Working out 6 hrs a day?????

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    She said 6 hours a day. Not 6 consecutive hours a day. One could essentially work out 2 hours in the morning, 2 in the afternoon and then 2 in the evening.
    At one time I was working out 4 hours a day (I was a total gym rat back then) and would come in 2 hours in the morning and then 2 hours in the evening. Mind you it was working out all the way through those 2 hours. Some of it was resting and BSing with the gym friends.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

On 1600 calories a day though?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    She said 6 hours a day. Not 6 consecutive hours a day. One could essentially work out 2 hours in the morning, 2 in the afternoon and then 2 in the evening.
    At one time I was working out 4 hours a day (I was a total gym rat back then) and would come in 2 hours in the morning and then 2 hours in the evening. Mind you it was working out all the way through those 2 hours. Some of it was resting and BSing with the gym friends.

IDEA Fitness member

There are physique competitors out there who do this. They don't do it all the time.

This lady did it to win $250,000. She said she got overzealous. To me, that's a clear indication she isn't still working out 6 hours a day.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I have done a day where I worked out for 6 hours, doing back to back classes at my gym when there was a special open day where they were all free, I managed it, and probably could have managed more at that point, but daily, no way. I would possibly do it if that sort of money was involved. These days, I tend towards doing 2 hours when I hit the gym 3 times a week, interspersed with bike rides, runs and long walks. No way I could do 2 hours a day though, I would be totally burnt out at the intensity I exercise at, especially given I also have COPD.
  • RGv2
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

There are physique competitors out there who do this. They don't do it all the time.

This lady did it to win $250,000. She said she got overzealous. To me, that's a clear indication she isn't still working out 6 hours a day.

That's fine....doesn't really change my opinion over the health aspect of it.
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I would totally believe that she's exercising 6 hours a day ... and I bet it's one helluva workout too. She is beyond skinny. I was shocked when she walked out. And others were, shocked including Jillian and Bob. There was no hiding anybody's reaction. In fact, I am surprised she would be eating even that much. I would bet that the Biggest Loser will change their criteria for the winner after this season and all the backlash from her outcome. She did NOT look good or healthy. I understand she probably did the extreme loss to win the $$ .. but still.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    6hrs is hella long on that much of a restricted diet. The only people I know of who work out that long are professional and Olympic athletes and they eat thousands of calories a day. 6hrs on 1600 has to suck real bad.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who considers these types of shows to be cautionary tales instead of inspirational?
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

How is this any different than a wrestler or MMA fighter cutting weight for a fight? She prbably did all the bobybuilding tricks to dehydrate and I would guess she gained 10 lbs with in 10 hours of that show (but no one wants to ask those questions.)
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    It's not meant to set anyone up for real life. It's a game show.
  • madds2
    madds2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    So sad to think that she started out obese and desperate to lose weight that for her to go on the show was the answer and now that she's won she's being persecuted. I do agree she looks unhealthy....sickly .... whatever you want to call it. I do agree with someone else who posted saying she gave up one food addiction for another. I don't know how that show goes on seeing what they put people through. The show probably says they do not force anything on the contestants that they can choose to leave at anytime and that they are under the supervision of a doctor but man it looks like brainwashing to me. Look it got people talking and she's on the cover of People Magazine.
  • RGv2
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

How is this any different than a wrestler or MMA fighter cutting weight for a fight? She prbably did all the bobybuilding tricks to dehydrate and I would guess she gained 10 lbs with in 10 hours of that show (but no one wants to ask those questions.)

It may not be. I don't agree, nor do I believe it is healthy the way many wrestlers or fighters cut weight either.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Hypergymnasia or sports anorexia is a real thing, even if not ICD10 classified.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypergymnasia

Future triad.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

It may not be. I don't agree, nor do I believe it is healthy the way many wrestlers or fighters cut weight either.

Agreed. Competitors do what they have to to make weight and for other competitive reasons, but that doesn't make their actions something to emulate.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

Not to mention, she's in maintenance mode now which requires a lot less. The weight has all already been shed. $250K, and from an elite national swimming athletic background - she obviously was the right candidate to win the prize as she was no stranger to hard physical work to achieve goals.

Professional cyclists put in 2 - 6 hours a day on the bike - year round. Nobody bats an eye.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    And probably all cardio- they have to lose the biggest percentage of WEIGHT, so muscle as well as fat and water... She's going to have some major repairs to do to get her metabolism and body fat % to healthy now...
  • RGv2
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Agreed. Competitors do what they have to to make weight and for other competitive reasons, but that doesn't make their actions something to emulate.

^^Yep. Our HS wrestling team is top 40 in the nation and it's crazy to see what these kids do to themselves to make weight. Especially the kids trying to hit that lower weight (after they get out of junior high).
  • bradXdale
    Options
    TNA's wrestler Kurt Angle works out 8 hours a day. :p

Yeah but Kurt Angle is an Olympic gold medal winner.

It is also his full time job to perform on TV athletically

;)
  • RGv2
    Options

Not to mention, she's in maintenance mode now which requires a lot less. The weight has all already been shed. $250K, and from an elite national swimming athletic background - she obviously was the right candidate to win the prize as she was no stranger to hard physical work to achieve goals.

Professional cyclists put in 2 - 6 hours a day on the bike - year round. Nobody bats an eye.

And they probably eat more.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Sure, it's "not healthy," but that's not the point of the contest. Just like fighters, BBers, models, and any other profession that cuts weight to make a certain apperance or weight for their sport/contest. Again, what is her weight 24 hours after the contest? 72 hours? 1 week? 2 weeks?

Why are judging her "not healthy" weight, when we dont know what her non-contest weight really is.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    IDIOT!