. It's just a tool. Many elite runners utilize treadmills, particularly when the conditions outside are unsafe. I love to run outdoors and wish I could all the time, but ice and snow will usually drive me inside, except for weekend long runs. This quote sums up the silliness of treadmill bashing nicely:

"...the biomechanics, contrary to what many believe, are essentially the same as overground running. “We had to do a study on that [here] to convince the National Institutes of Health to fund some of our other work,” she told Runner’s World Newswire. “People have a bias against treadmill running--that real runners don’t do it, or that it changes your leg movements. It’s all garbage. We found some minor changes, but they weren’t the ones people expected, and they don’t affect anyone’s running biomechanics.”

From here: http://www.runnersworld.com/treadmills/biomechanics-expert-debunks-treadmill-running-myths

They say the runners can continue to improve for 7 years, so keep a very long term view of things and avoid rushing. Your cardiovascular system will improve much faster than your musculoskeletal system will. That means you need to give your tendons, ligaments and even your bones (yes, bones do grow and adapt!) time to adapt to the stress of running.

Good luck and have fun!
  • EvenThatNameIsTaken
    Options
    Thanks for the response! I think I am doing just fine starting out. I was merely curious how long it would take to build up enough endurance for running long distances. Run, Run, RUN!!!

You'll be absolutely amazed at what your body can do, if you give it a chance. Be patient. Be persistent. And most importantly, be kind to yourself.

And do worry about folks dissing the treadmill. It's just a tool. Many elite runners utilize treadmills, particularly when the conditions outside are unsafe. I love to run outdoors and wish I could all the time, but ice and snow will usually drive me inside, except for weekend long runs. This quote sums up the silliness of treadmill bashing nicely:

"...the biomechanics, contrary to what many believe, are essentially the same as overground running. “We had to do a study on that [here] to convince the National Institutes of Health to fund some of our other work,” she told Runner’s World Newswire. “People have a bias against treadmill running--that real runners don’t do it, or that it changes your leg movements. It’s all garbage. We found some minor changes, but they weren’t the ones people expected, and they don’t affect anyone’s running biomechanics.”

From here: http://www.runnersworld.com/treadmills/biomechanics-expert-debunks-treadmill-running-myths

They say the runners can continue to improve for 7 years, so keep a very long term view of things and avoid rushing. Your cardiovascular system will improve much faster than your musculoskeletal system will. That means you need to give your tendons, ligaments and even your bones (yes, bones do grow and adapt!) time to adapt to the stress of running.

Good luck and have fun!

Great news that the 1% incline is mostly urban myth... since I don't usually set any incline when I run on treadmill, lol. thanks for sharing!
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I actually do use 1% incline! I find it more comfortable, believe it or not. :o)
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    First rule of running for beginners, never compare yourself to another runner. Your life will be so much easier that way.

1) yes, usually. The more miles you run, the better you'll get at building endruance. But you want to keep it easy miles. Killing yourself running hard every run, burns you out and runs a higher risk of injury. Lots of factors will play into how quickly you build endurance.

2) See above. The more you run, and get accustomed to running the easier it gets to run longer.

A big tip to be able to run longer, is run slower. Too many beginners run too fast.

this is very true never compare...everyone acts just a little different..

again yes as a beginner SLOW is your friend..as a new person you shouldnt be worrying about speed work or hill work or any of that.

though i will reccomend setting a goal..enter a race and work towards a reasonable goal for that race..i.e. finishing
  • kyazuh
    kyazuh Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I have also followed the c25k (Couch-to-5K Running Plan). It is a plan to build up your stamina so you can run a 5k. Last year i started this program myself and went from not being able to run a 5k without walk breaks to running a 5K race (no walk breaks) in about 26 minutes (a personal best).

There are various apps for your smart phone (Zombie run, c25k etc.) and "podcasts" that you can use on your mp3 to tell you when you are supposed to run or walk during your run. I started with: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml and found a podcast there called 'Podrunner: Intervals" (http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html) that I really like.

Another app I like to use to track activities is Endomondo (http://www.endomondo.com/). With it you can set up the app so you are running against yourself.

Like many others have posted, I just stick with water and the only supplements I take are my multivitamin and fish oil. I also find treadmill running too easy and prefer to street run. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to do much running since school started. Instead I have been trying to run up and down the stairs. I wonder how much my stamina has tapered off since I haven’t been running for so long.

Keep working at it and some days your run will be fantastic the next not so much. Something I saw that I think of when I have a bad run day. "No matter how slow you are you lapped the person on the couch". Keep running against your own time.

Hope that helps
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I find running outside is easier. once the weather clears up for you,you'll probably agree. It's way less boring as well. I started running 3 years ago. I started out with the couch-to-5k plan. I now run half marathons and want to start training for a full this year. Here is the link to couch-to-5k. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I agree with coffee as an awesome supplement. :drinker: I also use protein powder isolate and drink shakeology.

Good luck to you. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • CindyB97
    CindyB97 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'll add my two cents as one beginning runner to another. I say I'm a beginner even though I started over 2 years ago. I still feel I know virtually nothing about running so I'm always fascinated by threads like this; I learn something every time. I started while I was solidly in the "obese" category, now I'm merely overweight and my running is a little easier but it's still challenging. I started at about 14-15 minute miles (yes, that's probably technically jogging instead of running but it was all I could do) now I'm at about 10-1/2 minute miles (still slow but it's progress). I go from 3-5 miles about 2 days a week, and I can do the 3-5 miles without stopping (so as you can see, I'm still a true novice).

My small bit of advice to you is to keep a journal. You don't have to record every run, but occasionally record your progress, especially if you start using a Couch-to-5K program. Record your time, distance, how you felt, and anything funny/interesting that happened during your run. I have run many organized 5K races, so I also include the piece of paper with my number (i know there's probably a name for that but can't think of it), along with notes from the race. It's a fun and inspiring way to keep track of your progress.

Good luck!
  • LeGaCyGiAnT124
    Options
    I will have to start logging my runs as well. I am glad I am not the only one learning from this thread!!!