I need to try something different...

Options
40 yrs old, 6' 1", 297lbs, sedentary (student).

(Btw, picture is not current, I am now 20+ pounds heavier.)

I just don't think I should be eating back my exercise calories right now. Maybe I am over calculating what I burn or under calculating what I eat, and I think this is giving me a false sense of intake.

I am thinking about just setting a calorie goal for the day and not entering any exercise and just stay within those parameters. I am just getting tired of gaining back weight every time I try to follow a TDEE calorie plan.

Has anyone else tried this? Any suggestion? I take a hypothyroid medicine so I believe my metabolism runs slower than normal.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd switch to TDEE-20%, that way you don't have to even worry about exercise calories... Use http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/. If you think your metabolism is slower, just eat 100-150 less calories than it tells you.

And make sure to weigh all your food, so you don't have to worry about underestimating the calories that you eat.
  • Crystallee79
    Crystallee79 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have you tried changing the type of calories you're eating?? Like eating more lean meats vs. red meat? Or fruit and veggies instead of chips and cookies? (not that I know for sure if you eat that stuff, but, ya know) :)
    It might not be the number of calories, just the source of them.
    Good luck getting back on track!
  • AshTrixxy
    AshTrixxy Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my calories from exercise. If I do, I don't really see results. I also have changed the type of calories I eat. It's probably difficult because you are a student, finding time to cook. However adding more fresh fruits and vegetables as opposed to something like the college staple Ramen will make you feel like you have more energy and will sit on your body differently. Good luck with school! Sucks being a student trying to do this for yourself- been there, feel your pain.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other responses. Don't eat your exercise. I would still enter it, though--it feels good to see it tracked! :) Also, I find that I am able to stick to MUCH lower calories if I restrict processed foods, simple starches and dairy and stick to whole foods like meats, fruits, vegetables, and nuts. The fewer calories will keep you feeling much more full so you won't want to eat your exercise!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    If you don't weight/measure your food, then you're likely underestimating your intake. If you aren't logging accurately, you might be better off not eating all of your exercise calories back, because you're probably eating them back already without knowing.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Just record the total amount of calories you consume and record your weight as well and make adjustments to your intake if weight after a few weeks has stalled or increased. Do this going forward and forget about all the acronyms that really don't matter.
  • joshualandin
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I tend to eat a lot of whole foods during the week (lean, veggies, low processed) and then more "bad" food on the weekends. I definitely feel better when I eat less processed food.

I will not eat back exercise cals until I get closer to my goal and I start to stall out. I will also shoot for 20% of my TDEE (minus workout cals).

Ugh, so frustrating!