Working out 6 hrs a day?????

Options
Sorry if this has been talked about already, but I just seen the People interview with Rachel from the biggest Loser! She was working out 6 hrs a day eating only 1600 calories!!! I'm sorry that is CRAZYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Frederickson told People she worked out six hours a day and consumed 1,600 calories a day. She admitted to People she "maybe was a little too enthusiastic" with her training

Replies

• HelloImKelsey
    HelloImKelsey Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    WHAAT?! I can hardly stand 6 hours a week. Heck 6 hours a week at the gym is better than most weeks for me.
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I call bull****.
  • Territravel
    Territravel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Poor Rachel. She went from being obese, to being skinny, with what sounds like a eating disorder.
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Wow. Once when I was dieting I was pretty insane about it. I ate very little and exercised 2.5 hours per day. I was tired all the time and ended up losing a tonne of hair. Needless to say, it was unsustainable and I ended up gaining it all back.

I hope Rachel can find a balance cause if she doesn't she will gain all the weight back. There is no way she can sustain doing that much exercise. Her body actually looks ok, but if you see her face she looks like she's aged considerably.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If that's all I had to do all day and there was that much money on the line - sure I'd probably find some motivation to do it too. Plus all that time on the Ranch - don't they work out all day there too? So by time she was home she was used to it.
  • iamMLH
    iamMLH Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about her specifically, but it's important to know that not everyone uses words like "exercise" to mean the same thing. When I taught martial arts, I was very active for 6+ hours a day, and I would workout before and after. That being said, I wasn't working out for 8 hours a day. I was active for 8 hours a day and worked out for 2 hours.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    If that's all I had to do all day and there was that much money on the line - sure I'd probably find some motivation to do it too. Plus all that time on the Ranch - don't they work out all day there too? So by time she was home she was used to it.
    ^^^ this
    I don't know anything about her specifically, but it's important to know that not everyone uses words like "exercise" to mean the same thing. When I taught martial arts, I was very active for 6+ hours a day, and I would workout before and after. That being said, I wasn't working out for 8 hours a day. I was active for 8 hours a day and worked out for 2 hours.
    ^^^ and this

i'll add, though, i've put in 5 hour per day workouts on multiple occasions in the past before. like actually working out for 5 hours per day - be it running, hot yoga, spinning classes - usually actually a combination of all of that. it's ****ing hard, but doable.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

Yeah. It was essentially her full-time job and she was paid VERY WELL for it.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Well given her extreme weight loss I wouldn't be surprised if she had worked out for 6 hours a day. This is why I think the biggest loser is so weird, it's totally not setting these people up for real life. Most people can't maintain that forever.
  • rubixcyoob
    Options
    I've never watched the Biggest Loser before but based on these comments I can believe she was working out for 6+ hours a day. If you had so much money on the line, and nothing else to do all day bar exercise, you'd do it.
    Plus, it doesn't mean she was doing strenous effort for all 6+ hours - a light hike/walk, a casual bike ride, a swim etc. it all adds up.

However, I do agree with the poster who said it doesn't set them up for real life. Once they are back to their everyday lives, with jobs and family, there is no way they will be able to maintain such a routine and they will struggle trying to find effective exercise that they can do in 1/6 of the time they are used to.

It all seems to set them up for a fall.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    If it was a show about people learning how to realistically lose weight for permanent change it probably wouldn't get a lot of viewers.

It is television, after all.
  • 6ronXtreme9
    6ronXtreme9 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    TNA's wrestler Kurt Angle works out 8 hours a day. :p
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Yes that is extreme. 1600 calories per day and 6 hours of training. Of course she has a lot of publicity and a quarter million dollars to show for it. That is what the "reality" show propagates... Extremism. She was rewarded for her extremism and that is the way the show is set up.. Of course, we all know that is excessive and thankfully most on this board know that is not a healthy way to do things... Unfortunately, there are a lot of teenage girls out there trying to emulate this farce in the name of "reality" television.

That being said, I probably spend too much time in the gym... Many sessions will be 1.5-2 hours (not all cardio.. usually a balance between the two)... Not every day but many days. It is a release and has its rewards... For most, an 30 minutes to an hour per day for 4-5 days per week should be more than sufficient. One cannot allow anything (even worthy things) to totally consume his life. I too hope that she finds balance but I am really concerned for what I believe this type of show is doing to the teenage kids that may think that that is the way to go...
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

That's his job.:smile:
  • Davidhbx
    Options
    WHAAT?! I can hardly stand 6 hours a week. Heck 6 hours a week at the gym is better than most weeks for me.

6 hrs a week is quite good. shouldn't you think it should be day instead of week. :wink: :laugh: :noway:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Yeah. It was essentially her full-time job and she was paid VERY WELL for it.

And that's how you win. You treat it as a job, and you're working for that payday. Boom.

I'm assuming she was the winner? Good for her if so, that's a stupid amount of money.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

That's his job.:smile:

And....stay with me here...I'm guessing he does a better job of fueling himself.
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options

agreed!!!
  • That is crazy!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    She said 6 hours a day. Not 6 consecutive hours a day. One could essentially work out 2 hours in the morning, 2 in the afternoon and then 2 in the evening.
    At one time I was working out 4 hours a day (I was a total gym rat back then) and would come in 2 hours in the morning and then 2 hours in the evening. Mind you it was working out all the way through those 2 hours. Some of it was resting and BSing with the gym friends.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition