Struggling to reach target for muscle gain

2»

Replies

• Try not to worry so much about eating "clean". focus on eating foods you enjoy and that are Natural.. from the land. Eggs Milk Fruits Veggies Grains Legumes Meats, anything really as long as its not processed or junk food.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    So is it ok to eat more 'crappy' deemed food (ie muffins, etc) as long as you get the calories and protein in? (without going overboard on the fats/sugars to avoid atherosclerosis/diabetes)

I believe that if you do go the 'eat anything' route whilst bulking you're going to gain more fat than if you ate 'cleaner'.

No. The amount of ones surplus will determine how much fat they will gain; not the quality of calories.

Do you have access to a barbell? You may want to change up your routine if you do. You're not going to see a lot of muscle gains with 13.5 kg. You need to be in a progressive loading program, and consider hypertrophy, to gain lean mass.

Protein powder is great to add calories and protein.

Muscle is very hard to gain under the best of circumstances. Really think about your workout first, then tweak your diet. All the protein in the world isn't going to add mass if you don't work the muscle.

Good question here; you can eat all you want but what is your lifting program like?
  • goredguar
    goredguar Posts: 63 Member
    Do you have access to a barbell? You may want to change up your routine if you do. You're not going to see a lot of muscle gains with 13.5 kg. You need to be in a progressive loading program, and consider hypertrophy, to gain lean mass.

Protein powder is great to add calories and protein.

Muscle is very hard to gain under the best of circumstances. Really think about your workout first, then tweak your diet. All the protein in the world isn't going to add mass if you don't work the muscle.

I have virtually no muscle on me due to my past ED (apart from my legs due to running), and my arm muscles are killing me right now - I will try to up the weight again soon though! I have 20kg max on my dumbbells available right now.
    Peanut Butter....eat it.

Allergic to nuts.
    Good question here; you can eat all you want but what is your lifting program like?

I'm using a book (not sure how 'good' it's deemed, but it has helpful step-by-step walkthroughs for each exercise) called "The Body Sculpting Bible for Women" by J Villepigue and H Rivera.

The workouts change every 2 weeks, with 3 different workouts a week. For example, this week it's telling me to do:

(Keeping in mind this is their beginner end routine, designed for someone who only has access to dumbbells, there's some more 'aggressive / advanced' ones there too, plus routines using gym equipment I don't have)

Reps is 12-15 with lighter weights for first couple of weeks until muscles used to movements, then 10-12, then 6-8 once base strength/movement better. 3 sets per exercise, and they're grouped into compound exercises, so I do 1 set and move onto the next exercise immediately in that pair, then rest for 1 min, repeat that pair, rest again, repeat, rest and move onto the next pair (so each day has 4 pairs of compound exercises).

Day 01
    Dumbbell one-arm row
    Pushup
    Dumbbell shoulder press
    Standing calf raise (one leg)
    Dumbbell curl
    Overhead Dumbbell Extension
    Stiff-legged deadlift

Rest (I do cardio on 3 of my rest days, apart from 1 rest day where I do no exercise)

Day 03
    Dumbbell Squat
    Dumbbell Lunge
    Ballet Squat
    Stiff-Legged Deadlift
    Standing Calf Raise (one leg)
    Upright Row
    Standing calf raise (two legs)
    Triceps kickback

Rest

Day 04
    Two-arm row
    Flat Dumbbell fly
    Bent over lateral-raise on incline bench
    Hammer curl
    Lying dumbbell extension
    Ballet Squat
    Dumbbell Lunge

Rest
    Rest

Also, on cardio days it asks me to do 2-4 out of these:
    Lying Leg Raise
    Crunch
    Curl and Crunch
    Bicycle
    Knee-In
    V-Up

Any good or should I invest in another book?
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    SleeplessinBerlin Posts: 513 Member
    almond butter? sunflower seed butter?
  • There's a difference between sculpting and gaining mass/weight. Sculpting is about gaining muscle definition and toning up. You won't gain much mass doing light weight, high reps which is what your current routine is. Read what I posted earlier. It works.

Alternatively, eat more simple carbs. It's easily digestible and you burn through it quickly to get hungry again. Whatever you're regular meals are now, just add a slice of bread or pastry per meal. A slice of bread is 66 calories. 3 a day = 198 calories x 7 days = 1386 calories a week = 5544 calories a month = .72 kg weight gained per month.

In theory, in 6 months you'll add 4.32 kg just by eating 3 extra bread slices a day.
  • There are alternatives to peanut butter! Sunflower, almond, etc. Eggs are great too! If you are looking for a muscle supplement I'm talking to my trainer in the morning about the best ones so feel free to message me and add me and I can tell you what they say!
  • Not everything you listed are compound exercises. Some of them are pointless, excessive or similar to existing exercises on same days. I'd get rid of some of them. See the ones with XX. It's up to you if you want to do cardio on rest days. However if you're sore then it's best to rest. Without rest you will not see any gains. Soreness = muscle fiber damage which requires rest and food to repair. If you don't get enough food and rest, you may experience muscle loss instead of gains. Over training is also a leading cause of injury.

Here's my recommendation. Remember to keep proper form to avoid injury.

Day 01
    Dumbbell one-arm row
    Pushup
    Dumbbell shoulder press
    Standing calf raise (one leg)
    XX Dumbbell curl
    XX Overhead Dumbbell Extension
    Stiff-legged deadlift <-- switch to regular deadlift, works more muscle groups and less chance of lower back injury

Rest

Day 03
    Dumbbell Squat <-- do this or ballet squat, not both
    XX Dumbbell Lunge <-- deadlifts work similar muscle groups
    Ballet Squat <-- do this or dumbbell squat, not both
    Stiff-Legged Deadlift <-- switch to regular deadlift, works more muscle groups and less chance of lower back injury
    Standing Calf Raise (one leg)
    Upright Row
    XX Standing calf raise (two legs)
    XX Triceps kickback

Rest

Day 04
    XX Two-arm row
    Flat Dumbbell fly
    Bent over lateral-raise on incline bench <--do this instead of two arm row
    Hammer curl <-- combine with overhead press
    XX Lying dumbbell extension
    Ballet Squat <-- do this or dumbbell lunge, not both
    Dumbbell Lunge <-- do this or ballet squat, not both

Rest
    Rest
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Are you allergic to coconut as well? If not, coconut oil may help. Other options include adding cheese & butter to meals, for example having your carbs as mashed potato - made with butter, full fat milk and cheese - instead of rice or pasta.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    how much are you lifting?

if you are running three times a week you are going to have a hard time adding muscle..

Remember there is no "crap food" there is just food that your body uses for energy. If you are having a hard time getting to your target then add in some ice cream …230 calories per serving ….

this.

eat whatever you can- drink your calories. whatever it takes.

No food is off limits- hit your protein- hit your carbs (milk is genius for this) and go to town.
  • mikeabboud
    mikeabboud Posts: 26 Member
    V-Up

Any good or should I invest in another book?

try this one http://www.weightrainer.net/training/beginners.html
    its actual good for any lifter first time or advanced. Check out the articles its all for natural weightlifters and why the full body is the way to go for us.