Almond Milk..is it good?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    How does the price compare with regular old cow milk?

I pay 2.99 for a half gallon of Almond Milk from Save a Lot

I think it equals out to be 2.50 per if you buy the three pack at Costco. The only issue is that they do not sell the unsweetened, but I am not on calorie restriction.
  • StephaineGelinas
    Options
    There is pros and cons

Pros

Low cal
    More calcium them milk
    No Hormones
    Some brands off No GMOS
    NON flavored has low sugars
    Gellan gum : a thickener that is made from bacterium (not linked to any harmful side effects )
    No Lactose

Cons
    Flavored types have ALOT of sugar
    Some can have harmful Additives :
    Carrageenan : reduced the activity of many sulfatase enzymes in intestines and causes inflammation in some people, also seen to cauase cancer in animals .

With that said : My family and I love nut milks of all types . We try to by Carrageenan free brads that are also GMO free. However Silk brand was bought out by Deans foods, I believe DEAN foods have questionable business practices ie: donated millions to stop Gmo transparency.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I really like the vanilla unsweetened. its good to me and only 30 calories for a cup
  • AJLovinLife
    AJLovinLife Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Love Almond milk but only Almond Breeze. I prefer the 30 cal Vanilla. The kids like the Silk but I find it to be way too sweet and weird tasting. We use it as a replacement to cows milks as some in our family can't do cows milk. When the kidos were younger we used to do hemp milk it had better nutritional value than cows milk. However with a houseful of two growing boys I go though 5-6 1/2 gallons a week so I can't afford the Hemp. :)

A really yummy alternative is chocolate hazelnut milk. OMG in a smoothie with a banana, chia seeds and nut butter... SO GOOOOOOD.

HAZELNUT milk?!?!? Where do I find it?

If you have a whole foods or Sprouts near you they have it. If your grocery store has a health food section they might have it. I used to get it though Amazon prime free shipping, plus as a scheduled delivery discount. I don't think it is a prime item anymore and when you calculate it the savings is not what it was. So now I order it though my food coop to get the savings. Here is a link to the one I get. http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Natural-Foods-Non-Dairy-Containers/dp/B002BG38I2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392396022&sr=8-2&keywords=chocolate+hazelnut+milk
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I use it in my protein shakes (can't stand them with just water and almond milk is lower cal than milk). I also like the chocolate almond milk by itself, but that's high calorie and loaded with sugar. But yummy.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Love Almond milk but only Almond Breeze. I prefer the 30 cal Vanilla. The kids like the Silk but I find it to be way too sweet and weird tasting. We use it as a replacement to cows milks as some in our family can't do cows milk. When the kidos were younger we used to do hemp milk it had better nutritional value than cows milk. However with a houseful of two growing boys I go though 5-6 1/2 gallons a week so I can't afford the Hemp. :)

A really yummy alternative is chocolate hazelnut milk. OMG in a smoothie with a banana, chia seeds and nut butter... SO GOOOOOOD.

HAZELNUT milk?!?!? Where do I find it?

If you have a whole foods or Sprouts near you they have it. If your grocery store has a health food section they might have it. I used to get it though Amazon prime free shipping, plus as a scheduled delivery discount. I don't think it is a prime item anymore and when you calculate it the savings is not what it was. So now I order it though my food coop to get the savings. Here is a link to the one I get. http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Natural-Foods-Non-Dairy-Containers/dp/B002BG38I2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392396022&sr=8-2&keywords=chocolate+hazelnut+milk

Thank you!
  • AJLovinLife
    Options
    There is pros and cons

Pros

Low cal
    More calcium them milk
    No Hormones
    Some brands off No GMOS
    Gellan gum : a thickener that is made from bacterium (not linked to any harmful side effects )
    No Lactose

Cons
    Carrageenan : reduced the activity of many sulfatase enzymes in intestines and causes inflammation in some people, also seen to cauase cancer in animals .

With that said : My family and I love nut milks of all types . We try to by Carrageenan free brads that are also GMO free. However Silk brand was bought out by Deans foods, I believe DEAN foods have questionable business practices ie: donated millions to stop Gmo transparency.

Ok I never realized our almond milk contained Carrageenan. I am usually really good at reading the labels, I wonder if years ago it did not contain it. Sigh now I need to try a different brand.
  • duff0427
    duff0427 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk. I have pretty much used it as a dairy milk replacement. I drink it, eat cereal with it, cook with it...etc. Honestly I dont think I could go back to dairy milk. However, my brother hates it. So you may like it or not!
  • duff0427
    duff0427 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I didn't think about the bad things that could be in almond milk. I will have to start watching the labels.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Never tried almond milk but have heard good things! What is it good with for low calorie snacks? Any tips?

Its a lot better if you make it yourself - almond and water. Too much chemicals in the ones from the store.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    There is pros and cons

Pros

Low cal
    More calcium them milk
    No Hormones
    Some brands off No GMOS
    No Lactose

Cons

Ok I never realized our almond milk contained Carrageenan. I am usually really good at reading the labels, I wonder if years ago it did not contain it. Sigh now I need to try a different brand.

You are so right about Carrageenan, that's why I started to make my own almond or coconut milk, when I really fancy some.

I am now thinking of making my own granola bars, too much sugar and chemicals in store bought.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Ice ever liked the flavor of regular milk. I always buy original unsweetened by almond breeze. I love it. I've also tried soy and hazelnut and a few other alternative milks. Almond just always ends up in my fridge. It also keeps longer than regular milk.
  • AJLovinLife
    Options
    There is pros and cons

Pros

Low cal
    More calcium them milk
    No Hormones
    Some brands off No GMOS
    No Lactose

Cons

You are so right about Carrageenan, that's why I started to make my own almond or coconut milk, when I really fancy some.

I am now thinking of making my own granola bars, too much sugar and chemicals in store bought.

Do you have a recipe you prefer for the almond milk? What do you do with all the almond mill left over? I do make our own granola bars and nutballs here is one recipe I really enjoy. http://powerhungry.com/2011/09/homemade-trio-bars-and-homemade-kind-bars/ or these http://powerhungry.com/2008/06/homemade-cliff-bars-no-bake/
    These are really good as well, but I cut them smaller as they are so sweet that they are like a bite of a chocolate bar. http://www.wholeliving.com/172998/chocolate-apricot-nut-bars?center=136761&gallery=136112&slide=172998