Do you support your local music scene?

Options
13»

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    2014_02_03_10_52_35_1.jpg

All the jobs listed as "not working for free" in this poster got their experience by paying to attend school and internships (which are usually unpaid and often times paid for). Not to mention arguments like supply and demand, and risk/reward in terms of "paying" for "quality" of a musician vs "quality" in your plumber.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    As a musician myself, I try to support the local scene. Unfortunately, we don't have many good original bands (and places that want original music) in southeastern Connecticut. And it tends to get tiring going and hearing the same stuff I don't particularly care for - most newer "alternative" or whatever it's called nowadays rock.

Were there a good prog-rock/metal band or two here - I'd be all over it like white on rice.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    2014_02_03_10_52_35_1.jpg

All the jobs listed as "not working for free" in this poster got their experience by paying to attend school and internships (which are usually unpaid and often times paid for). Not to mention arguments like supply and demand, and risk/reward in terms of "paying" for "quality" of a musician vs "quality" in your plumber.

for anyone involved with any of the arts this is becoming a huge issue (As a photographer I've been asked to do many things for free,for the exposure blah blah. many times it is from a company that has it in their budget to pay (and who should know better) . all artists I know are happy to contribute to a worthy cause, but they expect to be paid for their work otherwise. anyone who is at the level of playing live regularly has probably paid their dues it's just greedy club owners (Been around this longer than you've been around and at first you got paid and the club collected or not at the door (I was in a Union act in the 70's) , then it became you got the door (and in some cases a percent of liquor sales if you were a proven draw). then the door.... then someone decided you would be given tickets to "sell" to family friends fans andf that would be how you got paid, but if you didn't draw more people than you had tickets you wouldn't get booked again (for the crappy tuesday night they offered you) . Big music fests like SXSW and NXNE don't pay the local acts at all (Exposure again) bands flying in from other countries may get $100 per appearance (usually 2 maybe 3) . so the poster is insanely valid. Yes other careers have apprenticeships (which in many places are still paid jobs and sometimes by law are paid) . Bet you download music without paying as well (that's called theft in my books as is taking artwork to illustrate something without paying (or even asking - I've invoiced several people/companies for this one - I only shoot part time now and mostly for fine art shows and avoid any of that hitting the web in any form)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've always loved live music and when I was in my 20s and single and then early 30s and just married, I frequented the downtown establishments with local, live bands...loved it.

Having kids changed a lot of things though...it was easy to head out to the bars on a Friday and Saturday night when it was just my wife and I...and we were full of energy and just ready to party and jam come the weekend...kiddos really put a damper on that.

For one thing, come the weekend we're pretty much just exhausted; secondly, we're busy trying to figure out what exactly we're going to do to entertain these two kids for the next couple of days...zoo, aquarium, dinosaur museum...what's it gonna be? Then we just have the regular old home economics to take care of...cooking and cleaning and fixing things around the house and doing the weeks grocery shopping, etc. Then, if we do want to go anywhere we have to find a baby sitter (which isn't cheap) and really, at that point we're more likely to just take in dinner and a movie as the peace and quiet is a rarity.

For me anyways, it really just comes down to being in a place in my life that just isn't conducive to supporting my local music scene.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I wish more people would say where their local music scene is.

I used to live in Portland and I used to love to support local music, until everything became about fairly cookie-cutter style indie pop music. For the record, if you are in town, you should check to see if Flutter and Wow are playing. They are terrific and not too trendy / poppy.

I used to live in San Francisco and could never afford to go to shows, even the local ones, but the scene seemed pretty awesome (and eclectic).

Now, I live in Boise and I hate the local music scene. For anyone who's had the pleasure of hearing Blaze and Kelly, you'll know what I'm talking about. I think one of the singers sounds like Chewbacca and, other than that, they mostly play bad cover songs. I feel like there are way too many solo singer / songwriters around town (I know it's not the only kind of music). There are some bluegrassy / folky gems, though, like Hillfolk Noir.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say, is that I support good music wherever it is. I just wish certain localities didn't follow crappy trends.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

for anyone involved with any of the arts this is becoming a huge issue (As a photographer I've been asked to do many things for free,for the exposure blah blah. many times it is from a company that has it in their budget to pay (and who should know better) . all artists I know are happy to contribute to a worthy cause, but they expect to be paid for their work otherwise. anyone who is at the level of playing live regularly has probably paid their dues it's just greedy club owners (Been around this longer than you've been around and at first you got paid and the club collected or not at the door (I was in a Union act in the 70's) , then it became you got the door (and in some cases a percent of liquor sales if you were a proven draw). then the door.... then someone decided you would be given tickets to "sell" to family friends fans andf that would be how you got paid, but if you didn't draw more people than you had tickets you wouldn't get booked again (for the crappy tuesday night they offered you) . Big music fests like SXSW and NXNE don't pay the local acts at all (Exposure again) bands flying in from other countries may get $100 per appearance (usually 2 maybe 3) . so the poster is insanely valid. Yes other careers have apprenticeships (which in many places are still paid jobs and sometimes by law are paid) . Bet you download music without paying as well (that's called theft in my books as is taking artwork to illustrate something without paying (or even asking - I've invoiced several people/companies for this one - I only shoot part time now and mostly for fine art shows and avoid any of that hitting the web in any form)

It still boils down to supply and demand (some companies won't pay for what someone will do for free, and they shouldn't "have" to if they are willing to accept the quality that they get for free). It's like teachers, they all want to be paid more. We all agree that they don't get paid enough for the work they do. But as long as there are 10 teachers for every 1 opening (numbers are made up but knowing the number of unemployed people with teaching degrees as I do, not unreasonable), there will be teachers willing to do the job for lesser pay. That means the teachers who EXPECT higher pay don't get the job.

And it's not theft if you agree to do it for free. Sorry, it's not. Don't do unpaid gigs, and copyright your materials and take legal actions against people who violate your copyright.

I guess I don't get why a musician would feel "entitled" to pay when offered an unpaid gig. You could always just, you know, turn it down.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

I guess I don't get why a musician would feel "entitled" to pay when offered an unpaid gig. You could always just, you know, turn it down.

Ha! this.

Also, as a teacher, I have to agree with the good doctor. I love to complain about not making enough money, but the market is flooded with would-be teachers. Nobody HAS to pay us more than basically the equivalent of minimum wage. Hopefully, like me, most folks aren't even in this profession for the money. Plus, we get summers off!
  • victal
    victal Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Yep sure do :drinker:
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Yes. :)
  • llabruce4
    llabruce4 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes, Charleston S.C. has a great music scene, and I tend to really only listen or download that type of music anyway. Plus just love live music
  • HipsterWhovian
    HipsterWhovian Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Brighton, UK has an amazing array of venues, and plays host to brilliant local bands, as well as some huge names too. I haven't been to a gig at all in 2014 yet, but that will all change soon!