Almond Milk..is it good?

Options

Replies

• allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    YAY! I'm so excited to try it now! The funny part is I live on a dairy farm/starting our own dairy farm in a few months yet I'm inquiring about almond milk heheh. I love regular milk and believe is good for you but just looking into lower calorie options/to mix protein shake with!
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Tastes good, low cals, but also lower in protein than regular milk. I use it for cereal instead of water (like oatmeal or weetabix) sometimes if that's what we have (lactose issues).
  • CookieEmporium
    CookieEmporium Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love it! Out of all the alternative milks I think it's the best (and I've tried them all). I like the unsweetened vanilla, either from Almond Breeze or Silk. There is one brand (Almond Breeze, maybe?) that makes one that has 5g protein per cup and I tried it but I didn't like the flavor. I think they add pea protein to it.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I love it! I am lactose intolerant and i use it a lot! I eat in in cereal in mac n cheese just drink it, I use the unsweetened and it is better for you than soy milk for sure!
  • lmm06021974
    Options
    Yes, it is very healthy I use Califa farms almond coconut milk in my smoothies and for a snack.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    yes
    /thread
  • CMcBryer
    CMcBryer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You'll have to try it. I hate it in cereal, but it's fine in smoothies/shakes.

This. I think the reason behind my dislike of it in cereal is that it has an oily mouth feel. The taste is fine, though.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The only issue I have with almond milk is how low in protein it is
  • lanafalls
    lanafalls Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i think it's just ok...personally i love coconut milk. the vanilla variety is my fave. perfect on cereal and in baked oatmeals.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love it in my smoothies!! Almond milk + chocolate protein powder, a banana and ice. Tastes like a Wendy's Frosty :)
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    It's decent for mixing in stuff where you don't want the blandness of water.

Avoid the stuff with the ingredient 'carrageenan' in it. It's super bad for your guts.

IIRC, Silk doesn't have it.
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    I use almond milk in my smoothies that I make in the morning.

1 banana
    5 strawberries
    1 scoop of whey vanilla protein
    1 1/2 cups of unsweetened vanilla almond milk

YUM!
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    +1 more for Almond Milk. I prefer the Blue Diamond Almond Breeze brand over any other. I always get the unsweetened vanilla carton. Obviously it doesn't taste like cow's milk, but it's tasty in it's own right. I love mixing it with my chocolate protein powder. Taste like chocolate milk!
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have it every day - the unsweetened version. Almond Breeze is my favourite brand. Its really high in calcium and low in sugars, which is the main problem with cows milk.

I have also tried Alpro Hazelnut milk which was even more delicious, but a bit more pricey and higher in calories.
  • MagMar42
    MagMar42 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a newbie on this Fitness Pal...I have never been a milk drinker my whole life but enjoy almond milk on cereal,delish in oatmeal.., smoothies... in hot chocolate..plus it's heart healthy.I have also switched to the 30 calorie version in the milk coolers..hoping this minute calorie adjustment eases this weight loss journey....:at times for extra sweetness have added a sprinkle of splenda
  • thohan99
    thohan99 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    May I suggest that you buy a half-gallon and try it? It can be expensive, but I'm a fan. I prefer un-sweetened, un-vanilla'd, but I'm kind of h-core that way ☺
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Just do some online and nutrient panel checking and compare it with what you're looking for. The nutritional benefits as far as protein and things like calcium really vary, and depend largely on fortification. I haven't looked much for myself, but for my kids (who need calories) I came to the conclusion that many of the "alternative milks" are variations on flavored water--do it for the taste or to compliment something (cereal, whatever), or to save calories, but realize that some of them contain little nutrition.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    My wife just discovered it and is really enjoying it. I tried it - it is tasty.
  • wildrosegeo
    wildrosegeo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you've only ever had cow's milk, almond milk might take a bit of getting used to.

I love it! I only buy unsweetened, and use it often. I'm not a fan of soy milk at all, but I love almond milk.
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love it in my smoothies!! Almond milk + chocolate protein powder, a banana and ice. Tastes like a Wendy's Frosty :)

sounds realllly good!