Fitbit vs Polar HRM

Options
Which one should I invest in?

Leaning towards Fitbit.

Fitbit vs Polar FT4

The Polar FT4 comes with a chest strap, shows heart rate, target zone, calories burned, etc.
(http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Monitor-Watch-Silver/dp/B001U0OFCS/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1392307715&sr=1-1&keywords=polar+ft4)

Fitbit tracks calories, sleep and entire activity level / calories burned throughout the day
(http://www.fitbit.com/)

Any help? :)

Replies

• Akraz
    Akraz Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I bought the Polar FT7 and I love it.

I highly recommend it over the Fitbit as the fitbit doesnt have a HRM strap.... it cant accurately portray your BPM and how many calories you're actually burning
  • bradXdale
    Options
    I bought the Polar FT7 and I love it.

I highly recommend it over the Fitbit as the fitbit doesnt have a HRM strap.... it cant accurately portray your BPM and how many calories you're actually burning

That's what I'm leaning towards, plus it's about 35$ cheaper via Amazon.
  • LeighTaylor97
    LeighTaylor97 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't have a fitbit so I can't really judge, but it seems more gimmicky to me. It probably works, but I want something that tracks my calories during workouts, not necessarily everything throughout the day.

I have a polar and like it a lot.
  • JustT1m
    JustT1m Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you are looking at the Fibit why not check out the Polar Loop it can do both track like Fitbit and has a HRM option. Take a look at this reveiw http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/12/polar-depth-review.html
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    They are different tools for different purposes. I have both a Fitbit and a Polar H7 paired with my iPhone. The Fitbit is great for tracking your daily activity level. I set my MFP activity level at Sedentary and let my Fitbit build up my calories. My HRM is used exclusively for training. While it does track the number of calories burned during a workout, I use it mostly to track and monitor my intensity level. I had a history of working out too hard too early and burning out before I really accomplished anything. The HRM lets me track my intensity (like a tachometer in a car) and I can keep myself working at a sustainable intensity which pushes instead of crushing me. I've had both for almost two years and cannot say which I would give up first.
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have both.

Bought the F6 for workouts several years ago.

Bought a FitBit to track my BMR/TDEE. I wear that all day and night.

I put my HRM monitor on when I workout. Synch my FitBit with MFP and enter in the time I started to workout, the calories burned, and the duration. It overrides the FitBit #s.

After typing that, I sound like a geek.
  • bradXdale
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses!

I went ahead & decided to pick up the Polar HRM.

I really just want to track my calories & to see if I'm on the zone while training.

Thanks everyone! :)
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I have both.

Bought the F6 for workouts several years ago.

Bought a FitBit to track my BMR/TDEE. I wear that all day and night.

I put my HRM monitor on when I workout. Synch my FitBit with MFP and enter in the time I started to workout, the calories burned, and the duration. It overrides the FitBit #s.

After typing that, I sound like a geek.

I have a FT4 and a Fitbit Force. And I am a geek. I even have a Garmin for golf that shows me how far I am from the green, so I shudder to think how geeky I will look wearing all that crap on the golf course this season. Something will have to go.

But to address the OP, they do different things so get whatever suits you. It sounds like you want to monitor the efficiency of your workouts. If that is the case the HRM will make more sense for you.
  • smedynski
    Options
    I've had both...honestly I don't even use my Fitbit anymore I gave it to my husband.

I would vote for the Polar any day :-)
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I own the Polar FT4 so I can't compare, but I really like it!! I think my battery is finally starting to go after close to a year of daily use. It really pushes me to workout harder when I see my heartrate constantly.
  • legallysteph
    legallysteph Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE my Polar HRM!
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have an older model polar HRM and the fit bit flex. They are totally different tools. I love my fitbit for monitoring my overall daily activity and motivating me to move a little more everyday. I love my HRM to monitor actual calories burned when I work out and my training levels. They both serve a purpose for me and both are great tools in my opinion.
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have both! I use my Fitbit to track my steps and I use my Polar HRM to track my calories burned and heart rate during my workouts! :happy:
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I have both! I use my Fitbit to track my steps and I use my Polar HRM to track my calories burned and heart rate during my workouts! :happy:

+1

I think there are 2 different goals/purposes so it's a good idea. For me, I am all about the burn and heartrate.... I used to go walking but after 12 years of powerwalking, I barely even broke a sweat, even after 4 miles. So I am not going to obsess over getting steps in. It's all about personal goals and what YOU want.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    If you had to pick just one, I'd definitely go with the HRM. I have both, and the Fitbit is mainly a pedometer and has a hard time tracking other activities accurately.
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    If you are looking at the Fibit why not check out the Polar Loop it can do both track like Fitbit and has a HRM option. Take a look at this reveiw http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/12/polar-depth-review.html

I got the Polar F7 for Christmas and love it. I also was looking for a more accurate calorie burn. Was also fun to see how many calories I burn shoveling snow, and more snow and more snow,,oh sorry, this is the never ending winter.

Anyways, I am in a competition at my jazzercise club to lose the most inches and win a Polar loop. Its a bit more expensive and I think you have to purchase the chest strap separately, but I already got that!
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options

I have a FT4 and a Fitbit Force. And I am a geek. I even have a Garmin for golf that shows me how far I am from the green, so I shudder to think how geeky I will look wearing all that crap on the golf course this season. Something will have to go.

I forgot to mention I have the Garmin Forerunner 305CX for tracking the distance and pace of my spring and fall runs. But it died in the off season and I don't have the money right now to get it fixed. I run the same routes when I do run regularly so I know how far and how fast based on the roads and my HRM, but yes - i am that person that wears 2 watches. I guess the Garmin will have to say in the drawer and I believe the FitBit should do a good job tracking the steps/miles.
  • seffti
    Options
    I wanted to get a FitBit Force, but now I'm leaning towards the Polar FT7. It seems like it's more accurate than the FitBit. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • 247Hustler
    247Hustler Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had a Polar Loop, A fitbit One and now a fitbit force.

I love the fitbit force out of all 3. The polar loop was secure on my wrist unlike the fitbit force but to me it was not accurate when compared to the fitbit one. I didn't like the fitbit one because of the trouble you had to go through to track sleep using a separate arm band etc. Now the Polar loop was fully water proof which was a big plus especially after yesterday I fell off the boat while wearing the fitbit force which is still working after being submerged in salt water. (SO THANKFUL).. Anyways I know I am rambling but it is really personal preference at the end of the day. Pick what you like and what you want. If you are going extremely hard and want to track HR etc then get the fancy POLAR that does heart rate. For HR I bought the Garmin Forerunner 220 with HRM. So far it is working for me. I only track HR when I go for a walk outside or a run. When on the treadmill I use the annoying bars to measure HR.
  • 3Heather24
    Options
    I've been using the Polar FT7 for about a month, and I LOVE it!